Aeon's End: War Eternal» Forums » General

Subject: Aeon's End or War Eternal? Planning on buying only 1 of those 2. rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Konrad
United States
Connecticut
flag msg tools
I'm planning on buying either Aeon's End 2nd edition or Aeon's End War Eternal. The game would be mostly played solo (so as 1 character I suppose) and maybe by 2 players if I manage to convince my girlfriend to play with me. It's worth mentioning that if I buy one of those games, I'm not going to buy the other one cause I already have too many games on my list

I'm new to this board game hobby so currently I only have Warhammer Quest The Adventure Card Game and Robinson Crusoe, which are not easy games to play. I don't mind losing much, but I'd like to win from time to time

So to sum it all up:

If I were to buy only one of the Aeon's End games, which would be mostly played solo, and that I don't mind winning only 40% of the time, and that I like the art of War Eternal much better - which one should I get?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
https://boardgamegeek.com/thread/1834615/which-version-or-bu...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt
United States
Noblesville
Indiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
First off, I don't think there is much difference in the art between the two. Second edition was upgraded to look like War Eternal. So that should be similar across the two games.

I would suggest getting the second edition of the base game if you want to win more. That being said, I think I prefer the heroes in War Eternal. But the cards, heroes, and enemies all seem more straightforward in the base game. It might be easier to get your girlfriend in because of that.

That's not to say the base game is easy though. I've played almost 20 games (which I realize is not all that much, but I do win fairly often), and my wife, friend, and I just got curb stomped yesterday playing the base game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Elliot Davis
United States
Tampa
Florida
flag msg tools
Cowabunga!
badge
Art by Kev Brockschmidt
mbmbmbmbmb
Definitely get War Eternal. It is better designed with more interesting abilities.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Konrad
United States
Connecticut
flag msg tools
Ellionious wrote:
Definitely get War Eternal. It is better designed with more interesting abilities.

Welp, I was pretty much sure I would get the base game. And then I read your post. Do you have the base game?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin 'qxc' Riley
msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Kaldish wrote:
Ellionious wrote:

Welp, I was pretty much sure I would get the base game. And then I read your post. Do you have the base game?

The general consensus is that WE is more complicated, interesting and difficult.

Base game AE is an easier starting point both in that it is easier to understand how to use the various cards/abilities and in that it is less difficult.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Konrad
United States
Connecticut
flag msg tools
Alright, I decided to go with War Eternal cause this game has been constantly on my mind. The only thing I was afraid of was the complexity level, but, hell, it'll be just more fun learning this game and I think I'll love being able to choose what to do between multiple actions.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin 'qxc' Riley
msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Kaldish wrote:
Alright, I decided to go with War Eternal cause this game has been constantly on my mind. The only thing I was afraid of was the complexity level, but, hell, it'll be just more fun learning this game and I think I'll love being able to choose what to do between multiple actions.

GLHF!

Let us know how it goes
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Comboteur "Crazed 'Beastface' Survivor" Fou
France
flag msg tools
The Orzhov welcome you. Please leave your belongings with the Obzedat. They are not yours anymore.
badge
Hi, I'm a european crested tit, and a very small punk rocker!
mbmbmbmbmb
I think the correct answer is:

Get everything.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tanausú Alayón
Belgium
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
If you're going to solo the game a lot like you said, I advise starting with two mages. The game can be played and beaten with one mage, but it is significantly more difficult than with two mages. So in the beginning I would advise two mages, which is probably the easiest way too play in terms of mage count.

Then when you have a feeling for the mages, cards, and rhythm of the game you could give it a try with just one mage. It's very fun, and can be done, but it's definitely more challenging than two mages.

I personally also have WE as a starting set and I love it to death.

A few general tips:

Try to have a plan going in, it really helps. Like, oh I'll combine this card with this card and that will work great. It's good to have an idea about how you want to build your engine. Not that there will be one way you have to do it, you'll have many options, but it's a good idea to have a direction to go in.

Buy cards according to what you need. It's not always set in stone. Sometimes buying a spell before money can save your life in the early game.

Ask yourself how much you need a card before you buy it, sure more money is good, but what's your current goal and is this the best way to get there? Maybe it is, but maybe the money you already have in your deck will be enough and you could use some more spells, or charges, or an extra open breach.

Don't forget about breaches and charges. These can have a huge impact on the game.

Leaving spells out can be good, you want to damage the big baddy, but you don't want to fire off all your spells to take him from 60 to 50, to then have an annoying 10 health minion appear and no prepped spells to deal with it.

Deck thinning works (destroying cards), it just does, it always does. Many people new to deck building seem to be sceptical of this notion, but it will increase the efficienty of your deck substantially.

Try to play to the strengths of your characters. If a character is really good at supporting others, let it support others, if it has an amazing ability invest in it, if you need someone to sling all the spells, focus on spells and breaches. I've seen people play maza and not buy a card for someone else for the whole game, essentially making his starting card a basic crystal. I feel like the mages in this box are amazing, so make sure you get everything out of them.

And most of all of course, have fun!! This game is my favorite game in many many years, it's been a long time since I've loved something this much. And WE as a core has incredible value. So much variety, such an exuisite selection of cards. Great nemeses, fun mages. Just a spectacular box built around an incredible game system.

Anyway that's just my two cents. I tried to make the tips as general as possible. Seeing as you're new to the hobby I thought it wouldn't hurt. You'll discover much more by playing of course. I am by no means an expert, just hoping that you'll have as much fun as I do with this game!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Twisk of the Blue Feathers
United States
flag msg tools
My name is Twisker, and I am a baby parrotlet.
badge
For no discernible reason, I like hanging trapeze-like in towel folds.
mbmbmbmbmb
bobbyme wrote:

Deck thinning works (destroying cards), it just does, it always does. Many people new to deck building seem to be sceptical of this notion, but it will increase the efficienty of your deck substantially.

I tried playing the intro game solitaire (4 specified mages) and could not figure out how to get rid of Spark.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tanausú Alayón
Belgium
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
chuft wrote:
bobbyme wrote:

I tried playing the intro game solitaire (4 specified mages) and could not figure out how to get rid of Spark.

If we're talking War Eternal, then for the suggested first game Gex would be your only way to trash sparks. This of course shows the big caveat with this tip, deck thinning will not always be available. If you don't have the right market cards or mages, you won't be able to do it. So it's always advised when possible I would say, but it will not always be possible.

If you can't get rid of sparks, but you have kindle in the supply that can also be nice, especially since you don't shuffle in this game and can keep them together. Combo's well with Desmodia's sigil breaches too!

If neither are possible, it might be good to invest a bit more in breaches earlier on, so that you' sparks don't spend too much time in your hand. Mist's Amethyst from WE is also good for that since it allows you to prep spells to closed breaches.

I do think that 4 player is not easy though, your decks wll develop more slowly, so your decisions really matter and timing is important. So these general tips will only take you so far. But take your time and try different things, since it's definitely doable. Or maybe you have already totally figured it out, but in any case I wish you all the fun with the game that I am having!!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Twisk of the Blue Feathers
United States
flag msg tools
My name is Twisker, and I am a baby parrotlet.
badge
For no discernible reason, I like hanging trapeze-like in towel folds.
mbmbmbmbmb
bobbyme wrote:
chuft wrote:
bobbyme wrote:

If we're talking War Eternal, then for the suggested first game Gex would be your only way to trash sparks.

And they have to be in Gex's discard pile and Gex has to have a full set of charges to do it.

Yeah that didn't seem real practical for thinning four sets of decks.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tanausú Alayón
Belgium
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
chuft wrote:
bobbyme wrote:
chuft wrote:
bobbyme wrote:

If we're talking War Eternal, then for the suggested first game Gex would be your only way to trash sparks.

And they have to be in Gex's discard pile and Gex has to have a full set of charges to do it.

Yeah that didn't seem real practical for thinning four sets of decks.

Well in the starting setup you also have mage's totem for the crystals of other players. And I know that the ability of Gex seems expensive, but the trick with it is that it snowballs. Even if you get good money, which is easy with Gex, it's going to take a bit to get to her ability the first time. But it will be easier the second time, and even easier the third, which will also make her unique card show up more and make you able to use it more.

Most special powers have this, that they seem very expensive, too much so. But most of them are amazing, and can actually be aqcuired more easily every time when your decks get better. Gex is a very good example of this.

Plus you won't have minimal decks for every player, but you'd be surprised how much Gex can accomplish in a single game. Especially if like the starting settup you have someone like Maza to help her out a bit with her economy.

And remember, not every character needs to be good at everything. If you focus on thinning and economy with rex, she's also likely to be able to pay off those pesky powers that you can discard with money. Again, it's not an easy game, especially at four players, so it is tricky to find the right balance. But usually the characters' special powers can be used to great effect.

I mean, take all this as what it is, just my two cents. See how you experience things and what you think is best. It's good to experiment though and try to see different perspectives, you might be surprised by how somethings are more powerful than you think, or vice versa.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.