Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Harry Jacobs
Canada
Yellowknife
Northwest Territories
flag msg tools
mbmb
Tonight was a bit warmer north of 60 Degrees, but there has been a fair amount of snow. Weather hanging in there at -12C, so fairly comfortable outside when typically it is -30 to -40C. So it was not an issue to get into the car with the new Civilization under wing for a play through with our bi-weekly game night here in Yellowknife.

I was hoping for a solo playthrough to learn the rules, but did not really get an chance, but did read the rules and watched the video's and then proceeded tonight with a 4 player game. While the game says 1 - 2 hours, because no one had played the game before we fumbled are way through the game and finally at 3:45 hour mark we declared a winner. As one of the players finally got a token on each of the three different goal cards.

We played pretty casually and really did not attack each other that much, which I suspect leaded to a slightly longer game than it could have. Also I could have shuffled the wonders card better as the colour we needed was not coming up at all in any of the three era's (Ancient, Mideval and Modern). However we marched on to the end of the game, and I was not disappointed by the game play at all.

First the components are the basic FFG you would expect, cardboard counters, two different sizes of cards and a moduler map that will allow multiple configuratioins of the game once you get past the beginners suggested map. I think the map presented offered some challenges in the configurations, one side seem to be Barbarian heavy. One side had two civilizations close to each other , and another off in a nice corner that is ripe for expansion.

The focus card, playing board could have laid flatter, maybe they should have considered, a plastic component rather than a cardboard component, but I am sure someone with a 3D printer might sovle that problem at some point, it was not a big issue really but just worth mentioning.

It is the mechanic of how the cards are played that make this game. Each card is in a 1 - 5 slot, which adds to the value of what you can do, so the higher number of where the card is the better off you are. Of course there may be a compelling reason to play a card before it hits the #5 slot but for the most part you will strive to optimize your move as after a card is used it is always moved to the #1 Slot.

There are five different cards, that can be upgraded trough your sience. However you have to be careful on what you upgrade as you are limited to basically 2 upgrades at each of the 2 - 4 levels. There are wonders that can help with that, but for the most part what you invest in will drive your strategy, which of course has to match the goal cards that are randomly selected.

Basically this game is a area control placement game. You put your city down, grow your control, gain resources to build better wonders. All pretty streamlined from what I understand of the older Civ board games out there. There is an automation for the barbarians who are more a nusence rather that a detriment. In fact in most cases, they are a fast way to get Trade goods, as picking them off is not that difficult. Like the computer game if you gain control of their spawn spot, you will stop them from spawning back into the game.

All and all, I liked the game, I think now that we have a game under our belt it will play faster next time. It is not particularlly deep and combat is abstract where you basically fight for control, depending on placements of city it will be difficult even with PVP to get rid of your oppenents. There are some diplomacy cards that you can use when you bring your caravan to your neighbours or the city-states. The main reason to do this is to up your trade goods, so that you can build wonders and expand out.

I will be playing this game again.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Williams
United Kingdom
Rossendale
Lancs
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
There should be four wonders decks, one of each colour.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tor Iver Wilhelmsen
Norway
Oslo
Unspecified
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Also, you are not limited when it comes to upgrading to level 4 techs, since you "reset" to 15 and continue on the dial when you pass 24, allowing more level 4 upgrades.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tristan Hall
England
Manchester
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
Shadows of Kilforth - March 2019 Kickstarter
badge
Shadows of Kilforth - March 2019 Kickstarter
mbmbmbmbmb
yenkin2001 wrote:
All and all, I liked the game, I think now that we have a game under our belt it will play faster next time.

Good to hear, and yes - your next game will fly by. We rattled through a 4 player game in under 2 hours. cool

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Schroeder

Dubuque
Iowa
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
3:45 for 4 players is insanely long. I think your playing the wonder decks incorrectly likely added another 1 to 1.5 hours to the gameplay.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
A P
United States
Redwood City
CA
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Usually in your first game you play for about 2 hours. Someone then realizes that everyone is busy exploring the game and has forgotten about the win conditions. The game usually ends 30 minutes later. When you focus on the win conditions from turn 1, the game plays much faster.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Harry Jacobs
Canada
Yellowknife
Northwest Territories
flag msg tools
mbmb
I will go back and re-read the rules

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
kos blaat
Netherlands
flag msg tools
mbmb
played twice, both times around 3 hours.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Fernando Robert Yu
Philippines
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
2 2p games so far, each at around 50-55 minutes.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.