Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Jon Snow
United States
New York City
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Years ago, 1066 And All That, a short comedic history of the Western World, was written by Richard Armour. One line that stays with me was about WWII: "Japan surprise attacked us at Pearl Harbor, whereupon we landed in North Africa to confuse the Japs."

I'm currently reading two new books I got for Christmas, which are the first two volumes in what is reviving that historical comedy tradition, the new short series A Very Very Short History of England by Ed West. I'm halfway through the first volume, and both are about our time period, Saxons vs. Vikings: Alfred the Great and England in the Dark Ages and 1066 And Before All That: The Battle of Hastings; Anglo Saxon and Norman England.

As someone who has always been fascinated by Vikings, and whose English grandfather's people came originally from Northumberland--the ancestral village with my family name is up on the Scottish border--I've played many board games with Vikings. One was the old William The Conqueror:1066 (TSR, 1976), oddly published by an obscure press in Beloit, Wisconsin, the small town where this NYC boy went to college back in the early Seventies.

The game had two battles, one one each side of its fabric map: Stamford Bridge and Hastings. Although a simple tactical wargame, you could play the two as a mini campaign, where the outcome at Stamford affected which English forces could appear at the second battle of Hastings.

Now that I'm getting my 878 Vikings game next week, I've been reading up on the game here. It strikes me that Academy has done a great job of putting the historical data into a simple wargame. As an owner of 1775 Rebellion (and Mare Nostrum Empires, for which I have rules editing credit, for that matter) I was waiting to see if the Viking game would be too similar. But that fear now assuaged by the interesting reports I'm getting, and the many expansion variations, I'm in.

And I'm wondering if Academy would consider doing a 1066 expansion. The three way struggle among Harold Godwinson, Harald Hardrada, and William would make for a devilish strategic campaign, wouldn't it? And they could throw in a Norman army, but use the same rules and board. What if the Normans landed before the Norwegians? What if each faction used different strategy and tactics? Etc.?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Duke
United States
Wynne
Arkansas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
This is the 3rd or 4th time someone has talked 1066 with Vikings, and mostly I've thought it was rubbish.

But you aren't talking about taking THIS game and just adding a few extra rules and cards...

The idea of a game with THREE sides has not been done by Academy yet, and sounds very interesting to me.

Yeah, I'd be interested in that.

It would need some 'help' to make it so that it wasn't an obvious "Vikes and Normans just both focus on the Saxons until they've beat them to death and THEN they turn on each other." Because that would be pretty boring for the Saxons. They'd need some mechanisms to encourage Vikes and Normans to tangle with each other, at least to some degree. Possibly 4 players, with Vikes, Normans, and two Saxons (Harold and a brother?), but 2 players working directly together and two with a difficult relationship.

Hmmm. All the games have involved having multi-color armies though... This won't be easy.

But it's an interesting thought.

I have written several articles about "difference between X and Y" in the series of these games but, since you already have it coming, I won't dig one out. Trust me-- there ARE plenty of significant differences and you won't feel like you're playing "same game, different map."

Of course, we saw in 1754 that a "different map" can make quite a lot of difference on its own.

Enjoy!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Guy
England
Chorleywood
Hertfordshire
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
https://boardgamegeek.com/thread/1908709/just-few-cards-and-...

I think the modern parlance is ninja'd

It's 878 by the way, not 868. Unless you were planning a pre emptive strike by the Vikings I suppose.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.