Popular Tags: [View All]
P A
United States
North Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Fabled Fruit
This really bears no resemblance to any other game I have played thus far. A very nice card based worker placement game, specifically designed for kids.
Artwork 4/5
Very cool drawings and design, quite appropriate for the under 10 crowd.
Components 4/5
Nice cards and tokens. Seem well made and no sleeves needed.
Randomness 3/5
If candy land is a zero and 1830 is 5/5, then this should be midway. Just enough randomness to vary the cards and mechanics from game to game.
Strategy 3/5
Varies depending on the cards out, and can be absent in some games and present in others. Perfect for the youngin's.
Tactics 2/5
Depends on the cards out, but turn position and combo's, as well as the cards in your hand can all be used to your advantage if needed.
Brainburn 0/5
Very easy on the old bean. No crunchiness.
Rules 4/5
Very well written, mostly very clear, and fairly minimal.
Theme 5/5
Very original, and the kids love it. Can't think of any other games about making juices.
Interaction: 4/5
Quite a lot, and can vary from game to game.
Gatewayability 5/5
My 6 and 9 year old love it and can play. I can foresee the next step being another fabled game, or perhaps a higher level worker placement (I'm thinking Le Havre).
Spouseliness 5/5
The misses likes to play with us. Nuff said.
Analysisparalysis proness 4/5
AP can be an issue, depending on the cards and combo's present.
Confrontation 4/5
There can be quite a lot depending on the cards that are out.
Fun factor 5/5
We really enjoy it and it ends before the kids get bored. Can't beat that.
Replayablity 4/5
We have played 20 or so games and the kids still want to play. I can see it getting stale after 5 or so cycles through the deck, but I imagine the limes expansion will rectify that.
Soloability? 0/5
Poor. This game relies on the interaction between 3-5 players, so this is not really ok for solo play.
Overall, I am glad I bought it, as we have enjoyed it and now have a slightly more complicated game that the kids like (and my wife and I enjoy playing), other than candy land and mousetrap.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alex Churchill
United Kingdom
Cambridge
Cambs
flag msg tools
designer
"If we knew what we were building, it wouldn't be called research!"
badge
Sufficiently advanced mathematics is indistinguishable from magic
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for the fun review! I particularly like
Quote:
it ends before the kids get bored. Can't beat that.
We have played 20 or so games and the kids still want to play.
That sounds very handy!

Are you serious about Le Havre as the next worker placement game for kids, though? I genuinely can't tell either way if that's a throwaway obvious-joke or a serious suggestion.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt E
United States
Minnesota
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I would not call Fabled Fruit a "worker placement" game. I see how it's superficially similar to other worker placement games, since you place a pawn on an action in order to use it, but I think somebody who came into this expecting a worker placement game would be surprised/disappointed.

The description of worker placement games on BGG presupposes rounds of play, in which players take turns claiming the actions on the board with their workers, and then at the end of the round they all get cleared off and the next round starts (often with a different first player, someone who claimed the "be first player next round" action on the board). In Fabled Fruit you have one pawn that you move from card to card. You go clockwise around the table taking turns, but there are no "rounds" of play. It's continuous. There is a penalty for using an Action that has another player's pawn (or multiple other players' pawns) on them: you must give them a card from your hand. But I think you are almost never trying to intentionally block players in this game. It's just a mechanic to encourage players to use many different actions.

I generally strongly dislike worker placement games, but I enjoy Fabled Fruit. I'm sure opinions vary, but to me Fabled Fruit doesn't feel like a worker placement game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Russ Williams
Poland
Wrocław
Dolny Śląsk
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmb
LastFootnote wrote:
I'm sure opinions vary, but to me Fabled Fruit doesn't feel like a worker placement game.

FWIW I agree.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.