Subject: This vs Tyrants of the Underdark rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Jason Nolasco
United States
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I keep seeing Tyrants being mentioned here. I am aware it's a deck building area control game, but can they exist in the same shelf or does it become redundant to have both? Are there are any crucial differences between them?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Travis R. Chance
United States
Fishers
Indiana
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
pistonsfan94 wrote:
I keep seeing Tyrants being mentioned here. I am aware it's a deck building area control game, but can they exist in the same shelf or does it become redundant to have both? Are there are any crucial differences between them?

Apples and oranges—but I might be a little bias. I really like Tyrants, but it uses a much more traditional deck accumulation mechanism—like Star Realms. Path is more card management. It also allows you to do everything with 1 mini—you can defend without being there. It has a bit of a civ/tech tree element also not in Tyrants. Tyrants has some cool mechanisms though. I think they’re very different. People are generalizing in terms of card driven area control.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Darrell Goodridge
United States
Windsor Locks
Connecticut
flag msg tools
Currently at 1:2 ratio, getting better every week
badge
I don't want it, I don't need it, but I can't stop myself. - Stabbing Westward
mbmbmbmbmb
I agree. I have both, and I believe there is definitely a place for both in my collection.

Tyrants is a "true" deck-builder, where you have control over what gets added to your deck, and the only card advancement takes it out of the game. Also, there is no combat, only area removal, so less feeling of rampaging around the map.

Path has random card addition, combat by dice rolling, upgraded cards that actually make your deck better, and a tech tree in the structures.

I like them both, and plan to play Tyrants sooner than later after having played Path a few times now.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Mathias
United States
Hendersonville
Tennessee
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
pistonsfan94 wrote:

They are different enough to own both. I like Tyrants better, but it's not a one replaces the other type situation.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.