Subject: Entry 9990 (from the credits) rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Matt Asher
United States
South Lake Tahoe
flag msg tools
badge
WACKY WAVING INFLATABLE ARM FLAILING TUBE MAN!!!
mbmbmbmbmb
No spoilers please! I haven't played yet, but at the end of the credits there is a reference to read entry 9990. A quick flip there shows "the end" so I went no further.

Basically, is it safe to read this since it is part of the credits, or should I wait until some other time...and when might that be?

Thanks,
--Matt
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris J Davis
United Kingdom
London
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Overtext pending moderation...
mbmbmbmbmb
I read it but it didn't seem to make any sense. I'm wondering if anyone else can enlighten me also!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Keith Schellenberg
Canada
Olds
Alberta
flag msg tools
Don't read it, in fact never read it. I've completed the campaign twice, it's never referenced. But some endings have a story point marked at the end that's not used. I made the mistake of reading it (most of it before I figured it out anyways) and it appears to be a future entry. Everything in it seems to take place some time after the events of the current books that are released. The story point at the end of the campaign and this entry from the future seem to show that there is more books coming in the future that will extent this story and at the end of what they have planned you will return here and read entry 9990. So don't read it, it won't spoil the current campaign but might spoil future ones. And as you play, remember that your characters have a future and every choice they make might effect them in more than just this campaign. That fact makes it all the more exciting. This is all based on a hunch with pretty obvious clues, but from everything I've seen, entry 9990 isn't related to the current campaign. Anyone can correct me if I'm wrong.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Asher
United States
South Lake Tahoe
flag msg tools
badge
WACKY WAVING INFLATABLE ARM FLAILING TUBE MAN!!!
mbmbmbmbmb
Truckerpunk1 wrote:
Don't read it, in fact never read it. I've completed the campaign twice, it's never referenced. But some endings have a story point marked at the end that's not used. I made the mistake of reading it (most of it before I figured it out anyways) and it appears to be a future entry. Everything in it seems to take place some time after the events of the current books that are released. The story point at the end of the campaign and this entry from the future seem to show that there is more books coming in the future that will extent this story and at the end of what they have planned you will return here and read entry 9990. So don't read it, it won't spoil the current campaign but might spoil future ones. And as you play, remember that your characters have a future and every choice they make might effect them in more than just this campaign. That fact makes it all the more exciting. This is all based on a hunch with pretty obvious clues, but from everything I've seen, entry 9990 isn't related to the current campaign. Anyone can correct me if I'm wrong.

Superbe response - appreciate your input.
It seems like a teaser then, something FFP (not FFG) did in nearly all their games like last night on earth, touch of evil, etc.

If not otherwise directed, i will read it in my final hour, if possible, because why not?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cameron McKenzie
United States
Atlanta
Georgia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Just seems like a sort of epilogue, or like a bonus scene you might see at the end of the credits when watching a film (and this is quite literally at the end of the credits).

Granted, it doesn't make as much sense here since reading the credits may not be the last thing you do. But, I think that's the idea behind it.

If they didn't intend for it to be read then they wouldn't have an instruction literally telling you to read it.

More to the point, they wouldn't have printed it at all. If it's intended to be used with some future expansion, then they could have simple put the paragraph in that expansion itself.

So, go ahead and read it when you finish the game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cameron McKenzie
United States
Atlanta
Georgia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
There's absolutely the possibility that future material will chronologically take place between the campaign and entry 9990, but that still doesn't make entry 9990 a spoiler because it is something you are intended to read.

Reading entry 9990 is no more a spoiler for future content, then Star Wars episode 4 is a spoiler for episodes 1-3... You aren't always intended to experience fiction in chronological order.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Keith Schellenberg
Canada
Olds
Alberta
flag msg tools
Wel, it makes no sense to the current campaign if you do read it. Its not even set in the same season as the end of the campaign, harvest is in the fall and in this entry it's spring. You can read it yes, it gives no spoilers to what might happen in between (Other then what characters might survive future content). But suggesting to read it after finishing the campaign would be like suggesting watching only the last scene with the celebration in Star Wars episode 6 after watching only episode 4, would it not? That's the only reason I suggest not reading it until an entry instructs you to in the future. The only explaination for it is that there is more content to come that will bring you back to Dragonholt to read the credits and then the entry.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Keith Schellenberg
Canada
Olds
Alberta
flag msg tools
Granted it could be like a Marvel film with an end of credits scene but then one would think it would have something dramatic take place within it that alludes to more content to come would it not? It just seems like something to come back to because none of the game ending entries instruct you to read the credits or that entry at all. It's very odd to have it there for any other reason.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jacob
United States
Elkhorn
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
get off of the computer.
badge
play the games you have.
mbmbmbmbmb
It's just an epilogue. It's clearly a ways in the future given the things described.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Anthony Martins
United States
Eugene
OR
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I just bought the game and haven’t started yet.

I started reading it first but skimmed as I realized I was getting nothing out of it - as it was referring to people I didn’t know.

Why did I read it first? Because I was instructed to do so in the book that literally says “Read This First” on the cover.

You think it would be just some cute thank you to the playtesters or something that would make sense to newbies.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.