Justin Gortner
United States
Egg Harbor Township
New Jersey
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi all,

Just trying to understand this aspect of the game better. I see that there is definitely a campaign and story for the game. But if you don’t have the means, can you instead just Jump around to any scenario / story.

If you can jump around, how does the game handle leveling you up or otherwise so that you can play future more difficult scenarios without having played and geared up prior.

Thanks in advance for your help!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Greg
Canada
Winnipeg
Manitoba
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
You can play individual scenarios if you prefer. The campaign book gives you an amount of soul points/treasures/etc that you start with for the scenario you're playing.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Justin Gortner
United States
Egg Harbor Township
New Jersey
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Glic2003 wrote:
You can play individual scenarios if you prefer. The campaign book gives you an amount of soul points/treasures/etc that you start with for the scenario you're playing.

So you could literally just jump to the final scenario / boss? And be leveled up and equipped appropriately?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tomer Mlynarsky
Israel
flag msg tools
jgortner wrote:
Glic2003 wrote:

So you could literally just jump to the final scenario / boss? And be leveled up and equipped appropriately?

Yes. Basically the book will tell you that if you play it as a stand alone, how to adjust your characters accordingly.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
François Mahieu
Belgium
Rhode-Saint-Genèse
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
But playing the campaign gives the best experience imho. It's only 7 scenarios.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tomer Mlynarsky
Israel
flag msg tools
poifpoif wrote:
But playing the campaign gives the best experience imho. It's only 7 scenarios.

Technically it's 6 missions you'll have to play through.

I agree that having your characters is far better than solo stands, but that's not what he's asking for.

Maybe they don't have a set group of people to make a commitment as such.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gorka Morka
Germany
Bavaria
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
jgortner wrote:
Glic2003 wrote:

There are a few points worth noting:

- You'll have stronger heroes in the later missions, if you play the campaign. The amount of XP and treasures you'll receive playing missions in standalone-mode, doesn't compare to a party that ran through the whole campaign.

- There are certain story points in the Book of Secrets, that'll ask you how you chose to decide in an earlier mission. E.g. (not in the actual story, because spoilers and such, just to make it clear what I mean) in mission 4 you might be asked if you killed or saved the elephant in mission 2, because the Fairy King in mission 4 really likes elephants. Based on your previous decision, the Fairy King might either shower you in gold or attack you. This system obviously doesn't work if you play missions in standalone-mode. Which makes me think that the Gremlins added standalone-mode as an afterthought, with clear focus on campaign play.

- You won't level up that often. In fact, especially in later missions (where it takes more XP to level up), there will be players, whose characters won't level up at all. Since the hero-building is an important aspect (at least for me, YMMV), that may be a downer. Again, this clearly isn't a problem in campaign mode. I safely got all of my 4 heroes to max. level 4 by the end of Act I.

- There are other Dungeon Crawlers that do the single-mission-thing with leveling and gearing up in the course of 3-4 hours WAY better than S&S. Two of S&S's strong points are the cohesive story (minus the shitty humor) and thorough character development. I don't think you'll find standalone mode satisfactory, at least I really wouldn't.

Just my 2 cents.

Regards, Gorkar

Edit: Gold is also pretty much useless in missions where you cannot visit the emporium. This usually happens in between missions.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Hector Garza
United States
Chicago
Illinois
flag msg tools
Agree with what most are saying. Campaign really is the way to go.

*Some of the later quests can be somewhat more complex than your basic dungeon crawl. Mechanics and monsters are gradually presented in such a way that I think trying to tackle late quests especially in the expansions might be overwhelming.

*Suggested powers, items, etc for playing scenario and random seems like bare minimum to win and miss out on opportunity to grow characters and find awesome loot.

*Storybook may not make sense - some quest setup and story can be dependent on choices made during previous chapters.

I could see replaying a random scenario working after having played the campaign though.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom Yerton
United States
Oklahoma
flag msg tools
Gorkar wrote:
jgortner wrote:
Glic2003 wrote:

There are a few points worth noting:

- You'll have stronger heroes in the later missions, if you play the campaign. The amount of XP and treasures you'll receive playing missions in standalone-mode, doesn't compare to a party that ran through the whole campaign.

- There are certain story points in the Book of Secrets, that'll ask you how you chose to decide in an earlier mission. E.g. (not in the actual story, because spoilers and such, just to make it clear what I mean) in mission 4 you might be asked if you killed or saved the elephant in mission 2, because the Fairy King in mission 4 really likes elephants. Based on your previous decision, the Fairy King might either shower you in gold or attack you. This system obviously doesn't work if you play missions in standalone-mode. Which makes me think that the Gremlins added standalone-mode as an afterthought, with clear focus on campaign play.

- You won't level up that often. In fact, especially in later missions (where it takes more XP to level up), there will be players, whose characters won't level up at all. Since the hero-building is an important aspect (at least for me, YMMV), that may be a downer. Again, this clearly isn't a problem in campaign mode. I safely got all of my 4 heroes to max. level 4 by the end of Act I.

- There are other Dungeon Crawlers that do the single-mission-thing with leveling and gearing up in the course of 3-4 hours WAY better than S&S. Two of S&S's strong points are the cohesive story (minus the shitty humor) and thorough character development. I don't think you'll find standalone mode satisfactory, at least I really wouldn't.

Just my 2 cents.

Regards, Gorkar

Edit: Gold is also pretty much useless in missions where you cannot visit the emporium. This usually happens in between missions.

Which games in your opinion do a better job?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gorka Morka
Germany
Bavaria
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Tulsatom wrote:
Which games in your opinion do a better job?

Massive Darkness or Descent 2nd Edition with RtL App

Regards, Gorkar

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.