Subject: Fire/Water - must expel if can't absorb? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
RavenMad
Australia
South Australia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
As per the subject line, if I place my last stone on Fire or Water and the corresponding element is full on my tracks (meaning I can't absorb that element), must I use the expel action even if the ranged attack will miss completely? Presuming the answer is "yes", I lose all my Fire stones if it's a Fire attack regardless of whether I hit or not?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Salvador Bernadó
Spain
Gavà
Barcelona
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
According to the rules, you can absorb even if your meter is full.

Quote:
Absorbing an element causes the player to take a fire or water stone from the center of the Ba Gua corresponding to the action taken. The player then adds it to their dragon's respective meter. If that meter is already full, no stone is taken.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
RavenMad
Australia
South Australia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Ah, missed that! The rules are so clear I should have known that it would be in there somewhere. Thanks

<edit> Just thinking about this some more; it would be an interesting tactical variant if you couldn't absorb fire/water if you already had 4 stones of that element. I could see opportunities to try to manipulate the ba gua in such a way that your opponent's only legal move is to land on Fire. If their fire 'meter' is full and their only option is to expel, they'd have to 'waste' their fire stones.

We initially played it this way and it certainly made things trickier... ...not sure if better though

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pedro Laporte Trombini (Pedro Latro)
Brazil
Curitiba
PR
flag msg tools
designer
www.octo.studio
badge
We are the Tao.
mbmbmbmbmb
A quick designer insight

Sure, we thought about making it this way to make it trickier!

There is a very important factor to consider when making games, however, that I like to call the "checkpoints", which are the things throughout the game that are irreversible steps towards the game end. Games that lack enough of these may suffer from painfully long games - just think of some games that were a lot longer than they should and try to find their checkpoints, if there are any.

Tao Long has one major checkpoint, which is the loss of a segment. Only that, however, could still lead to some very long games with very defensive players. The acquisition of fire stones, then, work as a secondary checkpoint for the game - the more players run around without attacking each other during the beginning of the game, the stronger a single strike with fire from either dragon becomes
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Danner

Oregon
msg tools
I'm really confused. The answer above is that "According to the rules, you can absorb even if your meter is full." And yet, the last line from the rulebook that's cited states: "If that meter is already full, no stone is taken." Am I missing something here?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brad103
United States
Skaneateles
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Daniel Mills wrote:
I'm really confused. The answer above is that "According to the rules, you can absorb even if your meter is full." And yet, the last line from the rulebook that's cited states: "If that meter is already full, no stone is taken." Am I missing something here?

A full meter doesn't prevent you from absorbing more water/fire, you just won't gain any from it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.