Gerard Velde
msg tools
I have 5 cards in my hand. Last green door i need, a green key card, but also a nightmare. Am i allowed to unlock the last green door with the keycard i have and win the game, or do i first have to resolve the nightmare?

Many thanks in advance for answering my question!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Dubya
United States
Scotia
New York
flag msg tools
admin
designer
I know where you live, and I've seen where you sleep. I swear to everything holy that your mothers will CRY when they see what I've done to you
badge
Oh, not in Utica, no. It's an Albany expression.
mbmbmbmbmb
You aren't allowed to have a nightmare "in hand." From page 9 of the rules:
Quote:
When you draw a Nightmare card, you have to choose one of the following four options:

I. Discard a Key card from your hand.

II. Place one of your gained Door cards in the Limbo pile.

III. Reveal the top 5 cards from the deck: discard all those cards, except Door and/or Dream cards, which are placed into the Limbo pile.

IV. Discard your whole hand and draw a new hand of 5 cards, using the method described for the beginning of the game: draw cards until you have 5 Location cards in your hand, putting aside any Door and/or Dream card into the Limbo pile (the Dream cards are not resolved, and you cannot obtain a Door card by discarding a Key card).

Once the Nightmare card has been resolved, discard it.

Sadly, the nightmare must be dealt with when drawn, thus making life unpleasant. Bad dreams are like that.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rob McArthur
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
It depends on the order you drew the cards. You can’t have doors or nightmares ‘in hand’, and must resolve them immediately. So if you already had the key card in hand, then drew the door you can use the keycard to get the door. Any other scenario (nightmare draw before door, door before key), you’d lose.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gerard Velde
msg tools
I already had the green keycard and had to draw 2 cards, one of them a green door, other a nightmare. So they came in game exactly the same time..

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Torben
Germany
Gönnheim
Rheinland-Pfalz
flag msg tools
badge
This is a sloth. It accurately represents my style of life.
mbmbmbmbmb
You drew one of them first; deal with that one first.
By that time you shouldn't even know what card you are about to draw next.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.