4 Posts

Nations: The Dice Game» Forums » General

Subject: Any further expansions planned? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
ulrik wemmenhed
Sweden
flag msg tools
(my first attempt at this topic got lost , tying again)

so, as the title says, are there any planned further expansions planned?

because I see great potential for more various dice, and there are still plenty of famous leaders, regions and developments that needs to be represented in the game...

like, all the tiles that give great bonuses, but also comes along with a black die, that is negative in one way or another. (leaders, areas and developments such as Heavy Industry, Stalin, Nuclear Power, Coal Mine etc, that are powerful, but also negative for the environment, culture or general well-being, represented by the black die)

and them orange die, that lets two players trade dice with eachother in a clever and balanced way (like trade routes, Silk Road , Internet, etc). These dice are great for two players that are stuck behind, they can mutually benefit eachother to get points and close the distance to the leader.

or the purple dice, that can either be used now right away, but grants a bigger payout if one holds on to them for future turns. (represented for example by Bank, Wall Street Market, Wine districts of France etc)

and them pink dice, the luxury dice, that are really great, but can only be used once and then have to be re-paid or unlocked again in one way or another. (Represented by "leisure" developments and Wonders like Theatre, Hollywood, Colosseum, Soccer, and famous authors and producers like Shakespeare, Virginia Woolf, Sapfo etc)

and last but not least, the brown dice that are bought using food instead of coins or swords. (powerful and resourceful regions, developments etc that are really useful, but require lots of resources like Hospital, Schools, Heathcare, etc.) these brown dice would make food much more interesting than what they are now.

and finally, of course, Just adding a line or two of text to add flavour to the food and sword requirements. Imagine, instead of just a plain boring "okay, three leafs give two victory points this era. got it", if it also said "The Black Plague" it would give more immersion as to why those leafs are relevant, and something historical to connect to. I think it would add a lot, just that single line of text.

these at least are my ideas. hope to see them in an expansion soon
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rustan Håkansson
Sweden
Norrköping
flag msg tools
designer
bgdev.club is really a site address, no www or .com needed :)
badge
New version of Tribes from Kosmos at Spiel 2018!
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes, I hope there will be more expansions, but I have nothing finished yet that I am happy with.

Thanks! Of these ideas I like negative dice the most. They can be flexible and interesting. You might get them from tiles, or from end of round conditions (opening up for events that are a bit more complex). Depending on your roll you might have a temporary negative, making it worthwhile to reroll, together with normal reroll, to get something else. I think something negative or hindering might be needed.

I am especially focusing on adding new types of interactions and choices, not just more and different.

Thanks for the other ideas as well!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
ulrik wemmenhed
Sweden
flag msg tools
thanks for the reply!

glad you liked the idea of the "black" negative dice!

as a fellow game designer and interested in history, this game really amazes me!

I totally agree with you concerning interaction. Trade, exchange of ideas, goods and culture has always been a strong theme throughout real history, so dice or mechanics that in clever ways open up for interaction between tiles and/or players are very thematic.

(i got some other ideas I think would be great, like a mechanic for exploiting colonies and becoming rich at the expense of others, and the mechanic of certain tiles that become stronger the more of them are around, no matter who controls them)

but I don't want to spam you with all these ideas. send a private messsage, if at any time in any future you would like some brainstorming/volonteer for playtesting)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rustan Håkansson
Sweden
Norrköping
flag msg tools
designer
bgdev.club is really a site address, no www or .com needed :)
badge
New version of Tribes from Kosmos at Spiel 2018!
mbmbmbmbmb
Making discussion and development like this easier is one of the reasons why I built bgdev.club, some of the possible expansions I am working on are there. I'd be happy to continue this discussion there! Others reading this, please join there too if you are interested in participating.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.