Recommend

Thumb up
 Hide
6 Posts

Bunny Kingdom» Forums » Strategy

Subject: Are the Luxury Goods Resources the most important cards in the game? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Rogányi Antal
msg tools
Hello!

We have found the Luxury Resources the most important cards in the game. If you obtain a few of them, they will win you the game.

Why? Because you can have 3 resources without them, but with them a LOT, which will give you lots of lots of points.

One of the guys in our gaming group even commented,that whoever possess the most luxury items will always be the winner.

Is tehere any way to counter this strategy? Is this strategy OP?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Denise Lavely
United States
Carmel
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Roganyi9999 wrote:
Hello!

We have found the Luxury Resources the most important cards in the game. If you obtain a few of them, they will win you the game.

Why? Because you can have 3 resources without them, but with them a LOT, which will give you lots of lots of points.

One of the guys in our gaming group even commented,that whoever possess the most luxury items will always be the winner.

Is tehere any way to counter this strategy? Is this strategy OP?

The luxury goods can help, but I haven't seen them be a game winning strategy by themselves in any of the games I've played. Usually the winner is the person who best exploits their game end bonus cards, especially when you have two or more of the potentially high-scoring bonuses that work in sync. One time I got one of the bonuses that give you points for fish in the first turn. I concentrated on getting fish, and also grabbed a few other bonuses that rewarded either fish or water spaces, I forget exactly which. I think I had something like 70 more points than the second place player at the end.

The luxury goods are nice, but since they have terrain requirements, they force you to diversify in ways that might not sync up with your other goals. It's hard to build a single territory that has all your luxury goods in one place, even with sky towers.

Also, remember it's a drafting game - if you see someone starting to build a fief with luxury goods, don't pass them any more territories that connect to that fief, especially not mountains (since many of the luxury goods go on mountains AND mountains are the only places you can play a three tower castle). That should take the edge off that strategy pretty fast.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Douglass
United States
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Basically, the later people start scoring a significant number of points from fiefs, the more important the parchment cards are. In games where no one is able to build high scoring fiefs until later in the game, parchments can dominate. In games where people are able to build powerful fiefs from the very beginning of the game, luxury resources and 2-3 cities are incredibly important.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kerstin
Germany
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
They are for sure popular in our games but I've not really seen them actually decide the game. To make good use of them you also need the regions to put them in and additional regions to put cities in for multipliers, which can be tough when people start denying you what you need and which are a lot of often quiet specific cards you need to draft for it.

In many cases someone with a strategy based heavely on parchments is doing better in our games than someone focusing heavily on the Fiefs, ressources and cities. There are sometimes big scoring Fiefs but we never had anyone run away with the game when having one.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Clayton Weaver

Jefferson City
Missouri
msg tools
The dominant strategies are definitely going to be meta dependent and based on your player count as far as I can tell.

The Luxury Resources have to be near the top in priority though I find in my groups that you are often going to have to be dealing with sub-par real estate and sub-par Parchments to make it work. Funny enough, the sub-par parchments often have synergy with the sub-par real estate (the edges of the board) so it can often work out for that player.

In a three-player game you are going to need overlapping Parchment synergy to win. The scores can get really high just due to the nature of the rules and you'll need your fiefs and your parchments to be scoring well to have a chance at winning.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sean Hagans
United States
Colorado
flag msg tools
mb
So far, I've found it to be situational. I had one game where extra goods allowed me to have a 5 goods, 10 tower fief in round 3. That was 100 points in my favor and handily won me the game. I also got really lucky that I was able to connect it all. Other games the strategy was not going to pan out, so I had to abandon it.

I've come to treat each game differently and attempt to adapt to the game I'm being dealt. If I get a good fief setup early with multiple mountains connecting, I'll go for luxury goods. If I'm getting spread around because none of the available draft cards work together, I start figuring out how I can maximize my points with parchments and work to block others.

So in the right situation, yeah luxury goods are awesome. I theorize that no single strategy will always work for every game though. This is a game about making decisions that will adapt to the current game, not developing a strategy and hoping it pans out with lucky drafting.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.