Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Jon Snow
United States
New York City
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Here are a few clarifications noted when first opening the box and checking out the rules. Also here are a couple of fixes for the new Borg Assimilation set you may want to consider, as I am, until we get further FAQ clarification on how the set is to be used.

1. The components list leaves off the tokens on the two cardboard punch out sheets.

They are:

7 Systems Disks: Transwarp Hub, Transwarp Conduit x2, Electrokinetic Cloud (Phenomonon), Paulson Nebula(Phenomonon), Argolis Cluster, Ohniaka.

6 Space Lanes: 2 Large, 2 Medium (including one unique "Wolf 359", 2 Small

8 Borg Activation Tokens
8 Production Tokens
6 Resource Tokens
6 Culture Tokens

2. When the rules note that their are 5 Red Borg Command cards, you'll have to look more carefully to find them; their only red part is the Borg symbol on the Lower Right of the cards.

3. Which Borg Expansion components should/can be used when not using The Borg?

4 System Disks: Electrokinetic Cloud, Paulson Nebula, Argolis Cluster, Ohniaka.

Msc: Space Lanes, Resource Tokens, Resource Nodes (add to General Supply).

4. Which Borg Expansion components should not be used when playing without the Delta Quadrant Connection?

Transwarp Hub system disk (unless using the Optional Rule mixing it into the systems pile), 5 Red Borg Command Cards, 10 Red Exploration Cards.

5. Fixes

While I'm looking forward to the Borg, I'm concerned that they'll over tip the game balance, and totally dominate, rather than just help everyone do some diplomacy with each other. If you've been reading the FAQ and other discussions here so far, you might like me want to add in some modifications. Although normally I'd never do this with rules until played as written, its hard for me to get a 3+ player game together as often as I'd like, and I don't want to waste the opportunity by having the players just gobbled up too quickly. So here is what I am considering myself so far:

A. (From Unofficial Borg Fixes 0.3 by Mattias Elfstrom) Instead of putting the three Borg Systems and Borg Exploration cards under only two 'safe' initial systems or cards per player in their respective pile or deck, place 10 'safe' (no Phenomona systems; and no Borg or red Crisis cards--at least one non Borg Crisis card; Grand Nagus--could prompt a reshuffle) on top of the main part where they are mixed in.

B. My own fix: If any of the three Borg systems (the Transwarp Hub if using the Optional Rule mixing it in, or either of the two Transwarp Conduits) appear within 2 warp systems of a Home Systems, redraw and remix them back into the systems pile.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
taylor hensley
msg tools
I also change how the Borg decide who they target. My Borg target whoever has the most nodes in play. If there is a tie, they target whoever has the most Culture (each Ascendancy counts as 5 culture).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mattias Elfström
Sweden
Unspecified
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
emptyh wrote:
I also change how the Borg decide who they target. My Borg target whoever has the most nodes in play. If there is a tie, they target whoever has the most Culture (each Ascendancy counts as 5 culture).

Interesting. Do you skip the Command deck entirely? Is it the Home system that is the actual Target?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Guy Larocque
Canada
Hamilton
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I found that when the Borg entered play they pretty much only when went after one player and left the others alone. Did you find this happened as well?

emptyh wrote:

This sounds like a reasonable fix. I will try it next time I play.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.