Gaia Project» Forums » General

Subject: is it as elegant / streamlined as terra mystica rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
georgios
Greece
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
from what i heard terra is a deep game with clean and streamlined mechanics. a lot of game with very clear rules and iconography

1. does the extra complexity of the gaia reduce this elegance?
2. are there many complex icons and stuff to track that terra does not use?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Space Trucker
Germany
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
kukugames wrote:

First I'd say yes, Gaia is definitly broader. More rules, more mechanics, more options, more ways - one could call this less elegant, less streamlined.
Still, as in Terra Mystica, the actions you make sense. Once you've learned them, it's not hard to remember them and play correctly. And more options also mean more room to experiment - Gaia is more sandbox-ish than more streamlined TM.

One point that could be called more in Gaia elegant is the science board: Merging the shipping/digging upgrades and the relativly abstract cults from TM into one central and interesting part of the game is possibly Gaia's biggest achievement.

kukugames wrote:
There are new resources (Knowledge and Quantum Intelligence Cubes instead of priests), new actions, the whole new Gaia planet stuff, obviously 14 new factions with almost completely new abilities,... But it still feels like Terra Mystica.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Erik Burigo
Italy
Belluno
flag msg tools
designer
badge
“Don't try the paranormal until you know what's normal.” - Granny Weatherwax
mbmbmbmbmb
Even with the extra rules, I find Gaia Project more elegant than Terra Mystica.

- There are no exceptions in the rules.
- There isn't the difference between direct and indirect adjacency that many first-time players of TM may struggle to grasp.
- There aren't end of round bonuses that can be scored by some races but not by others (e.g.: single-spade bonus for Giants).
- There is no partial terraforming.
- Buildings cost the same for all races.
- There is no required number of buildings to form a federation: only a required power level.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Max
Germany
flag msg tools
badge
My favorite game is Gaia Project
mbmbmbmbmb
I would like to add that there is no partly terraforming and also no difference between direct and indirect neighbourhood when forming a federation. So I find GP more elegant than TM, but then new things got added like gaiaforming (adding new problems like the costs of colonizing a gaia planet).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Mathias
United States
Hendersonville
Tennessee
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
kukugames wrote:
from what i heard terra is a deep game with clean and streamlined mechanics. a lot of game with very clear rules and iconography

Neither game is "elegant". But both games are incredible, interesting, and smooth playing once you understand them.

1. Gaia Project does have a little more complexity, but it is implemented well, and doesn't feel more complex that Terra Mystica.

2. There are more icons, but they aren't complex or difficult to follow.

Generally, I think Gaia Project is an "improvement" on Terra Mystica, but I don't think it replaces Terra Mystica for me.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
georgios
Greece
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
jmathias wrote:

Generally, I think Gaia Project is an "improvement" on Terra Mystica, but I don't think it replaces Terra Mystica for me.

why is that?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Mathias
United States
Hendersonville
Tennessee
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
kukugames wrote:
jmathias wrote:

why is that?

Because they play out differently, and I as of today prefer the overall gameplay of Terra Mystica. The only bit I like strictly better in Gaia Project is the Technology tracks. I believe they are objectively better than the Cult tracks in Terra Mystica.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.