Mare Nostrum: Empires» Forums » Strategy

Subject: The Judean Dilemna rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Félix Beaudouin
France
flag msg tools
Hello everyone.

Still in love with the game, i keep elaborating on opening strategies all across the board.

Jerusalem and Troia's status is one of the main question mark in the first turn.

And i have come to an interesting conclusion : If Egypt wants Jerusalem, it should cost her the political leadership to the benefit of greece. Here is why :

I'll admit Carthage goes first in all cases. But what Carthage does has an important impact on the rest of the story.

Playing first Carhtage should defend Numidia with a fortress (else it is easy prey for Rome) With two more buys, adding strength in Libya seems like the best move. If you add nothing there, Egypt can turn aggressive and occupy your territory right away. Carthage becomes dominated right away. Also adding at least one legion there puts pressure on Cyrenaiga. If Egypt doesn't defend there, Carthage can become the offender for great benefit.

So i'll also admit Carthage adds one legion in Libya. (if she doesn't the whole story crumbles i'll exmplain why later)

There are now two options for Egypt :
1) Play before Greece and Persia to grab Judea and make a Fortress there + Fortress in Cyrenaiga.

Then allow Persia to play next to allow her to take troy without fighting. I know some persian players who wouldn't even take the deal and would go full legions to march on Judaea. But let's assume Persia takes Troy.

Greece can now simply build a temple with 6 coins and take away the precious political Leader title.

2) Egypt lets Greece go before her and Persia. Grabing Troy is risky for greece as it will depend on the will of Rome to decide who goes first if Persia decides to mass troops.
Another option is then again for Greece to build a temple in Thracia. Egypte now has to chose between keeping her title by building a temple of her own in Cyrenaiga and giving Judaea to persia (and Troy to Greece probably) Or take Judaea but losing the title again to Greece.

I value political Leader title very high so I think Egypt should try to have a plan that allows her to keep it as much as possible.

Any discussion / commentary is welcome
Thx for reading
Have fun !
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.