Batman: Gotham City Chronicles» Forums » General

Subject: Overlord - how many choices? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Rocy7 POL
Poland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
As a pernament overlord in dungeon crawler gentre I always interested in question how good is the game for him? (Clarifications "good" means how many choices will have overlord during game?)

I know Conan from Monolith and when I watch Batman I see very similar mechanics.

Could anyone confirm or deny this observation?

If overlord in Batman could:
1) choose which enemies group take into scenario?
2) play any cards?
3) have more choices that sequency of enemy activations and use events in scenarios?
4) will the overlord in Batman have AI aplication or cards?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joao Rodrigues
Brazil
Guarulhos
Sao Paulo
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
They have said that Batman will bebasically a reskin for Conan, with some changes for thematic reasons.

So I'd say the overlord will have exactly the same options than he does in Conan.

I'll be subscribing this thread to know if there is any official answer to this.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bad Kam
msg tools
mbmb
Rocy7 wrote:
As a pernament overlord in dungeon crawler gentre I always interested in question how good is the game for him? (Clarifications "good" means how many choices will have overlord during game?)

I know Conan from Monolith and when I watch Batman I see very similar mechanics.

Could anyone confirm or deny this observation?

If overlord in Batman could:
2) play any cards?
3) chave more choices that sequency of enemy activations and use events in scenarios?
4) will the overlord in Batman have AI aplication or cards?

Hi,

1) In the Verus mode (1 "overlord" versus 1 "overlord) yes, in the adventure mode (1 versus many) nope.
2) There is no card playing involved in this game
3) That's really the core of the game: activating the appropriate unit at the appropriate time to answer a particular situation. As the situations are very different from a scenario to another, or even within the same scenario, the decision making is always different.
4) Nope

This is not a 100% reskin from Conan. The Overlord (now called Villain) has much more freedom in the way they activate their units and use them.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christophe Muller de Schongor
France
Cachan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
BadKam wrote:
Rocy7 wrote:
1) In the Verus mode (1 "overlord" versus 1 "overlord) yes, in the adventure mode (1 versus many) nope.

This is an essential point for me.
To clarify: the Heroes may once in a while (maybe always) have some option in their team composition, but this freedom is never on the villain's side?
I can't see any good reason for that graved-in-stone aspect, which has been a stone in Conan's shoe...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nathaniel Chambers
United States
Austin
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
XofMdS wrote:
BadKam wrote:
Rocy7 wrote:

I can't see any good reason for that graved-in-stone aspect, which has been a stone in Conan's shoe...

Theme, balance, story, scenario specific items, mission objectives, etc

And they do give you the option to do what you want in the other mode so, play that. Or, because it's a board game and not a video game, simply play it however you want. If you think there's no 'good' reason, then just play it the way you want to.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J P
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
XofMdS wrote:
BadKam wrote:
Rocy7 wrote:

To clarify: the Heroes may once in a while (maybe always) have some option in their team composition, but this freedom is never on the villain's side?

This is because the scenarios are narrative based. If the plot involves Joker and his goons doing something it doesn’t make sense for the villain to bring Bane and pals instead.

But, as others have said, if you’re only interested in mechanics and not theme or story, then just bring whomever you want.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Justin Bolles
United States
Brentwood
California
flag msg tools
"Yeah, yeah...I know...y-you're Bane. But you...I think you...forgot...
badge
...I'm Batman!"
mbmbmbmbmb
DancingFool wrote:
XofMdS wrote:
BadKam wrote:
Rocy7 wrote:

This is because the scenarios are narrative based. If the plot involves Joker and his goons doing something it doesn’t make sense for the villain to bring Bane and pals instead.

But, as others have said, if you’re only interested in mechanics and not theme or story, then just bring whomever you want.

I can just see Ra's attempting to drench the city in laughing gass

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
France
Cachan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
DancingFool wrote:
This is because the scenarios are narrative based. If the plot involves Joker and his goons doing something it

- Conan had HUGE backdrafts because of the fixed team composition for each scenario. Yet it IS narrative based also (and foremost). They claim they learned from their mistake, so that's why I am surprised they open so little this one door.
- Although you can swap certain allies on the hero side, they say some are fixed. This was a perfect compromise regarding point 1, from my perspective. That is why I am very surprised - again - that they do not try to do that from the Villain perspective: having main villain(s) fixed and some freedom regarding goons.
I personnaly can picture said Joker with a rotten squad (or manipulated) of GCPD cops, instead of his legit clowns...

The issue here is not letting players do whatever they want. Of course, it will be the case. It is not even counting on players to twist the game instead of them (whatever the number of scenarii, fans will produce thingS).
It is about correcting mistakes. Therefore my question (to Monolith).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eduardo Guimarães
Brazil
Rio de Janeiro
RJ
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I think you are missing the point of what a scenario is. You can't just toss any miniature on the map with a fixed objective and hope that it will be a balanced scenario, it's not how it works. Impossible to balance it using any miniature that you want. You will already have the overlord vs overlord mode to do that, choose anything you want to play and fight.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
France
Cachan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
And you are missing my whole point: there is plenty of room between a full fixed villain team (which is actual Batman status, which was Conan's before, and which is not the best) and a full open one, which you think is mine (it is not); and is clearly not testable/balancable; and we can taste around OL vs OL, making it a 1 on 1 confrontation game.

I am just arguing for a bit of choice when it comes to villain composition, and I can't find anything that explains the Heroe's flexibility and doesn't apply for Villain's.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rocy7 POL
Poland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
BadKam wrote:
This is not a 100% reskin from Conan. The Overlord (now called Villain) has much more freedom in the way they activate their units and use them.
could you speak more about this aspect? How this fredom look like?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bad Kam
msg tools
mbmb
Rocy7 wrote:
BadKam wrote:
could you speak more about this aspect? How this fredom look like?

In Conan, when activating a tile, you had to move all the minis first, then attack.

In Batman, when activating a tile, you activate each mini separately. For each activated mini, you may: move then perform an action, or perform an action then move.
In the range of actions, you have Melee Attack, Ranged Attack, Manipulation and Thought Actions.
So the Villain can now react to what a mini has done (or failed to do) and take that into account when activating the next mini of that tile
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rocy7 POL
Poland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
BadKam wrote:
In Batman, when activating a tile, you activate each mini separately. For each activated mini, you may: move then perform an action, or perform an action then move.
In the range of actions, you have Melee Attack, Ranged Attack, Manipulation and Thought Actions.
Activating each mini separately is standard in many dungeon cralwer games.

From I see it looks that overlod choices in this game will depend on how many diffrent actions (ability) will have minions.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bad Kam
msg tools
mbmb
Rocy7 wrote:
BadKam wrote:
Activating each mini separately is standard in many dungeon cralwer games.

From I see it looks that overlod choices in this game will depend on how many diffrent actions (ability) will have minions.

I don't think I said the opposite. You asked me this question quoting a part where I speak about the evolutions between the two systems.

In this system freedom of action for the Villain is also given by the full control you get on how you want to spend your energy to activate units at the right time, defending them, buying extra movement, rerolling... all this to fit your strategy.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.