Recommend
 
 Thumb up
 Hide
8 Posts

Charterstone» Forums » Rules

Subject: Questions after first game. rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Enon Sci
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Mini review: fun game. However, I can't say I'm a fan of the rules structure -- namely, the Legend of Andor-esque "learn the rules as you play the first game" approach. I far prefer the Seafall / Pandemic Legacy approach to giving a firm overview of the overall structure of the base play in print, and adding twists through cards alone.

That said, we survived it and enjoyed the play experience.

Two questions, however:

1) Some of the assistants had VP indicators in the upper portion of their cards. Should those have been factored in at some point (either when attaining the card or .. ?).

If this is something revealed in a later portion of the experience, just say "this gets revealed later."

2) The Charterstone Die: besides determining starting player, did we overlook some use of this die?

Again, if this comes into play more later, just say "this gets revealed later."

Extra credit:

3) When assistance say "when you take action X you can add a reputation," are those actions mandatory if you have the influence? I don't have the cards handy, and am unsure whether "may" is used on the cards.

I ended up running out of influence first in our four player game, and did so in large part due to the effect of assistant powers and timing on the progress track. It left me without the means of fulfilling objectives I otherwise would have shot for.

p.s.

4) The objective and left over (2) advancement cards: we just tossed those in the scriptorium. Was that correct? When setting up for game two, will we just have those 2 unused advancement cards on the board?

 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Benj Davis
Australia
Summer Hill
NSW
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Anarchosyn wrote:
Mini review: fun game. However, I can't say I'm a fan of the rules structure -- namely, the Legend of Andor-esque "learn the rules as you play the first game" approach. I far prefer the Seafall / Pandemic Legacy approach to giving a firm overview of the overall structure of the base play in print, and adding twists through cards alone.

That said, we survived it and enjoyed the play experience.

Two questions, however:

1) Some of the assistants had VP indicators in the upper portion of their cards. Should those have been factored in at some point (either when attaining the card or .. ?).

If this is something revealed in a later portion of the experience, just say "this gets revealed later."


Edit: I was thinking of Personas. The stuff in the upper right corner of an Assistant is what it gives you when you fulfil its conditions.

Quote:
2) The Charterstone Die: besides determining starting player, did we overlook some use of this die?

Again, if this comes into play more later, just say "this gets revealed later."


Not many, but yes, there are some later.

Quote:
Extra credit:

3) When assistance say "when you take action X you can add a reputation," are those actions mandatory if you have the influence? I don't have the cards handy, and am unsure whether "may" is used on the cards.


Adding influence to the Reputation track is always optional.

Quote:
4) The objective and left over (2) advancement cards: we just tossed those in the scriptorium. Was that correct? When setting up for game two, will we just have those 2 unused advancement cards on the board?



You start fresh with three objectives and five advancement cards each game.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Israel Waldrom
New Zealand
Dunedin
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
1) Some of the assistants had VP indicators in the upper portion of their cards. Should those have been factored in at some point (either when attaining the card or .. ?).


This is just a reminder of the assistants effect, which is described in the text at the bottom of the card. All assistants will have an icon on the top right of the card.

Quote:
2) The Charterstone Die: besides determining starting player, did we overlook some use of this die?


During the campaign, most of it's use is for when using automa, apart from some occasional uses otherwise.



1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Israel Waldrom
New Zealand
Dunedin
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Jlerpy wrote:
Anarchosyn wrote:

Quote:
4) The objective and left over (2) advancement cards: we just tossed those in the scriptorium. Was that correct? When setting up for game two, will we just have those 2 unused advancement cards on the board?



You start fresh with three objectives and five advancement cards each game.


Not quite.

At the end of game 1 players get to keep everything they have in front of them, so it is possible that the advancement mat may not have enough cards left to refill for game 2. However more stuff will be unlocked, and when this happens any new cards are shuffled into the deck, and the mat is refilled if necessary. Post game 1, capacity limits how much can be kept, and the deck will have ample cards.

At the start of each new game the advancement deck, and objective mat are dealt out anew. So in this instance the advancement mat will have only 2 cards to start with. The objective mat will have a new mix of 3 cards however.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Clarke
United Kingdom
Caithness
Scotland
flag msg tools
Avatar
Anarchosyn wrote:
If this is something revealed in a later portion of the experience, just say "this gets revealed later."


I'm very pleased that the rules aren't littered with such needless repetition. If we reveal something that hasn't been explained, it'll be explained later. We got this right at the start.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Josh Handrich

Michigan
msg tools
mbmb
So what cards say to add more cards to the advancement deck? We are playing a 6 player game and had only 2 advancement cards left for game 2. Also if advancement cards are traded in do they go immediately up for sale or is there a discard pile for them?
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jamey Stegmaier
United States
St. Louis
Missouri
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Josh: If you ever discard an advancement card (due to capacity limits or paying a cost) it goes to the discard pile in the general supply. Whenever the deck is empty or it's shuffled, include the discard pile in the reshuffle.

It's abnormal for you to be this late in the campaign and not have a huge advancement deck. Are you following capacity rules? At most, each player can only keep 4 advancement cards at the end of the game. You might also make sure you're not putting cards in the Archive when they should just be discarded (the only cards that are put into the Archive on a regular basis are constructed building cards after you unlock the crate on them).

Which types of advancement cards have you unlocked? See rule 7 for the various types. If you've unlocked even just two or three new types, the advancement deck should be 20-30 cards at the beginning of each game even if each player has a 4-card capacity.
4 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Benj Davis
Australia
Summer Hill
NSW
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
mogust wrote:
Jlerpy wrote:
[q="Anarchosyn"]
Quote:
4) The objective and left over (2) advancement cards: we just tossed those in the scriptorium. Was that correct? When setting up for game two, will we just have those 2 unused advancement cards on the board?



You start fresh with three objectives and five advancement cards each game.


Not quite.

At the end of game 1 players get to keep everything they have in front of them, so it is possible that the advancement mat may not have enough cards left to refill for game 2. However more stuff will be unlocked, and when this happens any new cards are shuffled into the deck, and the mat is refilled if necessary. Post game 1, capacity limits how much can be kept, and the deck will have ample cards.

At the start of each new game the advancement deck, and objective mat are dealt out anew. So in this instance the advancement mat will have only 2 cards to start with. The objective mat will have a new mix of 3 cards however.


That's what I meant by "you start fresh with...".
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.