Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Greg
Canada
Winnipeg
Manitoba
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm just finishing up a guide for the first few "easy" monsters, but I was excited to post this guide to painting the first big "boss" miniature.

The Colossal Dark Oak is painted in a similar manner as the other Dark Oaks. I started by adding the usual sand/rock texture to the base, then priming the model with the usual flat black spray paint. This model is made of a different plastic than the others, so the paint came out more shiny and tacky than before. This won't have an effect on the end result however. I've attached the head, but not the arms as they would get in the way while the body is being painted.

First the base is painted with Rhinox Hide to match the others.

Then I used a mix of black and Dryad Bark to paint the trunk/body/head. I varied the mix a bit so that the recesses would be darker than the more prominent parts, like the head.

I followed this up with some Steel Legion Drab. You can use this on its own or add it to the previous mix and see how that looks. Just keep going brighter until it looks about right.

Then I added some Ushabti Bone to the Steel Legion Drab and drybrushed it again, then added some Screaming Skull and drybrushed another layer on. Note that I'm using the lighter mix to mainly add emphasis to the head, knees, etc.

The original artwork for this character had some interesting shifts in hue, so to try and capture that, I'm treating the miniature with some washes with Agrax Earthshade, Nuln Oil and even a bit of purple. The effect of the purple is pretty subtle, but I think it adds a little interest to the model and makes it look more like the original artwork.

After the washes dried, I used some Incubi Darkness to paint all the "leafy" areas. This is a deep teal colour, which adds a lot of depth and interest to the colour scheme than if we had just used plain green.

Next I'm drybrushing those same areas with Caliban Green, then drybrushing again with a mix of Waaagh Flesh and Sand Yellow, adding more Sand Yellow to bring out the leaf texture.

More of the same on the leaves at the back of the model.

At this point the body is essentially done, so I've snapped on the arms (not glued on - I might want to move them later) and painted them exactly the same as the body...

...including the washes, and the leafy bits.

Then highlighting the leaves as before. Since this is a very craggy model that responds well to drybrushing, I didn't really feel the need to go back and add in any detailing with black paint like I did on the others.

I also repainted the black edge of the base (not shown) after gluing on the basing materials. Since this is a large, forest-themed model, I tried to cram in some extra lichen and moss on the base to really emphasize that aspect.

And finally, we have the finished model.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter Schmidt
Germany
flag msg tools
Greg you are awesome! Thx so much for sharing those wonderful pictures with us! :-)

All the best and a quite successful and healthy 2018

Cheers
Peter
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
zee Parks
United States
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
updated pdf painting guide.

http://press.greenbriergames.com/project_folklore/pdf/FLXX%2...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.