Popular Tags: music [+] [View All]
Andy Parsons
United Kingdom
CHELMSFORD
Essex
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmb
I look forward to our annual listings of favourite albums. They always turn up intriguing new sounds to investigate. Let me kick things off with ten that were new to me in 2017. I've been slow on the uptake with some; the oldest album on my list (Tender Prey's) dates back to 2015. For me it was the best year for discovering new musicians in a long time. Nine of the ten below were previously unknown to me - William Parker is the exception. The two from Brazil were a particular surprise since I've always been immune to the charms of bossa and samba.

Ryley Walker - Golden Sings That Have Been Sung

"...acoustic guitar-playing and the general musical milieu - a heady cross-pollination between folk, jazz, blues and psychedelia that was buried in the outer reaches of obscurity for ages but is now quite hip - remain unchanged. Everything else has acquired whole new levels of ambition, confidence and originality." lineofbestfit.com

Luisa Maita - Fio da Memoria

"Maita’s freedom from both her love of the past and the samba tradition is delectable. The underlying drum pattern on “Fio da Memória” is a samba, but Maita and her collaborators blur it in digital delay, synth fuzz, and processed drum hits, transforming that telltale pulse into something unfamiliar." pitchfork.com

Saul Williams - MartyrLoserKing

"...initially an early candidate for Hip-Hop Album of the Year. However, the more I listened to this the denser I realized the album was musically. It pulls from rock, punk, noise, industrial, hip-hop, and even African tribal music. Lyrically the album is among the first to take this kind of look at hacker culture as well as how the definition of the artist and art have changed in the digital age." punknews.org

Elza Soares - The Woman at the End of the World

"For the extraordinary Elza Soares, time doesn’t seem to matter. She is officially in her late 70s (though the archives suggest she could be older)... she recorded this remarkable new set with a band that includes Kiko Dinucci of Metá Metá and members of Afrobeat-influenced Bixiga 70. They mix samba with distorted rock and jazz influences on songs that deal with subjects including domestic violence and the death of a crack-addicted transvestite. Soares’s husky, crooned vocals dominate throughout." The Guardian

Duke Garwood - Garden of Ashes

"On one level this is beautiful, relaxing music, but there are dark and deep-lying undercurrents. The blackness of Nick Cave and the wisdom of Leonard Cohen are both felt, as is the space out menace of The Doors." MusicOMH

Tender Prey - Organ Calzone

"...a collection of dark, gnarly songs that mine a seam of stripped bare, minimal blues rock. But there's a lot more to Organ Calzone than the type of howling-at-the-moon 'authenticity' such a descriptor conjures up, thanks to Bryon's knack for layering vivid melodies over the starkest of arrangements." The Quietus

The Wave Pictures - Bamboo Diner in the Rain

"While there’s still more than a hint in their sound of the wiry melodicism of the Go-Betweens and the playfully naïf rock’n’roll of Jonathan Richman – despite frontman Dave Tattersall’s description of “an indie rock band with absolutely no indie rock influences” – they’ve frequently veered closer to rootsy Americana than the small-town romanticism and pithy observations of their lyrics might suggest." MusicOMH

Jaimie Branch - Fly or Die

"It's a sharply focused work that moves from one great idea to another quickly and – while retaining its originality - is also very representative of the last 20 years of a certain Chicago sound, with its musical precision and post-production work in the electro-acoustic realm of Tortoise or Rob Mazurek's many projects. What you're getting here is 35 minutes of compacted and refined hyperactivity that is also highly sensitive, a bit stormy, and completely brilliant." freejazzblog.org

Meridian Brothers - Donde Estas Maria

"There’s everything here from cumbia to reggaeton and Andean huaynos, in an ever-changing fusion in which the insistent percussion is matched against electronica, guitars and the unlikely addition of strings, with prominent use of cello. His vocal work may be nothing remarkable, but from the slinky opening title track to the driving Cumbia, Eres La Cumbia, this is an album that succeeds because it’s tuneful, clever and enormous fun." The Guardian

William Parker - Meditation/Resurrection

"It’s hard to pick a favorite William Parker outfit. Everything he touches is magic, from his giant orchestras to his solo outings. But his quartets might be his ideal venues: There’s enough structure that the music can’t be called free jazz, and there’s enough leeway to let democracy command the performance." Jazz Times

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wendell
United States
Yellow Springs
Ohio
flag msg tools
Si non potes reperire Berolini in tabula, ludens essetis non WIF.
badge
Hey, get your stinking cursor off my face! I got nukes, you know.
mbmbmbmbmb
The Nashville Sound - Jason Isbell and the 400 Unit

awesome Americana

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
¡dn ʇǝƃ ʇ,uɐɔ ı puɐ uǝllɐɟ ǝʌ,ı
Canada
Chestermere
Alberta
flag msg tools
Life lesson: Hamsters are NOT diswasher safe.
badge
There are 10 types of people-- those who understand binary, and those who don't.
mbmbmbmbmb
The only new music I bought last year:

Ray Davies: Americana
The frontman for the Kinks has knocked it out of the park on this solo album, featuring backing musicians The Jayhawks.
Outstanding stuff, and it gets better with every listen.

Lorde: Melodrama
S'okay.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Erik D
United States
Pasadena
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Reposted from Facebook. Too lazy to format.

Songs and albums are listed in order of quietest to loudest:

ALBUMS:

Courtney Barnett & Kurt Vile - Lotta Sea Lice (indie, singer-songwriter)
Sleaford Mods - English Tapas (it's just a drum machine, a bass, the rare keyboard, and a pissed off English bloke. I've never heard anything like it)
Moon Duo - Occult Architecture Vols. 1 & 2 (psych) - maybe my favorite of the year
Tera Melos - Trash Generator (math rock)
Wolf Alice - Visions of a Life (indie)
Sheer Mag - Need to Feel Your Love (garage punk)
Thee Oh Sees - Orc (psych rock)
Queens of the Stone Age - Villains (rock)
Foo Fighters - Concrete and Gold (rock)
Dead Cross - Dead Cross (punk/metal - Mike Patton, that's all you need to know)
Pissed Jeans - Why Love Now (sludgy hardcore punk)
Ecstatic Vision - Raw Rock Fury (psych rock)

HONORABLE MENTIONS:
King Gizzard and the Lizard Wizard - they released 4 albums this year. Amazingly, they're all distinctive and pretty good. The most recent of the bunch (Polygondwanaland) is free on their site. Definitely worth checking out.
Zeal and Ardor - Devil Is Fine - the concept is excellent: slave spirituals mixed with death metal. And Satan. Lots of Satan. The album really needs to be remixed though. I was constantly adjusting the volume with every song.

SONGS:
Courney Barnett & Kurt Vile - "Untogether" (indie, singer-songwriter)
Zeal and Ardor - "Devil Is Fine" (spiritual)
Moon Duo - "Mirror's Edge" (psych) - there's nothing special about this track. It's just a perfectly laid back jam.
Pissed Jeans - "I'm a Man" (spoken word) - hilarious and disturbing. It's only appropriate this song came out in the same year as the #metoo campaign.
Christian Fitness - "Bruce Hated Puppies" (punk, hard rock)
The Downtown Boys - "A Wall" (punk)
Foo Fighters - "The Sky Is a Neighborhood" (rock)
Pissed Jeans - "Waiting On My Horrible Warning" (sludge punk) - Someone could put this on the Tom Waits album Real Gone and nobody would find it out of place.
The Uniform - "Tabloid" (metal)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andy Parsons
United Kingdom
CHELMSFORD
Essex
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmb
The Sleaford Mods are pretty unique - even to British ears.

I have Occult Architecture Volume 1 on the way from some CD discounter in Switzerland. To my ears the two volumes sound very different. I much prefer the first.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
"that's a smith and wesson, and you've had your six"
mbmbmb
AC/DC - Back In black. 2017 unsurprisingly was the same as 2016, 2015, 2014...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Erik D
United States
Pasadena
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Andy Parsons wrote:
I have Occult Architecture Volume 1 on the way from some CD discounter in Switzerland. To my ears the two volumes sound very different. I much prefer the first.

Vol 2 is way more mellow. I have no preference, mainly because I listen to both as one big volume now. The mellower back half is a nice counterpoint to the more energetic start.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Jones
United States
Round Rock
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
wifwendell wrote:

awesome Americana

Yep. Best album I heard all year. Isbell has turned out three superb efforts in a row.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kyle
Canada
Toronto
flag msg tools
Show me something that beats a natural 20 and I'll show you hateful lies.
badge
We've taken care of everything...
mbmbmbmbmb
MWChapel wrote:

What a sad existence.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wendell
United States
Yellow Springs
Ohio
flag msg tools
Si non potes reperire Berolini in tabula, ludens essetis non WIF.
badge
Hey, get your stinking cursor off my face! I got nukes, you know.
mbmbmbmbmb
Kafka wrote:
wifwendell wrote:

awesome Americana

Yep. Best album I heard all year. Isbell has turned out three superb efforts in a row.

I was sad when he was fired from Drive-By Truckers. But I'm glad he's gotten his life together - and now we get DBT and Isbell albums.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
"that's a smith and wesson, and you've had your six"
mbmbmb
darthain wrote:
MWChapel wrote:

What a sad existence.

New music is for high schoolers, hipsters and DINKS.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pete Lane
United States
Golden Valley
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Word of warning, I'm a bit of a heavier music fan, so expect a more metal bend to my choices of the year.

Have to admit that there was only one full album I found myself loving this year, and it was one from 2016 that I was late to the party on. (NSFW Language)

Bring Me The Horizon - Live At Royal Albert Hall
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=58LeVo7j46w&index=2&list=PLw...

As for singles I've loved:

Prvis - What's Wrong
I absolutely loved this band's debut album. Second album came out this summer and wasn't as good, but this single captured a really great turn for the band. Lyrics are about the struggles the singer deals with fighting clinical depression. (NSFW video images)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zj4iQItsJSY

Architects - Doomsday
Band from the UK who recently lost their main songwriter/guitarist (and brother to the singer) to cancer. This was the last song he had written for the band and stands to be one of the best songs they will ever put out. Also was a nod to fans who thought the band wouldn't stay together after the loss. The are planning to release a new album and tour early 2018.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RvWbcK3YQ_o

Helloween - Pumpkins United This one is a bit special to me. Was a HUGE fan of theirs in high school (late 80's-early 90's) but lived in a very small town far away from any major metros. They are a German band that rarely toured in the US so I never got to see them live. After nasty breakups, lineup changes, and a decline in quality of newer songs... they decided to throw away differences and bring all the previous members and singers back for one major tour to celebrate the anniversary of their seminal albums from the 80's. This is the song they released for us fans and features all three previous singers and all guitarists from their history (except one). Turned out to be a glorious return to their "original" sound full of the European Power Metal style that influenced modern bands like Dragonforce and Blind Guardian. Uplifting and gives me goosepimples every time I hear it. I'm flying 1500 miles just to see them for the first time 30 years later. WORTH IT.

https://youtu.be/Feu8bxF05Rw

Unleash the Archers - Awakening
Speaking of Power Metal, this is one of the newer bands that Helloween inspired. Love this song, really captures the spirit of this kind of metal music.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gqUPGa15Oto

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
☆ ✧ ☆ ✧ ☆
United States
Minneapolis
Minnesota
flag msg tools
Looking at these stars suddenly dwarfed my own troubles and all the gravities of terrestrial life. I thought of their unfathomable distance, and the slow inevitable drift of their movements out of the unknown past into the unknown future. H.G. Wells
badge
Humankind has not woven the web of life. We are but one thread within it. Whatever we do to the web, we do to ourselves. All things are bound together. All things connect. Chief Seattle
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't know if I am more interested in new music this year or if this year produced a ton of great music or what, but I have been way more excited about recent music in 2017 than I have been in a really long time.

Courtney Barnett and Kurt Vile Lotta Sea Lice
The War on Drugs A Deeper Understanding
Phoebe Bridgers Stranger in the Alps
LCD Soundsystem American Dream
The National Sleep Well Beast
Aimee Mann Mental Illness
Lana Del Rey Lust For Life
Alvvays Antisocialites
Slowdive Slowdive
The XX I See You
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tony Ackroyd
United Kingdom
Brighton
E Sussex
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Andy Parsons wrote:
The Sleaford Mods are pretty unique - even to British ears.

The Sleaford Mods live at Glastonbury festival here:
https://www.dailymotion.com/video/x5rywj7

I feature in the crowd a couple of times, notably at the 17 min mark in a yellow t-shirt.

It was a great gig. Things get hazy for me after that on that day.

I don't buy many Albums now and I don't pay attention to what years they are from, but heres some bands I've appreciated recently:

Courtney Barnett, with or without Kurt Vile
Royal Blood (amazing 2 piece rock band)
Honeyblood (great indie 2 piece)
Father John Misty
Wild Beasts
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andy Parsons
United Kingdom
CHELMSFORD
Essex
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmb
MWChapel wrote:
darthain wrote:
MWChapel wrote:

What a sad existence.

New music is for high schoolers, hipsters and DINKS.

I'm definitely not a high schooler or a DINK. By process of elimination that makes me a hipster. How jolly cool.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
andrew
Australia
bayswater
western australia
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
OUr local community radio station RTRfm had it's 40th birthday this year. They booked the local city concert hall for the event.

The highlight for me was locl band Mt Mountain playing their 2017 studio album live with one of the coolest video montages I've ever witnessed..

Mount Mountain - Dust (post rock).

Here's the bands site where you can have a listen but all the vinyl is sold out. I did a google and I can get it from the USA or Germany for stupid money..
How Ironic..
https://mtmountain.bandcamp.com/
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Goo
United States
Yorba Linda
California
flag msg tools
badge
You can certainly try.
mbmbmb
I bought some Sonos speakers for around my house and subscribed to Apple Music this year, and it changed my relationship to music. Before, I was mired in the same old same old, listening to the same favorites over and over (Joy Division, The Smiths, The Shins, The Jam). Deciding that was a sure sign of aging ("music was only good when I was in my formative and impressionable years!"), I have really been exploring and loving new music.

The upside of Apple Music is that I did not purchase any albums. The downside is that I did not purchase any albums. In the olden days, we would scrounge together all the quarters and dollars we could to go buy an LP. You put much thought into what you were going to buy, then brought it home and spent some quality time with it (reading liner notes, just sitting and listening). Now, music is more of a commodity and I wasn't spending cuddle time with new records like I used to. Sonos helped change that. Rather than just having background music, I have made efforts to sit and give new music quality attention. So, it's almost a perfect fix, except now there is too much music. It's very similar to my feels on new boardgames. I become only acquainted with many games and only develop deep relationships with very few. Also, I'll find something, love it, move on, then forget about it since I don't have a copy of it anywhere. I'm trying to get better at tracking.

2017 highlights*
Kendrick Lamar - DAMN.
Girlpool - Power Plant
Vagabon - Infinite Worlds
Run the Jewels 3
Lana Del Rey - Lust For Life
Slowdive - Slowdive
Jay Som - Everybody Works
Charlotte Gainsbourg - Rest

Stuff many like but I really tried but just couldn't get:
Haim
Perfume Genius
Kamasi Washington

*I follow Pitchfork, so no surprise I think everything I listed shows up on their best of 2017 lists. Pitchfork has opened my world to styles and artists I normally either never heard or actively avoided.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andy Parsons
United Kingdom
CHELMSFORD
Essex
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmb
I have a disimilar story to tell about Spotify. This was the year I discovered its vast library of tunes and used it a great deal. An end of year email told me I'd spent 4,270 minutes or over 71 hours in its company. But all those minutes were spent auditioning albums before purchasing. My need to own the physical artifact is still strong.

Oh, and you're right about Kamasi Washington.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Saz Wells
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmb
WARNING: INCOMING METAL FAN LIST!

It was really hard to narrow my list down, because there were so many great metal albums in 2017. It was the best year for metal music in a long while, especially from newer, younger bands. But because no one wants a 50 album list, here are my top 5 of 2017 (in no particular order):

Code Orange - Forever
This album. The first album was great, but this step up is massive. Crushing, aggressive but also pushing boundaries with interplay’s of ambience and vulnerability. Clever, thoughtful lyrics and a hard political edge really add to it. Here is a group of people pissed off with the world, but not just yelling about it, giving you things to genuinely think about. Also great to see a genuinely heavy, noisy band get a Grammy award.

Power Trip - Nightmare Logic
One of the best straight up trash albums released since the 80’s. Yes, it plays to all the trash tropes, but when it’s this heavy and this good I don’t care. Awesome riffs, face melting solos and jackhammer drums. What’s not to love?

Mastadon - Emperor of Sand
I’ll admit to bias on this one, because I love pretty much everything they’ve done, but this is their best album. I love that it draws together from all the disparate and intresting places they have been musically and drawing it together into one album that truly is just them. Proggy, doomy, poppy, heavy, light it’s all here and blended beautifully.

Elder - Reflections of a Floating World
Classic downtuned doom with a psychedelic twist and beautifully crafted songs combine to produce an album that takes you on a real journey. Turn the lights down, tune in and immerse yourself in warm riffs, airy solos and drifting, melancholic vocals.

Zeal and Ardor - Devil is Fine
African chain gang chanting meets icey cold black metal, with a smattering of blues? On paper this shouldn’t work; in practice it’s an album totally unlike anything else you’ve heard. Haunting, Erie but also catchy as hell, and all from the mind of one man

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pete Lane
United States
Golden Valley
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The_Saz wrote:

African chain gang chanting meets icey cold black metal, with a smattering of blues? On paper this shouldn’t work; in practice it’s an album totally unlike anything else you’ve heard. Haunting, Erie but also catchy as hell, and all from the mind of one man

Wow, thanks for this. Really unique.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Erik D
United States
Pasadena
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The_Saz wrote:
African chain gang chanting meets icey cold black metal, with a smattering of blues? On paper this shouldn’t work

It always works on paper. The real question is why didn't anybody think of it before!

I just really wish it was mastered better. There's no consistency in volume track-to-track. "What's a Killer Like You Gonna Do Here", a standout track, is so silent I hardly realize it's on while driving.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Goo
United States
Yorba Linda
California
flag msg tools
badge
You can certainly try.
mbmbmb
Andy Parsons wrote:
I have a disimilar story to tell about Spotify. This was the year I discovered its vast library of tunes and used it a great deal. An end of year email told me I'd spent 4,270 minutes or over 71 hours in its company. But all those minutes were spent auditioning albums before purchasing. My need to own the physical artifact is still strong.

Oh, and you're right about Kamasi Washington.

I've got shelves full of games, rooms full of books, boxes full of comics, etc. I'm tired of owning stuff. I got rid of all my CDs, DVDs, and Blu-Rays a few years ago and I love it. Last night, my daughter needed a flash drive and I was like, um sorry, I don't do media at all. It's such a burden. With Apple Music or Spotify, I can't really tell if I'm streaming something or listening to it from my library.

But... I do have my old records and I'm considering getting a new turntable.* It's antithetical to my minimalist, media-free life, but I do miss albums and it can plug right into my Sonos 5.

Also, I suspect I am in the wrong about Kamasi Washington. I plan to try again. It felt too chaotic and cacophonous. But it could have just been my mood at the time.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tanner Griffin
United States
Ogden
Utah
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mb
This year had some incredible albums I discovered.

If you somehow missed Kendrick Lamar's DAMN., listen to it as soon as you can. It is such an emotional album, especially for being rap. Highlights: DNA., DUCKWORTH., and XXX.

Parker Millsap's The Very Last Day, on the complete opposite side of music, is my favorite discovery of the year (although it came out in 2016). His voice is strong and unique, and the lyrics vary from deeply emotional to just silly fun. Highlights: Heaven Sent, Hades Pleads, and Hands Up.

A lot of people tend not to like Halsey because she had that huge hit last year that got way overplayed, and as a result dismiss her other music, but Hopeless Fountain Kingdom is really worth a listen. Her own music is very different from her collaboration with The Chainsmokers (thank goodness), and there are some serious jams on this album. Highlights: 100 Letters, Walls Could Talk, Strangers, and Hopeless.

And finally, Vulfpeck released an album in 2016 that I didn't discover until 2017, and another in 2017 that wasn't nearly as good.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jerbear
United States
Loveland
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
1 Million Shogoths Killed and Counting.
mbmbmbmbmb
The_Saz wrote:

I’ll admit to bias on this one, because I love pretty much everything they’ve done, but this is their best album. I love that it draws together from all the disparate and intresting places they have been musically and drawing it together into one album that truly is just them. Proggy, doomy, poppy, heavy, light it’s all here and blended beautifully.

You mean best album after Crack the Sky...Right?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richie Freeman
United Kingdom
London
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The_Saz wrote:

+1. Not my favourite Mastodon album, but it’s definitely up there. Absolutely outstanding album.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.