BoardGameGeek» Forums » Everything Else » Religion, Sex, and Politics

Subject: Somehow, I knew this was coming rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Andre
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
http://www.cnn.com/2018/01/06/politics/trump-daca-wall-immig...

Trump, champion to the little guy. Talked a mean game about "feeling" for the plight of the Dreamers, but after the election, he throws them to the mercy of Congress, then wants to use them as a bargaining chip, to get his big Wall, that surprise surprise, Mexico will not pay for.

I am almost speechless, when he (and fellow Repubs) would use real people to pursue an agenda. I can only hope this issue blows up in their face, and that they suffer some negative consequences, for this callous, cavalier attitude about fellow human beings. shake

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Oldies but Goodies ... Avalon Hill and
msg tools
mbmbmb
You're acting a bit naive here. Every agenda affects real people. That being said, I know dozens of DACA residents, and they deserve to stay here just as much as anyone else does. If they aren't legal residents in technical terms, they are in practice because this is their country and the only country they've ever known. It's the biggest no-brainer among all of the amnesty proposals.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jorge Montero
United States
St Louis
Missouri
flag msg tools
badge
I'll take Manhattan in a garbage bag. With Latin written on it that says "It's hard to give a shit these days"
mbmbmbmbmb
SPIGuy wrote:
You're acting a bit naive here. Every agenda affects real people. That being said, I know dozens of DACA residents, and they deserve to stay here just as much as anyone else does. If they aren't legal residents in technical terms, they are in practice because this is their country and the only country they've ever known. It's the biggest no-brainer among all of the amnesty proposals.

I wish it was a no brainer... but there are specific brands of conservatism, which some people that are at the white house adhere to, that think it's absolutely on the table.

They think that the whole idea of being born in America being enough for citizenship is bullshit.

They think that letting someone in an H1B extend their stay as long as necessary while their green card is processed is not OK (Green card applications for many H1Bs always take longer than the max H1B stay, so in practice, this means that if you are Indian or Mexican, you'd not be able to get residency in the us)

They consider that giving work permits to spouses of people with US work permits is a bad idea.. that the spouses should just be home makers.

Proposals for some of those rules changes are already being floated in the government right now, some wouldn't require legislation, as they are just USCIS rules.

So yes, I am pretty sure that hate for the brown is just popular enough among conservatism, and absolutely not a deal breaker to enough conservatives that aren't themselves racist, that DACA residents might just get kicked out anyway. Stephen Miller would kick them out. People that liked Arpaio would kick them out.

This republican congress has yet to prove to me that they can do something decent. Maybe they'll surprise me, but given that the end of DACA doesn't mean that they have to pass a bill just not pass one, and McConell can just fail to bring those bills to a vote, I'd not be surprised if the racist agenda will be advanced in 2018.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ken
United States
Crystal Lake
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
SPIGuy wrote:
It's the biggest no-brainer among all of the amnesty proposals.

It's such a no-brainer that Republicans in Congress have either killed or failed to reconcile differences in House/Senate bills every time there's an effort to fix the problem since 2005. And Republican legislatures have either proposed or passed legislation designed to harm illegal immigrants without any exceptions (like in Arizona).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andre
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
SPIGuy wrote:

Its' such a big no brainer, that they can't take the issue on by itself, they have to mix it up with other legislation, in other words, let's get something for making things right regardless. shake

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls

Pennsylvania
msg tools
badge
Bitter acerbic harridan
mbmbmbmbmb
perfalbion wrote:
SPIGuy wrote:

It's such a no-brainer that Republicans in Congress have either killed or failed to reconcile differences in House/Senate bills every time there's an effort to fix the problem since 2005. And Republican legislatures have either proposed or passed legislation designed to harm illegal immigrants without any exceptions (like in Arizona).

It's a no-brainer to appeal to their idiot base.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Very legal & very cool
United States
Lincoln
NE
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
It's going to be fun when the Republicans blame Democrats for not passing this and a possible government shutdown when they control the whole fucking government.

"It's their fault we can't get our shit together and fund the government. They just had to bend over and give us every single item on our anti-immigrant bucket list, but I guess they hate the Dreamers."
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.