Gaia Project» Forums » Strategy

Subject: I want to build PI when playing the Bal T'ak rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Arthur CJK
Taiwan
flag msg tools
Hey Masters,

People say that for Bal Tak it is no need to build their PI at all. However, when I just played it myself today. I feel that spending a QIC for a planet just 2-3 hex away is kind of a waste and without range you don't dare to land the gaia planets. Therefore, I think about getting Nav 2 at R3 or R4 at least when playing it again next time.

Have anyone tried this already? How does it work?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jack Spirio
Austria
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I played them once and just got tons of QICs to fly anywhere
Worked smoothly

Interested to hear how it is otherwise
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kin
Canada
Etobicoke
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Based on 16 games, our group’s highest score was with the Bal T’aks and it was achieved without the PI.

It would seem that they are the one faction that does not require advancement in navigation.
They should move up the Gaia Track to have all three of the Gaia formers and use the QICs to travel.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Jones
United States
Wilsonville
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I've only played one game with them, but I can offer a data point on the countering strategy. I focused on an early PI because I was worried about navigation, but by the time I built this, it became too expensive to build the research lab needed to get the second bump on the Nav track. So if you can't afford to get to range 2, the PI ability isn't really useful. It's also difficult to play this race with only four power tokens, so you need that second bump on the gaia track if you want to create a federation. You can also effectively turn QIC into power tokens if you need more, for whatever reason. I think my final score was in the 60s while everybody else was over 100. I felt really dumb afterwards too. I've successfully played the "use QIC for range" strategy with other races, so I know to make it work. I just panicked and made a bad choice in the opening game. It might make sense to build the PI later in the game for the power income, but early PI just seems like bad road.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Arthur CJK
Taiwan
flag msg tools
davypi wrote:
I've only played one game with them, but I can offer a data point on the countering strategy. I focused on an early PI because I was worried about navigation, but by the time I built this, it became too expensive to build the research lab needed to get the second bump on the Nav track. So if you can't afford to get to range 2, the PI ability isn't really useful. .......... early PI just seems like bad road.

Agree. When we have enough resources for the expensive PI we still need to make sure that we can reach Nav 2 at the same time. That means we need to save 4 knowledge points and build another RL or AC, or spend 4 QIC(also expensive too)to do so. This isn't easy at all. So maybe Rd4 or even Rd5 for doing this?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Jones
United States
Wilsonville
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
ArthBazz wrote:
So maybe Rd4 or even Rd5 for doing this?

I've not played the game enough to answer this with confidence, but my gut says round 4 is the earliest you want to build the PI and, more specifically, it isn't a decision I think the player should force. If you want/need the four power income that badly, there is a tech tile that does this for you which you can pick up when you build your first research center. If the four power tech isn't on the bottom row or the gaia track, maybe Bal T'ak isn't a good choice for that setup? (Again, I'm guessing.)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sergio Perez
United States
Terrell
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
candoo wrote:
Based on 16 games, our group’s highest score was with the Bal T’aks and it was achieved without the PI.

It would seem that they are the one faction that does not require advancement in navigation.

This may be slightly off-topic, but in the two games I played with Ivits, I did not advance navigation and scored 163 and 174. I think Ivits and Bal T'aks are the two factions that least rely on navigation. It's been hard for me to play any of the other factions I've played so far with nav <2.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Jones
United States
Wilsonville
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Surge1000 wrote:
I think Ivits and Bal T'aks are the two factions that least rely on navigation. It's been hard for me to play any of the other factions I've played so far with nav <2.

It can be done successfully with Xenos. They start with two QICs, one on board and one from the free starting tech. If you take your first two bumps from round one on the QIC track, that gets you five on the first turn. The PI also grants QIC income rather than power tokens.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.