Legends of Andor: The Last Hope» Forums » Rules

Subject: Can a hero move after overcoming a skeleton? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Germany
flag msg tools
The English rules reference contains the following:

English Rules wrote:
A hero standing on the same space as an overcome skeleton still cannot choose the “move” action. In order to move out of a space with a skeleton on it, a hero must defeat the skeleton first.

Is this really accurate? This sentence is not in the German rules. It makes overcoming a skeleton a worse outcome than losing the combat.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alexander Steinbach
Netherlands
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The Dutch rules also do not contain that sentence. It is very weird as that would defeat the entire purpose of overcoming skeletons.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lucas Hedgren
United States
Dublin
Ohio
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Oh jeez. Again? Man, if this is true, it is a fundamental error. And Andor has seemingly been plagued by them. I wondered what the heck overcoming was doing if it still didn't allow my character to run away.

I'm going to refer to the German rules now, but can someone familiar with the German rules confirm that oversome skeletons do not block movement. Better yet, someone from Thames and Kosmos, can you confirm the mistranslation?

shake

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Germany
flag msg tools
boomtron wrote:
I'm going to refer to the German rules now, but can someone familiar with the German rules confirm that oversome skeletons do not block movement.

The only reason I asked is that the German rules never explicitly say "heroes on a space with overcome skeletons are free to move again" and so there is a very minor ambiguity with a sentence like "If a skeleton stands in a space with a hero, the hero can't move" where (like English) "stands" mostly literally means "not lying down" but also could just colloquially mean "in the same spot".

Threads on the German forum assume heroes can move away from overcome skeletons, and no one has suggested otherwise in the past year. And as everyone has said, there's no point to overcoming skeletons if this rule exists.

ETA: Micha says that overcome skeletons free heroes.

boomtron wrote:
Better yet, someone from Thames and Kosmos, can you confirm the mistranslation?

T&K never answered my previous mails so I stopped trying. Maybe someone more famous can take a shot.

Given that the rest of the section is translated point-for-point, this addition seems like a bizarre and egregious mistake.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lucas Hedgren
United States
Dublin
Ohio
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
AAAAAARRRRRRRGGGGGHHHHHH!

(Thanks, piman.)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
franakin 74
msg tools
mbmbmb
Oh My God, thanks Piman..

So if the Heroes are free, can the wagon pass through dominated skeleton as well? Like if they weren't there.

BTW, can someone tell me wich monster is to be place on card G Legend 13.
Thanks. guys.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lucas Hedgren
United States
Dublin
Ohio
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Before I saw that piman answered, I posted to the German Andor forums, and got a confirmation there as well.

http://legenden-von-andor.de/forum/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=3829&...

Argh again. It's not a huge deal for me, as I now know the right rules, but anyone who doesn't see this will play a much tougher game (impossible even?), and I feel bad for them.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
stk mx
United States
Elburn
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
After reading this thread, the rules, and the T&K clarification - if a hero happens to overcome a skeleton on the last action of the hero's day and at sunrise the skeleton rises, the hero must overcome or defeat the skeleton as early as possible in the day and preferably before the 4th hour which triggers more skeletons, which can limit spaces to move to. Is this correct?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
franakin 74
msg tools
mbmbmb
If you dont think you can "defeat" on your last hour, there is no need to "dominate" it cause it will raise at sunrise. To take chance to loss any willpower cause they are very usefull.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thomas Wetzel
United States
Providence
Rhode Island
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I have heard from Michael Menzel and he confirmed that overcome skeletons do not stop you from taking the move action (so yes, the English rule in the first printing is wrong).

T&K thanks the Andor fans for finding this error and apologizes for the mistake. There was a miscommunication between the editorial team members when this rule was being checked during the editing of the English game.

It's frustrating when one (major) rules is incorrect because it effects the whole game, but I hope this does not stop people from enjoying the otherwise brilliant game.

-If you weren't intimidated by the Ancient Troll, I hope you can fight past this error.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
franakin 74
msg tools
mbmbmb
So, again, that means also that the wagon can pass trough dominated skeleton without putting them on the golden shield ?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dmitriy Razumov
Russia
Vladimir
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
franakin74 wrote:
So, again, that means also that the wagon can pass trough dominated skeleton without putting them on the golden shield ?
Yes.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
franakin 74
msg tools
mbmbmb
Confirm with M. Menzel : here
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gláucio Reis
Brazil
Rio de Janeiro
RJ
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Related question: The English rules say that you defeat a skeleton (and get a reward) if you do it in one round of battle. Can you keep fighting an overcome skeleton? And if you defeat it, do you get the reward, regardless of the number of battle rounds?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
franakin 74
msg tools
mbmbmb
Like the rule says, you have 1 round to "kill" the skeleton. If he's not "killed", then he's overtome and lay down on the ground, he cannot be attack anymore.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gláucio Reis
Brazil
Rio de Janeiro
RJ
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
I know what the English rules say. Since they are clearly messed up, I want to know what the actual rule is in the German rulebook. Thematically, it seems very strange to me that you cannot finish a beaten enemy because... just because?!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Drake Tungsten
msg tools
mbmbmb
GSReis wrote:
I know what the English rules say. Since they are clearly messed up, I want to know what the actual rule is in the German rulebook. Thematically, it seems very strange to me that you cannot finish a beaten enemy because... just because?!

I've been following the skeleton discussion, and it seems like the Overcome vs. Defeated issue is supposed to simply convey how persistent they are, in that you really have to hit it hard to "kill" it, otherwise you've only fought it off until it comes back (I could be wrong though). Maybe overcoming them sort of de-animates them, but since they're still intact they'll rise up again?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
franakin 74
msg tools
mbmbmb
However, there's a text in the English rules that doesn't belong there
The last point upper right page 7

A Hero standing on a same space as an overcome........ => it's NOT IN THE REAL RULE. Do not apply this one.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.