Jon Snow
United States
New York City
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
"No place in England is more than 50 miles from a navigable waterway."
--History Department Chair Professor Robert Irrmann, Beloit College, circa 1970

This came to mind when the designer of the 878 Vikings board mentioned that while the road and river systems of England are not shown on the game board, they are factored into how the areas were designed for the possible mobility of the armies in the game. This gave me hope that, without having seen the game yet, the strategies to be employed by either side would properly reflect the historical options presented to the actual historical leaders. And strategy discussions here on the boards so far seem to confirm that. Just as in 1775 Rebellion the basic historical choices open to both sides are presented in the game design. So I can hardly wait to read the historical notes in the rules and start experimenting with the game play. My old history prof would have been proud!

The History Channel series Vikings shows how, even with all the bloody role playing about Norse warrior cults and berserkers, sound strategy still was what would usually win the day. So here's a toast to more subtle Viking and English leaders, and good gaming. Skoal!

The Vikings did not look to risk a large pitched battle in general, and initially adopted a hit them where they ain't strategy. Sail upriver, grab horses, smash and loot, and get the heck out before the defenders know you're there! Of course, if you want to actually conquer a country, you have to plan more carefully. But still subtly can be more profitable than glory, although the best is to combine them when possible! Odin and Loki are strategists and clever gods as leaders, even though perhaps we love Thor the most for his good heart.

So try to win by planning, and then fight hard! How will this play out now in our game?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.