Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Draxon Bailo
Australia
Uranquinty
NSW
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

Playing Conflict of Heroes: Guadalcanal – The Pacific 1942 today at a function with people I don't usually play with, and we came across an 'issue' about the Hex Types. (awesome game, so looking forward to the solo and firefight xpacks .. if they ever come)

The "discussion" (a.k.a me being grumbled at, lol) was about the hex V1-18 (on the big overlay tile with the huts)

I was saying (and played it this way before) that this hex is not a Hut (+1DM/+1APmove) because the Dot in the middle of the hex did not touch an image of a hut, even though there is a Hut on the edge of the hex (that laps into an adjacent hex)

My opponent said (a.k.a demanded it to be so) the dot does not have to touch a hut for it to be a Hut tile, just a hut just has to be in that hex.
I read and re-read the rules on this, and I tried to point out that what I was saying was correct given the rules, but my opponent disagreed, so I let it go just to keep the game moving, and started doubting myself (wasn't helped by my opponent saying 'I got that rule wrong, probably got others)

No what I am asking here is Was I right? the 'dot' in the middle of the hex needs to touch an image for that hex to be that terrain type? or am I losing my mind and unable to understand the rules properly.

The rule text
"4.0 Terrain The battle is played on a map consisting of hexes representing 4050 meters of ground. On these hexes you will see various types of terrain. Each hex has a dot in the middle. Whatever terrain type surrounds the dot dictates the entire hex’s terrain type.
Ex: If a center dot touches any part of a Hut, the entire hex is considered developed and thus blocks LOS - even if portions of the developed hex are open and LOS could be drawn through it.
"

and

Hut: Simple wood and reed buildings that provide light cover.
Note: A hut covering the center dot of a hex means that the hex is developed and does not represent just one individual hut.
Ex hexes: 13-Q04, V1-21, H4-03

I think the confusing is coming from the words in the rules "Whatever terrain type surrounds the dot dictates the entire hex’s terrain type"

My opponents augment was if there is a hut or parts of huts in that hex then the 'dot' is Surrounded.

I retorted saying for the dot to be Surrounded it needs the image to be placed under the dot so the whole part of a actual hut image Surrounds the whole dot, as in if you can place a start point in the centre of the 'dot' and no matter which way you draw a line out of that centre of the dot you will first touch an image of a Hut.

Long winded post I know, sorry, but just looking for some reassurances (I am forever doubting myself) if I am correct (or to be corrected if I am not)

thanks
arrrh
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris in Kansai
Japan
Otsu
Shiga
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
You were correct - there are several threads in the CoH forums on this very issue.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Carey
United States
Woodinville
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Don't doubt yourself, you are correct.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Draxon Bailo
Australia
Uranquinty
NSW
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thans all. I really appreciate tbe replies.

I did look through Guadalcanal forums first, i was in a bit of a tiffy so i must of missed the posts about the huts. I didn't even think to look in the other CoH forums.. (sorry Chrysm)

Thanks again.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris in Kansai
Japan
Otsu
Shiga
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Draxonfly wrote:
(sorry Chrysm)

No criticism intended - it's useful to know where those threads are if someone tries to bend the rules!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.