Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Will Layman
United States
Davidson
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
special rules are to add 3 curse cards to each character attack modifier deck. i only have 10 * curse cards. should i use the M curse cards in place of *? they effectively are the same cards.. just wantto ensure i'm not missing any cards. thanks

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben Ackland
msg tools
Only use the * cards. If you're playing 4p, you'll run out. Distribute as evenly as possible.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jay Johnson
United States
Cedar Falls
Iowa
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
no, M curse cards never go into player decks (nor do the player curse cards ever go into Monster deck).

The 10 player curse cards should be distributed as evenly as possible amongst the 4 characters, with 2 chars getting 2 curses and 2 chars getting 3 curses
Players decide in the case of ambiguity.

You could try to logically decide which 2 get the extra curse, or you could do it randomly.
for example: give everyone 2 curses, then take the 2 remaing curses and two other attack mod cards (like blesses or the -1 cards, doesn't matter as they're just placeholders), shuffle up those four cards and deal 1 to each character. th ones that get the curses put them into their attack deck, while the ones that got the placeholder cards don't put them into their decks and instead return them to their respective piles

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jussi-Pekka Jokinen
Finland
Riihimäki
flag msg tools
At your service!
badge
When in Rome...
mbmbmbmbmb
JayJ79 wrote:
You could try to logically decide which 2 get the extra curse, or you could do it randomly.

I'd try to persuade the players with thicker decks (ie. Brute) to take the extra Curses, because they'd be less likely to show up compared to players with thinner decks (ie. Scoundrel).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt M
United States
NoVA
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thinsilver wrote:
JayJ79 wrote:

I'd try to persuade the players with thicker decks (ie. Brute) to take the extra Curses, because they'd be less likely to show up compared to players with thinner decks (ie. Scoundrel).

Everyone has the same size deck before perks(and in this scenario, nobody should have perks yet)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Will Layman
United States
Davidson
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
thanks for the clarification!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jay Johnson
United States
Cedar Falls
Iowa
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Thinsilver wrote:
JayJ79 wrote:

I was thinking more of suggesting that players with the Eagle-Eye Goggles could take the extra curse, since attacking with advantage can possibly mitigate the curse effects to some degree (especially early in the campaign before rolling modifiers come into play).

Or players that tend to make numerous small attacks vs. single large attacks. (drawing a Null on one attack 2 when you're targetting 2 or 3 different enemies that turn is less painful than drawing a Null when you've set up an 8 point single target attack)

but if the group can't agree on such logic and no one volunteers, sometimes random is the best way to go.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
michael ray
msg tools
mbmbmbmb
JayJ79 wrote:
Thinsilver wrote:
JayJ79 wrote:

I was thinking more of suggesting that players with the Eagle-Eye Goggles could take the extra curse, since attacking with advantage can possibly mitigate the curse effects to some degree (especially early in the campaign before rolling modifiers come into play).

Or players that tend to make numerous small attacks vs. single large attacks. (drawing a Null on one attack 2 when you're targetting 2 or 3 different enemies that turn is less painful than drawing a Null when you've set up an 8 point single target attack)

but if the group can't agree on such logic and no one volunteers, sometimes random is the best way to go.

Give them to the AOE people. It's a bigger deal for a single target doing 9 damage to draw a curse, compared to a 3 damage to 3 target AOE guy.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Guillaume Courtemanche
Canada
Bois-des-filion
Quebec
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Good point

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dwight Sullivan
United States
Chicago
Illinois
flag msg tools
designer
Shall we play a game?
badge
Shall we play a game?
mbmbmbmbmb
Wow I am glad I read this. I was just setting up our next senario, this one, and wondered about the lack of cards. The natural thing to do was to grab the monster curse cards.

I, the Scoundrel, will claim to need less curses.

Thanks to the OP for helping doing what I should have.

It is a bit disappointing that this is not clear in the senario book.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Harry Jacobs
Canada
Yellowknife
Northwest Territories
flag msg tools
mbmb
Our group wondered about this too, it seems that they should have thought of this before hand and either clarified or added two freaking cards.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joshua Hurst
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
yenkin2001 wrote:
Our group wondered about this too, it seems that they should have thought of this before hand and either clarified or added two freaking cards.

It's covered on page 23 of the rulebook. "A maximum of only 10 curse cards can be placed into any one deck." It could use some word smithing, but the concept of scarcity is present.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marc M
Canada
Otterburn Park
Quebec
flag msg tools
Why not just distribute enough curses for an even number per player?

So in the case of 4 players, you all get 2 curses instead of some getting 3.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marc M
Canada
Otterburn Park
Quebec
flag msg tools
Stalvin wrote:
yenkin2001 wrote:

It's covered on page 23 of the rulebook. "A maximum of only 10 curse cards can be placed into any one deck." It could use some word smithing, but the concept of scarcity is present.

Frankly, the math should have been done to account for max number of curses. If the max per player deck is 3, and you have a max of 4 players, you need to include 12 curse cards, not 10.

I doubt the printing of 2 cards (which aren't unique) in a game with something like 2000 cards would have had any major impact on anything.

Just seems like poor planning or a value change for balance without considering total printed cards.

Edit - It seems the math was that there would only ever be a max of 10 curses to any players deck (yes one player could have 10).

I still say the way to go when you don't have enough is to distribute curses evenly.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
michael ray
msg tools
mbmbmbmb
alcovitch wrote:
Stalvin wrote:
yenkin2001 wrote:

Frankly, the math should have been done to account for max number of curses. If the max per player deck is 3, and you have a max of 4 players, you need to include 12 curse cards, not 10.

I doubt the printing of 2 cards (which aren't unique) in a game with something like 2000 cards would have had any major impact on anything.

Just seems like poor planning or a value change for balance without considering total printed cards.

Edit - It seems the math was that there would only ever be a max of 10 curses to any players deck (yes one player could have 10).

I still say the way to go when you don't have enough is to distribute curses evenly.

That's a lot of caring about an issue that only affects 4 player games, and only if someone doesn't have the 'ignore negative scenario' perk yet. So, potentially just this 1 mission.

And, if they printed enough for the max, that would be 40 curse cards, 10 per player.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.