Popular Tags: [View All]
Andreas
Germany
flag msg tools
badge
Iä! Iä! Cthulhu fhtagn!
mbmbmbmbmb
Hello everybody,

I am looking for a nautical themed game preferable in the age of sail. Right now I am looking at Wooden Ships & Iron Men, Master and Commander, Sails of Glory and also 1750: Britain vs. France since I really love the looks of this one. But I am sure I miss a few titles and I'm thankful for any helpful comments on the titles I listed.

Thanks in advance,
Andreas
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jon Gautier

Rhinebeck
New York
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Close Action: The Age of Fighting Sail Vol. 1

1805: Sea of Glory

Sovereign Of The Seas

Flying Colors (part of a series)

Soon to be published: A Glorious Chance: The Naval Struggle for Lake Ontario in the War of 1812
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andreas
Germany
flag msg tools
badge
Iä! Iä! Cthulhu fhtagn!
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks a lot Jon. I have Sovereign Of The Seas on and off my radar.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Antonie van der Tweel
msg tools
mbmb
You could also take a look at: Ships of the Line Trafalgar 1805
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andreas
Germany
flag msg tools
badge
Iä! Iä! Cthulhu fhtagn!
mbmbmbmbmb
avdtweel wrote:
You could also take a look at: Ships of the Line Trafalgar 1805

I will. Thank you very much.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kent Reuber
United States
San Mateo
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I've been looking at Admiral's Order: Naval Tactics in the Age of Sail – All Hands!. It's produced in Germany and uses wooden pieces for the ships.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
T. Dauphin
Canada
Ontario
flag msg tools

I think WS&IM is a terrific game.
It is quite detailed, if you like that, and consequently slower moving than some more modern versions, but the detail allows you lots of room to apply your strategies. Age of Sail Sails of Glory, by contrast, felt too simple. Easier and faster to play, though, as a result.

edit: Fingers weren't paying attention to the brain: corrected name of game to Sails of Glory.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andreas
Germany
flag msg tools
badge
Iä! Iä! Cthulhu fhtagn!
mbmbmbmbmb
kentreuber wrote:
I've been looking at Admiral's Order: Naval Tactics in the Age of Sail – All Hands!. It's produced in Germany and uses wooden pieces for the ships.

This one looks interesting! Thank you.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andreas
Germany
flag msg tools
badge
Iä! Iä! Cthulhu fhtagn!
mbmbmbmbmb
tanik wrote:

It is quite detailed, if you like that, and consequently slower moving than some more modern versions, but the detail allows you lots of room to apply your strategies. Age of Sail, by contrast, felt too simple. Easier and faster to play, though, as a result.

Your post just made the game go on top of all the others. Thank you.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andy Daglish
United Kingdom
Cheadle
Cheshire
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
tanik wrote:

It is quite detailed, if you like that, and consequently slower moving than some more modern versions, but the detail allows you lots of room to apply your strategies. Age of Sail, by contrast, felt too simple. Easier and faster to play, though, as a result.

WSIM is dated. I'd say lack of detail resulted in a crude game experience, compared to modern designs like Flying Colors. Concepts like same-hex combat didn't exist in 1977, nor many other besides. A weak part of the game was boarding, and of course the errata includes the vital 3:1 rule. Over-active fouling and grappling could turn actions into impromtu land battles, in the manner of ancient & medieval times, and this didn't really happen in Napoleonic fleet actions -- crossing the decks of several first and second-rates at Trafalgar was seen as singularly unusual. The good WSIM scenario was Lissa, as it was the only one to feature multiple small ships on both sides.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J S
United States
Arizona
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
aforandy wrote:
WSIM is dated. I'd say lack of detail resulted in a crude game experience, compared to modern designs like Flying Colors.

This.

As a long time player of WSIM and Flying Colors, once I got my first copy of FC I have never opened the box for WSIM again. I will always be happy with my memories playing that game with friends many many years ago, but no need for that old dog anymore. Go to GMT's website and check out their p500 list... FC deluxe is on p500 right now. Excellent package with a TON of material.

Sails of Glory is fun, but it's much, much harder to get large battles going. I wouldn't classify SoG as a simulation either... it's definitely a game (a fun one at that).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Buetow
United States
McHenry
Illinois
flag msg tools
Combat Commander Archivist
badge
Move! Advance! Fire! Rout! Recover! Artillery Denied! Artillery Request! Command Confusion...say what?!
mbmbmbmbmb
For what it’s worth, 1750: Britain vs. France is a great lighter game but it’s not really nautical themed. There is some use of frigates to hassle the enemy but it’s not naval battles per se at all.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Antonie van der Tweel
msg tools
mbmb
Lissa is a scenario that is prone to boarding battles, as the English has 4 powerful gunnery frigates, but low in crew quantity against the French (and ally) 6 weaker gunned but heavely manned frigates. BTW One of the most common errors made while playing WSIM is using the same crew sections for gunnery and boarding in the same turn. So if say Amphion was grappled in the Lissa scenario by Favorite she could expect 54 boarding factors against het maximum 50. That is a losing proposition as she will lose boarding value more rapidly then the French. Using 1 crewsection to fire cannons reduces her boarding factors by 20 and scores 1 crewsquare casualties=3 boarding factors. In larger scenarios boarding battles are scarce, as it will deplete your ships very rapidly of crew, and makes them vunerable to fresh ships. The best scenarios IMO are the ones from the campaign game (Hughes vs Suffren), with reasonable numbers of ships per side, well managable by one player per side. For the larger scenarios you need more than one player per side.

If OP should go for Flying Colors (second hand, as it is OOP at the moment) , he should make sure he does not have a first edition rulebook. That one is real garbage. My advice is then to download the latest version (very much better) from the GMT website.

Finally, Nelsons patent boarding bridge was not at Trafalgar; it was at Glorious First of June.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Hoyt

Butte
Montana
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
aforandy wrote:

WSIM is dated. I'd say lack of detail resulted in a crude game experience, compared to modern designs like Flying Colors. Concepts like same-hex combat didn't exist in 1977, nor many other besides. A weak part of the game was boarding, and of course the errata includes the vital 3:1 rule. .

What is the 3:1 errata rule?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Thompson
United Kingdom
Southsea
Hampshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
avdtweel wrote:

Finally, Nelsons patent boarding bridge was not at Trafalgar; it was at Glorious First of June.

If memory serves the patent boarding bridge was Battle of Cape St. Vincent.

But yeah my money would be on Flying Colours since it lets you do the large battles in a decent amount of time, even with the oddites that can occur with movement.

Although if you are not in too much of a hurry I'd wait for the Deluxe edition of Flying colours that includes the long out of print ships of the line expansion.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
T. Dauphin
Canada
Ontario
flag msg tools

aforandy wrote:
tanik wrote:

WSIM is dated. I'd say lack of detail resulted in a crude game experience, compared to modern designs like Flying Colors. Concepts like same-hex combat didn't exist in 1977, nor many other besides. A weak part of the game was boarding, and of course the errata includes the vital 3:1 rule. Over-active fouling and grappling could turn actions into impromtu land battles, in the manner of ancient & medieval times, and this didn't really happen in Napoleonic fleet actions -- crossing the decks of several first and second-rates at Trafalgar was seen as singularly unusual. The good WSIM scenario was Lissa, as it was the only one to feature multiple small ships on both sides.

Sounds like I need to check out Flying Colors.
Thanks.
BTW, I see I referred to Age of Sails in my earlier post when I meant Sails of Glory. Sorry. I've edited that post.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Juha Helin
Finland
Espoo
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Signal Close Action for maximum details and Signal Close Action Fast Play for fleet battles. Both are very, very good games which produce quite respectable results on tabletop.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ron A
United States
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
blockhead wrote:
aforandy wrote:

WSIM is dated. I'd say lack of detail resulted in a crude game experience, compared to modern designs like Flying Colors. Concepts like same-hex combat didn't exist in 1977, nor many other besides. A weak part of the game was boarding, and of course the errata includes the vital 3:1 rule. .

What is the 3:1 errata rule?

The original Battleline rules for WSIM had 1 round of boarding action per turn, AH changed it to 3 rounds of combat during boarding actions. As a result, boarding in the AH version is too bloody.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Antonie van der Tweel
msg tools
mbmb
Drfaustus83 wrote:
avdtweel wrote:

If memory serves the patent boarding bridge was Battle of Cape St. Vincent.

Memory serves you right. I should have checked before I wrote. John Jervis became Lord St Vincent due to (mostly) Nelsons action. That should have been a obvious hint !
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andreas
Germany
flag msg tools
badge
Iä! Iä! Cthulhu fhtagn!
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks a lot everybody. I have some reading to do I guess.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Edmund Proctor
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
If you want something compleatly diffrent, check out;

Fantasy Naval Games
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andreas
Germany
flag msg tools
badge
Iä! Iä! Cthulhu fhtagn!
mbmbmbmbmb
Ed123play wrote:
If you want something compleatly diffrent, check out;

Fantasy Naval Games

Oh! I know about this. thumbsup

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Warren Bruhn
United States
Roseburg
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Sails of Glory has some fans in my geographic area. Haven't tried it myself, but have heard a lot of good things.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nigel Twine
United Kingdom
Near Portsmouth
flag msg tools
"You do not stop playing games when you get old; you get old when you stop playing games." - Oliver Wendell Holmes
mb
Warren Bruhn wrote:
Sails of Glory has some fans in my geographic area. Haven't tried it myself, but have heard a lot of good things.

Give it a try, Warren, it`s excellent. It`s not like "Close Action", "WSIM", "Flying Colours" or any of that "line of battle" ilk. The use in "Sails of Glory" of the cards gives it an infinite variety of positioning and manoeuvre where even the best plans can be spoilt by a change in the weather. It`s the only one that makes me think as much about the environment as the opponent. It`s a tricky thing to put your floating gun platform into a position where it can hit without itself being hit.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Rouleau
United States
Henrico
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
Fighting Sail: Sea Combat in the Age of Canvas and Shot 1775-1815 is another game that may be worth investigating. Fairly simple play, fun, and it does not get bogged down on details. Copies are easy to obtain under $20.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.