Subject: Operation Tidal Wave (Ploesti) Mission Add-on v1.0 rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Joe Carter
Japan
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmb
Hello everyone. I have just submitted my Target for Today mission add-on simulating the infamous attacks on the Ploesti oil refineries by B-24 groups on August 1st, 1943- code-named Operation Tidal Wave.

I have tweaked some game tables and other rules in an attempt to recreate these historic attacks that resulted in a loss of 53 B-24Ds and 660 air-crewmen. It is a deadly mission, and you will be lucky to come through unscathed. You can play it as a single mission, but I recommended playing the mission as part of a larger campaign game. cool

Download here: https://boardgamegeek.com/filepage/158036/operation-tidal-wa...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Polak
Canada
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for an excellent-looking scenario. I am looking forward to giving this one a try! Thanks!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe Carter
Japan
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmb
Thanks for your comment.

I hope you enjoy it, and don't be afraid to leave feedback or suggestions.

I was always fascinated with this disastrous raid ever since I first read about it in Airpower Magazine during the 1980s.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Gregg

St. Paul
Minnesota
msg tools
Hi Joe,

This is super cool that you have developed this TIDALWAVE mission for TFT. It looks really good. As a long time researcher of this mission, and the grandson of a participant I have a few suggestions for you if you are interested...

1. The Bulgarians are interesting, but other than stalking the incoming groups over Bulgaria with their biplanes, I am not aware that they attacked any of the groups on their way to the target.

2. All fighter attacks that I am aware of occurred in the target area or on the way home. It seems like fighter attacks could be possible, but very unlikely on the way in to the target. Some of the worst fighter attacks occurred over the sea off the Greek coast on the way back (probably Zone 7 over water). Flak was the major culprit. Only about 12 of the aircraft lost were shot down by fighters. The rest were shot down or damaged to the point that they could not make it back by flak.

3. You could add more detail by determining which of the targets you're assigned to, and allow for some targets to have been attacked already by preceding groups.

4. None of the B-24D's carried ball turrets that day, and many of the bombers carried only 9 crew members as a result.

5. All of the aircraft carried at least one extra fuel tank in the bomb bay to make it to Bengasi and back. These proved to be highly vulnerable to enemy fire. I would think that on Table 5-15 the DR or 6 or 7 be changed to a Fuel Tank hit similar to the Wing Fuel Tanks result.

6. Many of the aircraft that were damaged or had wounded crews diverted to Allied or neutral bases - Cyprus, Malta, Sicily and Turkey. It might be interesting to add a provision for those options.

7. Navigation at low level was a key aspect of the mission. I am not sure how you'd do it, but some provision for a group missing their target would seem like a historical possibility.

8. The weather in the target area wasn't exactly clear. There had been showers in the area, so I'd allow for at least Haze and 50% cloud cover.

9. A few men were able to bail out in the target area, but at the low altitudes. There should be a penalty in the target area for bailing out. I would think somewhere between a -2 and just considering all bailouts to be from an uncontrolled aircraft.

Feel free to use some of the info on my web page if it is useful: http://389thbg.com/ploesti.htm. It includes a full roster of the aircraft involved, photos, and some sortie report documents so you can what some of the crew experienced that day.

Thanks,

Chris

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe Carter
Japan
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmb
Chris,

Hello. I'd almost forgotten about this add-on! I think it was my first.

I really appreciate your valuable knowledge. Adimittedly, I'm no expert on the Ploesti raid.

To be honest, I don't play TFT much anymore (for various reasons). But I may update the add-on one more time and apply your information.

Thanks again.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.