Recommend

Thumb up
 Hide
14 Posts

Gloomhaven» Forums » Rules

Subject: Executioner battle goal question (** minor character ability spoilers **) rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Dor Levi
msg tools
mbmbmb
The Executioner battle goal requires you to
Spoiler (click to reveal)
Kill an undamaged monster with a single attack

My question is
Does "insta-kill" cards such as the Mindthief's Carnium Overload or the Brute's Fatal Advance count as an attack for that purpose.

Because no attack modifier card is being drawn, I'm going to guess that's a "no", but I'm not sure

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Baker Odom
United States
Bluffton
South Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
molejo wrote:
The Executioner battle goal requires you to
Kill an undamaged monster with a single attack

My question is
Does "insta-kill" cards such as the Mindthief's Carnium Overload or the Brute's Fatal Advance count as an attack for that purpose.

Because no attack modifier card is being drawn, I'm going to guess that's a "no", but I'm not sure

Since the battle goal specifies "with a single attack" rather than just telling you to kill an enemy with a single ability I would say no.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt M
United States
NoVA
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'd argue you're still performing an attack...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Baker Odom
United States
Bluffton
South Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
mellman99 wrote:

Except in instances like Retaliate where you're dealing damage it's been clearly ruled that you are not attacking.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jay Johnson
United States
Cedar Falls
Iowa
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
mellman99 wrote:

abilities are only attacks if the ability specifically says "Attack" (which also means you draw an attack modifier card for it)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alex Florin
United States
San Jose
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
"Attack" means something very specific for all rules. The ability needs to say Attack in order for it to be used for that battle goal.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott

Wisconsin
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
If a monster has no damage, but has a condition such as poison, does it still count as completed for the card?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
michael ray
msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Scozar52 wrote:
If a monster has no damage, but has a condition such as poison, does it still count as completed for the card?

How did it get poison? If it got it from a previously attack, then no. If it got it from anything else, yes.

EDIT: Whoops, misread the original bit. It wouldn't matter how it got the poison, just that it was a full health.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Darren Nakamura
United States
Columbus
Mississippi
flag msg tools
http://www.destructoid.com/author.phtml?a=1364
badge
Darren@destructoid.com
mbmbmbmbmb
What's the actual wording on the card? Does it specify it has to be unattacked or undamaged?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott

Wisconsin
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
It is possible to poison an enemy, and either get no damage due to shields, or because of a complete miss. The enemy would still be undamaged, but have a condition.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jay Johnson
United States
Cedar Falls
Iowa
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Dexter345 wrote:
What's the actual wording on the card? Does it specify it has to be unattacked or undamaged?

good point, there is a difference.

Also creates the question of if a monster has been damaged, then healed back to max HP, and then is killed by the "executioner", does it satisfy the battle goal?

Given the tendancy for the game to prefer simple rulings when possible, I'd say any time the monster is at full HP (regardless of status effects or previous history) and your single attack kills it, it counts
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Darren Nakamura
United States
Columbus
Mississippi
flag msg tools
http://www.destructoid.com/author.phtml?a=1364
badge
Darren@destructoid.com
mbmbmbmbmb
That's my intuition on it as well. It'd be messy to have to remember an enemy has been attacked and blocked the damage, or that it took damage and healed, or any of that. Much cleaner to say, "Oh, it went from full health to no health in this one hit."
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Arthur Janicek
Canada
Winnipeg
Manitoba
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Dexter345 wrote:
undamaged
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
michael ray
msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Scozar52 wrote:
It is possible to poison an enemy, and either get no damage due to shields, or because of a complete miss. The enemy would still be undamaged, but have a condition.

There are also non-attacks that add poison, the scoundrel has at least 1.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.