Duncan McKay
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Big fan of Secret Hitler, but having now played it a bajillion times, I'm still mildly frustrated at games that end on a top-deck, especially the 7/9 player ones where a liberal is shot first. I quite like the variant where an assassinated player is not dead, but still has voting rights, just can't ever hold office - it stops the fascists simply outing themselves to hitler and top decking. How about this one though as an alternative - the secret liberal suicide bomber.

One liberal will have a little bomb card in their envelope. They may play it at any time in the game BEFORE a vote is called (so no playing it right before a policy card is about to be determined). If the bomber correctly names all the fascists in the game, the liberals win. If even a single one is incorrect, the liberals lose.

Of course, if the fascists assassinate the liberal with the bomb, the bomb can't be played. But at least not knowing if the bomb is still in play or not keeps the game interesting.

Brings up some other new dynamics around claiming you have the bomb too.

You could restrict the bomb to only being played before the final fascist policy card, or the very final top-deck, in case you feel the game is spoiled by people playing it too early. I did consider just the liberal with the bomb dying for an incorrect call, but if that player was already in conflict with a fascist, or a chain of them, that would make the bomb an OP play for the liberals by outing fascists 100%.

Anyway, thoughts welcome - we haven't actually tested this one yet (the group are such sticklers for official rules), but I've been kicking it around my brain for a while. Thanks!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Vollick
Canada
St. Thomas
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
How often are you finding in 7/9 player games that you end up shooting a liberal?

I think if you were to include a bomb victory condition where the liberals can win by naming all the fascists the whole assassination of hitler vc for the liberals should be removed as well.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Susan
United States
Mesa
Arizona
flag msg tools
www.Meetup.com/ArizonaGames
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
We did this once (top decked as fascists). The next policy was a blue one and we handed the win to the liberals.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.