Subject: How would you fix this game? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Michael Hunter
New Zealand
flag msg tools
Migrant Programmer wrote:
ghost whistler wrote:
Playing against Matriarch? Pick someone who can deal with multiple enemies and she's no threat at all.

Sounds like you missed some text on the Matriarch's character card. Destroying the fowl has a price. "Whenever a Fowl Card is destroyed, the Hero with the highest HP must either destroy one of their Equipment or Ongoing cards, or The Matriarch deals them (H-2) psychic damage."

I'd say Matriarch is less "If you have the right setup, it's a walkover" and more "If you have the right setup, she's... possible. Otherwise, you all die."

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bill Stull
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I play mostly through the video game and I’ve defeated her with a variety of teams as I normally play random. She’s a challenge for sure with any team but I would never say you need a specific team to have just a chance.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Hunter
New Zealand
flag msg tools
You must be a better player than me! I've found if you don't have reliable AoE for the birds and way to get past the two Cohorts, you're in pretty serious trouble unless you have a big bag of Heroic Interceptions.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Duy Nguyen
msg tools
If I had to rebuild the game from scratch, I'd remodel the "Increase/Decrease Damage Dealt to/by XXX" mechanic. It has proven to be far to powerful to manipulate that kind of thing, not to mention keeping track of all the +/- in any situation is a logistical nightmare.

A +1 Damage Reduction to all Villain Targets basically make a third of the heroes useless (Chrono Ranger and the like). If you manage combination that allows +2 Damage Reduction to heroes (or even to just one hero), there's basically no challenge left. Stacking +1 ATK on heroes mows down pretty much any villain if you can get multiple (Legacy is still overpowered because he grants a stable +2 atk to all heroes).

My solution would be to change "Decrease Damage" to "Grant x Shield tokens" and "Increase Damage" to "Grant x Attack Tokens". When you attack, you just do "1 damage", then you discard 1 attack tokens to increase that damage. Then you discard any shield tokens to reduce that damage. It makes calculating easy because you just match tokens to cancel them out. Token just expire at the end of the hero's turn so you can't stack.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dániel Lányi
Hungary
Budapest
* -Not Applicable-
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Katai wrote:
If I had to rebuild the game from scratch, I'd remodel the "Increase/Decrease Damage Dealt to/by XXX" mechanic. It has proven to be far to powerful to manipulate that kind of thing, not to mention keeping track of all the +/- in any situation is a logistical nightmare.

While I basically agree with you, I think that's the fun of it. Impossible matches where you sometimes end up winning and way too easy blowouts with awesome OP combos are all part of the game for me. The logistical nightmare is also why the game is fun for some people I think. It gives you complexity, options, combos etc etc.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bill Stull
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Katai wrote:

My solution would be to change "Decrease Damage" to "Grant x Shield tokens" and "Increase Damage" to "Grant x Attack Tokens". When you attack, you just do "1 damage", then you discard 1 attack tokens to increase that damage. Then you discard any shield tokens to reduce that damage. It makes calculating easy because you just match tokens to cancel them out. Token just expire at the end of the hero's turn so you can't stack.

This wouldn’t simplify or resolve the issue. This method would favor heroes who hit multiple times in a turn making heroes who build up to a bigger hit either have their attack ignored in the case of shield token or not being being to use up their attack tokens.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dániel Lányi
Hungary
Budapest
* -Not Applicable-
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Sonvar wrote:
Katai wrote:

This wouldn’t simplify or resolve the issue. This method would favor heroes who hit multiple times in a turn making heroes who build up to a bigger hit either have their attack ignored in the case of shield token or not being being to use up their attack tokens.

Actually another thing that's great about the game is that you don't have to change the mechanisms, you can just easily create new heroes with these token mechanisms and there are already similar effect (increase the next damage dealt, etc)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Prev «  1 , 2  | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.