Hide
10 Posts

Legendary: A Marvel Deck Building Game» Forums » General

Subject: Alphabetizing order rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Richie Tran
msg tools
I just wanted to see what other were doing if they are alphabetizing them. Since I ran into some minor OCD-like questions.

* S.H.E.I.L.D. Elite (Civil War), would you put them before Shi'Ar stuff (X-Men).

* Heroes with same names like Wolverine (X-Men, X-Force) and Beast (Illuminati, X-Men), what order would you put them in?

* "The" being in the title of the card ie: The Brood, would you files them under 'T' or 'B'?

* Divided cards, whoever comes first is the name of the card? Follow-up to that is Peter Park/Aunt May (Civil War) and Peter Parker, Homecoming (SM Homecoming). What order would you put those in?

I'm sure there are others, but I just added X-Men and Homecoming to the general population of cards and saw those issues.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
SoljaRTT wrote:
* S.H.I.E.L.D. Elite (Civil War), would you put them before Shi'Ar stuff (X-Men).

No. For alphabetization purposes I choose to ignore punctuation.

SoljaRTT wrote:
* Heroes with same names like Wolverine (X-Men, X-Force) and Beast (Illuminati, X-Men), what order would you put them in?

Order of publication, actually. However, in principle you might argue for the spelled-out version of the team making the difference, though in these two cases it doesn't happen to matter.

SoljaRTT wrote:
* "The" being in the title of the card ie: The Brood, would you files them under 'T' or 'B'?

B.

SoljaRTT wrote:
* Divided cards, whoever comes first is the name of the card? Follow-up to that is Peter Park/Aunt May (Civil War) and Peter Parker, Homecoming (SM Homecoming). What order would you put those in?

Don't bother sorting Hero Decks within themselves. However, the standard for the Complete Card Text thread is to go from left to right, putting the left side first.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jay M
United States
Greenville
South Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I sort my cards first by released set, in chronological order. That takes away about all the duplication.

I prefer to look across the dividers and remember the sets.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rachael
United States
Williamsburg
Virginia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
* I don't put periods in acronyms on my dividers so it's SHIELD vs Shi'ar for me. I ignored the ' and did a before e so Shi'ar then SHIELD.

* Same name heroes are alphabetized by team name (x-force before x-men).

* Never alphabetize by leading articles (the, a, an, etc.).

* Divided cards are by who comes first (e.g. Storm not Black Panther), but that only matters for the sets where both are the named hero on all cards in the set. Aunt May is an add on, not the main named hero, so has no effect on my alphabitizing.

The one I always debate with myself is Dr. Strange and Dr. Punisher: alphabetize at Dr or Doctor?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Oscar Baechler
msg tools
TheUbiquitous wrote:
SoljaRTT wrote:
* S.H.I.E.L.D. Elite (Civil War), would you put them before Shi'Ar stuff (X-Men).

No. For alphabetization purposes I choose to ignore punctuation.

SoljaRTT wrote:

Order of publication, actually. However, in principle you might argue for the spelled-out version of the team making the difference, though in these two cases it doesn't happen to matter.

SoljaRTT wrote:

B.

SoljaRTT wrote:

Don't bother sorting Hero Decks within themselves. However, the standard for the Complete Card Text thread is to go from left to right, putting the left side first.

I independently came to sorting in the exact same manner. We skip the words The/A/An, and all the Doctor/Mister cards are sorted as they're printed; if it's Mister Sinister sort at MI, if it's Dr. Octopus it's sorted at DR.

We use 3 boxes now. The long Villains box hold all our heroes, One of the larger expansion boxes holds all our "default setup" decks (wounds, sidekicks, bystanders, SHIELD decks, Maria Hills), and the original box hold our villain deck stuff (henchmen, masterminds, schemes, villains). The original box also has room for 2 premade hero and villain decks, so we usually prep setup for future games at the end of the night.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Oscar Baechler
msg tools
One more note, these days we sort with dividers at each letter of the alphabet. It's too complex/infuriating to divide between each hero, and dividing by letter lets you usually pick up a deck and sort out one hero at a time nicely. Some of the bigger letters get cut in half, like S. Side note, but about 1/6th of the heroes in the entirety of Legendary start with the letter S.

Enemy stuff gets divided at similar deck-sized checkpoints. I think villain groups are cut up at D, M, and R.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Clevidence
United States
Woodburn
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Bratty wrote:
* The one I always debate with myself is Dr. Strange and Dr. Punisher: alphabetize at Dr or Doctor?

I don't include punctuation or titles; Dr. Strange is in the Ss and Dr. Punisher would be in the Ps if I had him.

On the other hand, I have a needlessly complicated derivative of the library system; it works for me, but I wouldn't recommend it to anyone else. If the card uses the hero's given name, I sort by last name first (i.e., "Rogers, Steve"). I sort letter-by-letter if the card has the Superhero name (Black Panther goes in the Bs) unless the first word simply looks like a descriptor or an otherwise minor differentiator ("Spider-man," is followed immediately by "Spider-man, Ultimate"). Old Man Logan gave me pause--I don't know if that's what he's called or if it's just saying he's old; I'm unfamiliar with that whole plot-line. I ended up filing him under L, but really it doesn't matter since I doubt I'll ever use him.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tyrell Archer
Canada
Guelph
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
This has been on my mind as well, as I wade through my Biography Dividers (expansions up to Secret Wars I available now!)

- Although I use punctuation, I ignore it when sorting, so S.H.I.E.L.D. goes after Shi'Ar.

- Heroes with same name, I've been sorting in "priority" order, so Beast (X-Men) comes before Beast (Illuminati), as I would consider the latter to be a variation on the iconic version (the former).

- Since there have been only a few "The"'s, I've been sorting them as T. I'm not married to that, however.

- Divided cards, I sort with the first name (Peter Parker, Cloak, etc.) I put Peter Parker, Homecoming after Peter Parker.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Melissa V
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
I sort alphabetically within teams, all the Avengers are together, all the X-men etc. I like to play thematically so it works for me. I've recently reorganized my boxes (since I have all the expansions now except for Homecoming), all the set-up cards and masterminds are in the base box (with fancy divider from Broken Token). The villains and henchmen are all in the Dark City box, Avengers and Spider-friends are in the Civil War box, X related heroes are in the X-men box and the "Villains" as heroes and my customs are in one of the Secret Wars boxes. I tried using the Villains box for a while, but it's too flimsy and I actually prefer the board to the mat, I realize I might be in the minority here.

I ignore punctuation for alphabetizing

First name first on divided cards (Black Panther/Storm are with the Avengers because the whole rest of the Civil War set is Avengers)

Ignore "The"

Organize how you think of things first, whatever makes most sense to you. For me it's been easier since I've actually split stuff up more (I had it all in 3 boxes, but have now gone to 5, plus it's allowing room for more expansions without me having to move stuff around again), and I have found it easier to set up and put away dealing with one smaller box at a time. Also, if I want to take it somewhere I can take only 3 boxes, mostly deciding between Avengers or X related heroes.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Josh Worley
United States
Rosemount
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Like the poster above me, I sort Hero names alphabetically within team. If you have several that look the same (like all the variations of Captain America), I go by the main Hero name and skip ancillary stuff like "The."

I don't have teams organized in any particular order. More of whatever groups fit in the particular case's row the best. As such, after each expansion I end up doing a bit of shuffling of the Heroes' teams.

Starter cards/SHIELD Officers/Madame Hydras/etc are all sorted separately from their respective team affiliations. They're with Schemes, Wounds, Bindings, Ambitions, etc.

Villains are sorted alphabetically (Adversaries are mixed in with Villains). Masterminds are sorted alphabetically (with Commanders mixed in). Same with Henchmen/Backup Adversaries.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.