Recommend
1 
 Thumb up
 Hide
39 Posts
1 , 2  Next »   | 

BoardGameGeek» Forums » Board Game Design » Board Game Design

Subject: Friendlier term for Octilinear Movement rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Kieran Murphy
Ireland
Ashbourne
Co. Meath
flag msg tools
designer
Avatar
mbmbmb
I've hit a wall in relation to accurately and simply describing the movement of the king in chess.

Octilinear is correct but not really a layman's term.

For more background - it's in relation to a card game with a 3x3 grid. You move from one card to the next either horizontally, vertically and diagonally so long as it's within the grid.

I have thought of just saying 'move one in any direction' but is there a better way to describe the kind of movement I'm talking about?
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alain Curato
France
Albi
flag msg tools
designer
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi

The best alternative I see is: "Move to any of the eight directly adjacent (or surrounding) spaces". So worse than yours.
4 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Russ Williams
Poland
Wrocław
Dolny Śląsk
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Is there a reason you (apparently) need a single word?

If so, I'd suggest "8-directional" movement.

But if you can explain it with more than 1 word, that would be much clearer. Neither "8-directional" nor "octilinear" seems good to me since they only talk about directions, not about distance, so a chess queen would also seem to have "octilinear" movement.

So e.g.

Movement to a diagonally or orthogonally adjacent square.

Movement to an adjacent (by side or corner) square.

Or if you need a single word (e.g. because you use it a lot in the text), then you might just say "king-like" movement. (With an initial explanation of what that means.)
11 
 Thumb up
1.00
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
'Bernard Wingrave'
United States
Wyoming
Ohio
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Could you say "can move to any card right next to it"? You might need to clarify that diagonal movement is allowed. This isn't shorter than "octilinear" but it gets the point across regardless of whether people are familiar with Chess.
3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Cooper
United States
Lewisville
Texas
flag msg tools
Ask me how I got this badge early!
badge
Dexterity Games Guy for BGG.Con / GeekCoin # 318030
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
What's wrong with "adjacent in any direction"?
10 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Guest Starring...
Austria
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
"Like a chess king."
9 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam Kazimierczak
United States
Falmouth
Maine
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
“8-directional” or “any touching card (including diagonals)” or simply a symbol with eight directional arrows.

6 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan Keane
United States
Medford
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmb
As others have said, I don't think a single special word is necessary to encompass what is allowed, and it won't avoid having to still specify exactly what you mean by using that special word. I find if a designer uses a strange word to describe an action thinking they're clever or thematic, players quickly replace that word with a more normal word to communicate what they're doing. Just explain what is allowed and players will use the single word "Move" to refer to it.

E.g. Move: move your pawn from its current card to any adjacent card (vertically, horizontally or diagonally).

or

Move: move your pawn only 1 space in any direction (vertically, horizontally or diagonally).

Just like in Chess, each piece has different rules for movement, but you describe each of them as simply "I move my king" or "I move my knight" because we know what the rules are and don't need to be more specific.
5 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kieran Murphy
Ireland
Ashbourne
Co. Meath
flag msg tools
designer
Avatar
mbmbmb
Thanks for all the suggestions everyone.

'You may move orthogonally or diagonally to any adjacent card'

Is that player friendly enough?
10 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bill Cook
United States
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
Big Man Murph wrote:
You move from one card to the next either horizontally, vertically and diagonally so long as it's within the grid.


That seems pretty clear right there. Throw in “one space” and you’re set.
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ji Dan
United States
Dist of Columbia
flag msg tools
publisher
mbmbmb
russ wrote:
I'd suggest "8-directional" movement.

I think Russ has got it right.

But I'd also try to get people used to:

russ wrote:
Movement to a diagonally or orthogonally adjacent square.

because, while everyone knows what "diagonal" means, "orthogonal" is a less known, but equally important term and concept.


PS
I quite like "octilinear"!!! Even going with the layman's term, I might sneak in this term as in:

"8-directional (octilinear) movement"

because, imho, I think it's good for games in general if the general audience knows formal, precise terms. Plus, I think kids would really like that word, even if many adults won't care.



2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Lowen
United States
Fallbrook
California
flag msg tools
designer
DeliveranceTheGame.com
badge
The battle between Heaven & Hell will soon be waged at your table. Deliverance is coming...
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Big Man Murph wrote:
Thanks for all the suggestions everyone.

'You may move orthogonally or diagonally to any adjacent card'

Is that player friendly enough?


Not at all! Dont assume the average person will even know what orthogonal movement is. Why assume they understand a tough word instead of teach them a new word? Octilinear movement is a great term, and you could help someone understand that quick with a definition in your rulebook in that section.

Just thought I’d chime in.

I also love what DukeZhou wrote above. I would suggest the same.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonas Lidström Isegrim
Sweden
flag msg tools
designer
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Had a similar problem: A pawn with orthogonal movement and striking orthogonal. Guess I will change the last (striking). Do you have suggestions?

 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan Keane
United States
Medford
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmb
Quadrante wrote:
Had a similar problem: A pawn with orthogonal movement and striking orthogonal. Guess I will change the last (striking). Do you have suggestions?



It depends what the rules are for "striking"? Do you remove the orthogonal adjacent enemy piece and place your piece where it was? Then capture is a more common term for that.

If you can only move into orthogonal empty spaces, and must first attack in some way an orthogonal adjacent enemy piece before you can move there in the same turn or subsequent turn, then strike or attack could work.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonas Lidström Isegrim
Sweden
flag msg tools
designer
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Ryan Keane wrote:
Quadrante wrote:
Had a similar problem: A pawn with orthogonal movement and striking orthogonal. Guess I will change the last (striking). Do you have suggestions?



It depends what the rules are for "striking"?


In this case, you do not move, you battle with/strike a pawn placed adjacent to your own. In same direction as you would have moved.

"Strike orthogonally"
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Wheelock
Canada
Woodstock
New Brunswick
flag msg tools
badge
David Malki drew this!
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Whatever you choose, support it with a picture to further eliminate ambiguity.
3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan Keane
United States
Medford
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmb
Quadrante wrote:
Ryan Keane wrote:
Quadrante wrote:
Had a similar problem: A pawn with orthogonal movement and striking orthogonal. Guess I will change the last (striking). Do you have suggestions?



It depends what the rules are for "striking"?


In this case, you do not move, you battle with/strike a pawn placed adjacent to your own. In same direction as you would have moved.

"Strike orthogonally"


Then strike is fine, although my preference is attack. More important is to define it.

E.g. Strike: select one of your pawns that is adjacent vertically or horizontally to an enemy pawn. Then .... roll a die etc./whatever you do to attack it.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris in Kansai
Japan
Otsu
Shiga
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
A picture is worth a thousand words

Or if you need words,

Spoiler (click to reveal)
"See picture"
6 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonas Lidström Isegrim
Sweden
flag msg tools
designer
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
I use pictures!

It is in my "Reign of Deer" project. Guess I was on the right path to write striking rules ...
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Greg Silberman
United States
Portola Valley
CA
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe Van Overberghe
United States
South Bend
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Big Man Murph wrote:
Thanks for all the suggestions everyone.

'You may move orthogonally or diagonally to any adjacent card'

Is that player friendly enough?


How is orthogonally any more a layman’s term than octilinear? Write to a 3rd to 5th grade level to be clear. Over 20% of adults will struggle with even that. Try and avoid words over 3 syllables where possible.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Nash
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
By far the most common way I've seen this described in games is just to use 'adjacent' (everyone knows what it means), and clarify that 'diagonal' counts (everyone knows what it means).

You can move to any adjacent (including diagonally) square.
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Charles Ward
Japan
Matsumoto
Nagano
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
E Decker wrote:
"Like a chess king."

I wish I had a gif of a grand chess master dancing: Move like a Chess King!
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt D
United States
Peachtree corners
Georgia
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
joevano wrote:

How is orthogonally any more a layman’s term than octilinear?


Confession time. I have a fairly extensive vocabulary (not saying this to brag, just to ground the story). I never had heard the term 'orthogonal' until I got into board gaming and it was used to explain a rule to me.

I've never heard the term used in any other context, and whenever I have used it because it was the most appropriate word in a given context, no one outside of other board gamers or engineers has ever known what I was talking about (and often not even in that group). I've discontinued using it entirely for that reason, regardless of how appropriate it may be.

As was said above, I would strongly encourage use of the term "adjacent" on whatever card you are printing, and include in the rulebook where presumably you have more space a clarification that "adjacent" includes diagonally attached. So make it simple:

"May move to one adjacent space."

As much as I like to put all relevant info on a card and not rely upon a rulebook for keywords, I think in many cases that phrase will be interpreted correctly by your players, and only needs a brief advisement once if they don't assume diagonal is included.
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrés Santiago Pérez-Bergquist
United States
Mountain View
California
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Thosw wrote:
What's wrong with "adjacent in any direction"?


It assumes you already agree on what a direction is. Whether or not "diagonal" is a direction is a thing that varies from game. "Adjacent in any of the eight directions" is much clearer.
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.