Hide
11 Posts

Specter Ops: Broken Covenant» Forums » General

Subject: Why no doublesided board or new Roles for the old game? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Tamidor Winddancer
msg tools
I love specter ops and I am really looking Forward to Broken Covenant. But it is quite expansive for practically almost the same game, with some difference. I would like to see a cheaper Expansion with new Agents and Hunters and devices for the old game or to get more bang for the buck a double sided board so you have two new ares to play in.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Hamilton
United States
Asheboro
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Ya I thought this was an expansion. I won't be getting this.
Unsubscribed

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Cairns
Scotland
Glasgow
Scotland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
You can use these new Agents and Hunters in the original game too, it’s a stand alone expansion meaning you don’t need one to play the other and you can combine them if you have both.

It’s the best of both worlds as far as I’m concerned, a lot of expansions are essentially updated versions of the original so not sure why this one doing the same is a turn off for some but whatever.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brett Miller
United States
Logan
UT
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Paprike wrote:
WeAreGeek wrote:
You can use these new Agents and Hunters in the original game too, it’s a stand alone expansion meaning you don’t need one to play the other and you can combine them if you have both.

It’s the best of both worlds as far as I’m concerned, a lot of expansions are essentially updated versions of the original so not sure why this one doing the same is a turn off for some but whatever.
So similar to Dead of Winter: The Long Night?

I would say that it is exactly the same model as DOW: TLN.

I think the standalone expansion idea is an effort to reduce a problem with expansions from a small publisher standpoint: traditional expansions that require the player to have the base game always ends up being a smaller number than the amount of the base game sold. Whereas these "stand-alone" expansions can actually outsell their predecessor as they are marketable to a larger audience rather than a smaller one.

Having said that - speaking for myself (someone who owns the original DOW and the original Spector Ops) - I would prefer a traditional expansion for both! But I get why they are doing this (I heard Isaac Vega talk about it in a podcast for TLN, I forget which one, SUSD?)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brandon M
United States
Columbus
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
“Games give you a chance to excel, and if you're playing in good company you don't even mind if you lose because you had the enjoyment of the company during the course of the game.” ― Gary Gygax
mbmbmbmbmb
Paprike wrote:
galaxybear wrote:

Having said that - speaking for myself (someone who owns the original DOW and the original Spector Ops) - I would prefer a traditional expansion for both! But I get why they are doing this (I heard Isaac Vega talk about it in a podcast for TLN, I forget which one, SUSD?)

I have both too and feel the same way. What if it were possible to release it as a mini-expansion and standalone expansion...

I'll keep dreaming.

I don't really understand what the problem is.

Here are the contents of Spectre Ops: Shadow of Babel from the rulebook

Quote:
1 Game Board
1 Rulebook
1 Pad Movement Sheets
4 Agent Figures
4 Hunter Figures
2 6-Sided Dice
4 Secret Role Cards
1 Occupy Vehicle Card

4 Agent Character Cards
- Spider
- Cobra
- Orangutan
- Blue Jay

4 Raxxon Hunter Character Cards
- The Prophet
- The Beast
- The Gun
- The Puppet

4 Unique Agent Equipment Cards
- Spider’s Tangle Line
- Cobra’s Velocity Blade
- Orangutan’s Power Fists
- Blue Jay’s Holo-Decoy

8 Generic Equipment Cards
- 2 Flash Bang
- 2 Adrenal Surge
- 2 Smoke Grenade
- 2 Stealth Field

23 Tokens
- 4 Mission Tokens
- 2 Flash Bang Tokens
- 3 Stun Tokens
- 2 Smoke Grenade Tokens
- 2 Last Seen Tokens
- 1 Vehicle Token
- 1 Exit Point Token
- 8 Character Tokens

Compare to the generic list currently available for broken covenant:

Quote:
1 game board
1 pad of movement sheets
5 hunter figures
4 secret role cards
4 agent character cards
8 hunter character cards
1 sand timer
1 rulebook
4 agent figures
16-sided dice
1 dual-sided vehicle card
29 tokens
18 equipment cards

1) Rulebook - you'd get one with an expansion
2) Gameboard & movement sheet - "alternate map" expansion
3) 4 Agent figures, matching character & (I assume) equipment cards - "new agents" expansion
4) 5(!) RaXXon hunter figures & matching cards - "new hunter" expansion
5) 16 sided die and sand timer - New stuff it would seem
6) 18 generic equipment cards and 29 tokens - no clue on if anything will be repeats, but this picture confirms some new generic equipment at least (Portable Barrier & Med Kit)

I mean, repeats seem to be minimal:
- 4 secret role cards
- 4 Mission Tokens (probably)
- 2 Last Seen Tokens (probably)
- 1 Vehicle Token (probably)
- 1 Exit Point Token (probably)

And the potential of equipment overlap. I have my doubts that there will be any, but I also can't say there won't be.

Would people rather buy all of this new content piecemeal and pay probably $10-30 more after it is said and done to get each in their own box, with a little rules insert, etc?

Or would your rather duplicate a handful of cards and tokens and get everything all at once, with a comprehensive rulebook and a monderate to good savings in the total MSRP cost?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris O
msg tools
Pixeling ain't easy, but someone's gotta do it...
badge
LION OF JUDAH
mbmbmbmbmb
Some of the contents can be deduced via the pictures and info given:

Quote:
29 Tokens:

- 5 Hunter Tokens: Heat, Judge, Tracker, Watcher (One is Rover, the Tracker's pet)
- 4 Agent Tokens: Fox, Mantis, Panther, Raven
- 4 Mission Tokens
- 1 Vehicle Token: Interceptor
- 1 Last Seen Token
- 1 Visible Agent Token
- 1 Exit Point Token
- 1 Flash Bang Token
- 1 Smoke Grenade Token
- 1 New Token (Shown by pink field, might be a Supply Cache card effect)
- 1 Portable Barrier Token
- 5 Fatigue Tokens
- 3 Stun Tokens

- The 8 Hunter cards are because the 4 original Hunters get updated cards with new stuff on their backsides for when they become traitors in the 5 player game.

- There is no "16 sided dice" It says "1 6-Sided dice" meaning ONE dice with 6 sides, as opposed to the 2 of them in the base game (for the Gun). The sand timer is to encourage a 2 minute time limit on each Hunter's turn to not drag the game down.

- As for the 17 equipment cards (Rules pdf has 17, not 18), I can somewhat speculate:

Quote:
17 Equipment Cards:

- Fox's Remote Trigger
- Mantis' Unique Equip
- Panther's Unique Equip
- Raven's Mind Tap
- 2 Stealth Field
- 2 Adrenal Surge
- 1 Flash Bang
- 1 Smoke Grenade
- 1 EMP Grenade
- 1 Proximity Mine
- X Portable Barrier (Supply Cache)
- X Med Kit (Supply Cache)
- X New Item (Denoted by the pink/purple portal-looking token) (Supply Cache)

- There is quite a bit of speculation with the equip. The agent-specific ones are a given, but the rest not so much. Due to the fact that only 1 of each Flash Bang and Smoke Grenade tokens are given, unlike 2 from the base game, it is safe to assume only one copy of each card exists. Also due to the fact that Proximity Mine is in the game, which was a promo item along with EMP Grenade, it may be that EMP Grenade is also included, and these 2 items make up for the missing 2nd Flash Bang and Smoke Grenades. If all that is true, the count becomes 12, with 5 items remaining for the Supply Cache. However there are 6 Supply Cache spots on the map, so it doesn't seem likely that there would be less cards than spots, meaning it is possible EMP Grenade is not in the game to account for a 6th Supply item. It is also not known if there are 6 unique Supply Cache items or 3 of them with 2 copies for each. I am also assuming that one of the Supply Cache items is the purple portal-looking token. I do this because it seems to have a female figure on it, looking more like Fox with her eye-piece than Panther, although is unlikely but possible it represents Panther's unique equip.

Hope this demystifies some things!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brandon M
United States
Columbus
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
“Games give you a chance to excel, and if you're playing in good company you don't even mind if you lose because you had the enjoyment of the company during the course of the game.” ― Gary Gygax
mbmbmbmbmb
Messianic wrote:
- There is no "16 sided dice" It says "1 6-Sided dice" meaning ONE dice with 6 sides, as opposed to the 2 of them in the base game (for the Gun). The sand timer is to encourage a 2 minute time limit on each Hunter's turn to not drag the game down.

*thwap*

Duh, I should have picked up on that.

Thanks for the break down. Didn't realize there was so much more info out there.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Germany
flag msg tools
Messianic wrote:
The 8 Hunter cards are because the 4 original Hunters get updated cards with new stuff on their backsides for when they become traitors in the 5 player game.

Maybe there is a way to get those cards separately. I won`t buy a full price game just for the better traitor aspect. whistle

I just asked Plaid Hat Games and will write the response here.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris O
msg tools
Pixeling ain't easy, but someone's gotta do it...
badge
LION OF JUDAH
mbmbmbmbmb
Don't hold your breath in expecting PHG to actually respond to you.

They usually don't communicate at all, and right now all they care about is milking their kiddie game Stuffed Fables for all it's worth. Specter Ops, Crystal Clans, and whatever else have probably been done and ready for MONTHS but won't see the light of day because of their asinine business model.

If Broken Covenant got announced on 9/28/17 and it's been almost 5 months, you can bet we won't hear anything until they actually release it, probably not until April or May.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.