Recommend
2 
 Thumb up
 Hide
8 Posts

Mage Knight Board Game» Forums » General

Subject: Playing Using Vassal rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Game Geek
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
I'm confused as to what exactly is Vassal.

Do you have to own the board game in order to use it, or does it replace the board game and allow you to play Mage Knight on the pc?

If so, is it sanctioned by the creators of the board game?

 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason
Canada
Campbell River
British Columbia
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Vassal is a framework for creating a virtual edition of a tabletop game. Certain things can be automated, like refreshing a game state, shuffling decks, drawing randomly from decks, etc. In the case of Mage Knight, the base game is fully implemented. You can play the game on your computer. In some cases, card text is missing so as to encourage users to own the game, such as Arkham Horror.

Usually there is some indication on a game's page at vassal.org regarding licensing.
4 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Björn
Germany
Frankfurt am Main
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Pit of Misery wrote:
I'm confused as to what exactly is Vassal.

Do you have to own the board game in order to use it, or does it replace the board game and allow you to play Mage Knight on the pc?

If so, is it sanctioned by the creators of the board game?


If you have to own the game comes down to licensing... I'm not sure if that is definitely ruled and if, in which regions/countries.
The Vassal solution has been out for years now and there seem to have been no complaints.

I own the physical game myself but also play it on Tabletop Simulator. I very much prefer that over Vassal because it just simulates the table and you can do just about anything with the game pieces in it :-)
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Craig Truesdell
United States
Uniontown
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
The VASSAL for Mage Knight is very well done and I have used it for PBEM games. It has a lot of automation which is really nice for managing the decks and encounters. Sets the standard for automation in my eyes.

In PBEM, you exchange small files and it plays like a frame by frame recorder so you can see what your opponent did during his turn.

Many games that have cards do not show the card text so you need the physical cards to play the game or at least someone does.

Tabletop is very cool especially for solo and real time play.
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Poskin
United States
Sauk Village
Illinois
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
I am interested but where is it. anyone have a link
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan Arnold
United States
Medford
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
jpozsr wrote:
I am interested but where is it. anyone have a link


http://bfy.tw/G8nI
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Antonio Caciolli
Italy
Padua
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
ctcharger wrote:
The VASSAL for Mage Knight is very well done and I have used it for PBEM games. It has a lot of automation which is really nice for managing the decks and encounters. Sets the standard for automation in my eyes.

In PBEM, you exchange small files and it plays like a frame by frame recorder so you can see what your opponent did during his turn.

Many games that have cards do not show the card text so you need the physical cards to play the game or at least someone does.

Tabletop is very cool especially for solo and real time play.


Does the Vassal module work fine for solo play? Some years ago I tried but I did work well and I gave up. Is there a good tutorial to understand how to use the automated stuff?
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben Kyo
Japan
Osaka
flag msg tools
Forward 1, Forward 2, Forward 3... siege attack 5?
badge
Why for this life there's no man smart enough, life's too short for learning every trick and bluff.
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
It works fine for me, but then I know how it works.

There is a simple help text file in the module, and lots of players (hundreds that I know of, maybe more) have used it without significant problems.

No one has made a tutorial that I know of.
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.