Subject: 5 player game most similar to Inis? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
David Cramer
United States
Illinois
flag msg tools
Hey guys!

Last year I took Inis on a guys trip with four guys and we played it 15 times over a weekend. This time we have 5 players - what can I take that will be as close to an Inis experience as possible? (Also does anyone know when the expansion comes out???)

Things I like about Inis: Modular board, area control, some direct conflict, never feeling like you're really out of the game, not just a bunch of point counting at the end, card drafting.

Thanks!
David
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Linnell

Oregon
msg tools
mbmbmb
Hello, I really enjoy blood rage at 5 players: card drafting, area control, and some euro elements, including point counting. Can be swingy but I think it rewards clever play for trailing players. If you session it during the weekend and play 10 plus times, I think you will have a blast. Game length and complexity is similar enough to inis too.
You would need to purchase the base game and 5th player expansion.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Arnaud MATAGOT
France
Bordeaux
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I don’t have one in mind, even Cyclades is quite different, and already closer than Kent or Bloodrage, but the Inis Expansion with the black Irish tribe coming at Essen 2018...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dizz
United States
Arizona
flag msg tools
Inis is quite the unique game. What do you think are your favorite aspects? Maybe your top two, so we have somewhere to start?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gordon Watson
United Kingdom
Banstead
Surrey - United Kingdom
flag msg tools
ASL - other tactical wargames call it Sir.
badge
Beneath this mask there is an idea.....and ideas are bulletproof.
mbmbmbmbmb
Kemet, Shogun/Wallenstein, Princes of the Renaissance, Cyclades - all of them run longer than Inis though, which is kind of unique in doing what it does in about 1 to 1.5 hours.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Allan A.Y.
United States
flag msg tools
mb
Modular area control with exploration is quite the unique feature of Inis
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Todd Parker
United States
Denver
Colorado
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
I heard that this fall there will be a 5 player game coming out that is extremely similar to Inis.
What is the expansion going to be called?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Jose
United States
Pittsburgh
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Close to Inis? I'd say nothing.

Close to a game for five people of getting sucked in and playing an explorationey, diplomacy/wargame all weekend long without getting bored?

In no particular order other than the order I saw them on my shelves, I'd suggest:

https://boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/40692/small-world

https://boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/169786/scythe

https://boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/233078/twilight-imperium...

https://boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/72125/eclipse

https://boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/119788/hyperborea

https://boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/54998/cyclades

https://boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/127023/kemet

Personally, what would excite me for a five person weekend slogfest would be a weekend full of Twilight Imperium. It's big, long, expensive, and scifi though. Not sure if any of those make it a no go.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ronaldo Fatecha
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I think what make Inis unique is not the modular board and the exploration mechanics, but the win conditions tied to area influence (not control) and the specific implementation of hand management and card draft. I really can't name a "5P Inis" but I think Hyperborea is the closest you can get for now (with area control, pool management, modular board, exploration and multiple ways to score points). Strange enough Five Tribes with the WotS expansion also have several of those characteristics (no exploration and hand management is much lighter, still...).

I'm a big fan of Cyclades, Kemet and Small World, but I feel they play very differently from Inis (which is why I have Kemet and Cyclades and someone else in my group has Small World). Still, all great picks for a weekend of gaming!

@Arnaud: will the Seasons expansion be on sale in Essen this year, or will it be just for demonstrations and test?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Matthews
United States
Boston
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Blood Rage

Of course it’s not exactly the same, but it is the most similar game that plays 5. Both are area control games with a focus on card drafting and are more alike than they are different.

And most importantly they really do feel similar in play (I’d say Blood Rage actually plays a bit smoother because the end game is inevitable instead of the possibility of drawing it out like Inis can in some cases when players trade winning conditions back and forth and make the game longer than it should be.)

Yup there are things that make Inis unique, but that wasn’t the question. The question was which 5 player game is most similar.

Really though I’d just wait for the expansion.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Arnaud MATAGOT
France
Bordeaux
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Legonian wrote:
I think what make Inis unique is not the modular board and the exploration mechanics, but the win conditions tied to area influence (not control) and the specific implementation of hand management and card draft. I really can't name a "5P Inis" but I think Hyperborea is the closest you can get for now (with area control, pool management, modular board, exploration and multiple ways to score points). Strange enough Five Tribes with the WotS expansion also have several of those characteristics (no exploration and hand management is much lighter, still...).

I'm a big fan of Cyclades, Kemet and Small World, but I feel they play very differently from Inis (which is why I have Kemet and Cyclades and someone else in my group has Small World). Still, all great picks for a weekend of gaming!

@Arnaud: will the Seasons expansion be on sale in Essen this year, or will it be just for demonstrations and test?

Planning to sell in Essen. Lot of hard work to get there, but we're excited!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ronaldo Fatecha
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Ganybyte wrote:
Blood Rage

Of course it’s not exactly the same, but it is the most similar game that plays 5. Both are area control games with a focus on card drafting and are more alike than they are different.

And most importantly they really do feel similar in play (I’d say Blood Rage actually plays a bit smoother because the end game is inevitable instead of the possibility of drawing it out like Inis can in some cases when players trade winning conditions back and forth and make the game longer than it should be.)

Yup there are things that make Inis unique, but that wasn’t the question. The question was which 5 player game is most similar.

I really didn't like BR at first because it appeared to me that the only legitimate action in the game was attacking something. Then I started paying attention to game play and realized the game is all about hand management and choosing which scoring method is better for you on a given round. I actually had a Homer Simpson moment for not seeing the similarities before. Tragically, this also means that despite been a great game I probably won't be buying BR, to avoid overlap with Inis

PS: Don't you need an expansion to play BR with 5?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Arnaud MATAGOT
France
Bordeaux
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Legonian wrote:
Ganybyte wrote:
Blood Rage

I really didn't like BR at first because it appeared to me that the only legitimate action in the game was attacking something. Then I started paying attention to game play and realized the game is all about hand management and choosing which scoring method is better for you on a given round. I actually had a Homer Simpson moment for not seeing the similarities before. Tragically, this also means that despite been a great game I probably won't be buying BR, to avoid overlap with Inis

PS: Don't you need an expansion to play BR with 5?

Can't see how BR relates to Inis...
All players are different though
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter S.
United States
Sacramento
California
flag msg tools
badge
Isn't there an expansion in the works for Inis that adds bits for a fifth player?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Arnaud MATAGOT
France
Bordeaux
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
ErsatzDragon wrote:
Isn't there an expansion in the works for Inis that adds bits for a fifth player?

Indeed. Targeting Essen 2018
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sweden
Stockholm
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Give Ilôs a try! Different but quicker, less text on cards, less cutthroat, but modular, area control, dudes etc. Ilôs was a surprise hit and felt like it streamlined lot of games on steroids, while doing things smarter than it appeared at the beginning. A keeper that will replace a number of games.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sweden
Stockholm
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Battle for Rokugan? Not modular, but quick, fluid and intriguing. Cards from area control, everyone can reach everywhere, almost.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sweden
Stockholm
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Also, Explorers of the North Sea with the Explorers of the North Sea: Rocks of Ruin supports five players and is modular, exploaration, area control etc. More micro management though with shipping, pick-and-delivery, dudes on ships and islands, stuff on tiles that needs to be addressed. Good game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.