Popular Tags: [View All]
Arturo Ron
United States
Miami
FL
flag msg tools
mbmb
How do planeswalkers function?

I know they can take non-combat damage that is redirected from their controller to it.

I know they can be attacked directly during combat.

What I do not know is if it deals damage, or if it can attack or block.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Ferejohn
United States
Mountain View
California
flag msg tools
badge
Pitying fools as hard as I can...
mbmbmbmbmb
No, can't attack or block. It's not a creature. Every one of your turns you can activate one ability at sorcery speed that (usually) adds or subtracts "loyalty tokens" from it (which are functionally its life).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sean Franco
United States
Maplewood
Missouri
flag msg tools
badge
If you could touch the alien sand and hear the cries of strange birds and watch them wheel in another sky, would that satisfy you?
mbmbmbmbmb
This is a good source: https://mtg.gamepedia.com/Planeswalker

Quote:
Planeswalkers enter the battlefield with a set number of loyalty counters, printed in the lower right of the card. A planeswalker can be attacked, like a player, or be dealt damage by an opponent redirecting the damage one of his or her spells would deal to the player controlling the planeswalker. Damage dealt to a planeswalker removes that many loyalty counters and a Planeswalker with no loyalty counters is put into the graveyard.

Planeswalkers usually have three abilities: one ability that adds loyalty counters as a cost for a small benefit, one that removes a small amount of counters as a cost for a larger effect, and one that removes a large number of loyalty counters for a big effect. The last effect is commonly referred to as the Planeswalker's Ultimate ability and usually leaves the opponent in a devastated state. The starting loyalty of a Planeswalker is commonly significantly lower than the cost of the Ultimate and a player has to build up the loyalty to access the Ultimate.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Arturo Ron
United States
Miami
FL
flag msg tools
mbmb
Got it. Thanks!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
CPBelt
United States
Fern Park
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
cferejohn wrote:
No, can't attack or block. It's not a creature. Every one of your turns you can activate one ability at sorcery speed that (usually) adds or subtracts "loyalty tokens" from it (which are functionally its life).

Some can attack/block if they have an ability that allows them to become a creature during the Main phase and the rest of the turn.

Example: Gideon Martial Paragon has the following ability for 0 loyalty tokens.
[0] : Until end of turn, Gideon, Martial Paragon becomes a 5/5 Human Soldier creature with indestructible that's still a planeswalker. Prevent all damage that would be dealt to him this turn.

That's the only way.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.