Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Tim K
United States
Palatine
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Can the German use Fog of War to cancel play of a Uranus event? I.e., the Uranus event does not come into play at all. The following thread implies this interpretation:

https://boardgamegeek.com/article/14698908#14698908

That is in fact how my opponent and I played it yesterday. However, upon further reflection Uranus cards are recurring events whose text effect is not triggered when they are brought into play but rather at other times. This suggests to me that FoW may cancel individual implementations of a Uranus card's effects, but not stop it from being brought into play.

Which interpretation is correct? Am I overlooking any fine points about interaction of Uranus cards and FoW cards?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim S.
United States
Maine
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
To me, the governing text on the Fog of War card is the last sentence: "Cancel the card." Thus, when a Uranus card is played for its text effect (as opposed to its Firefight value), and a FoW card is played in reply, the Uranus card is cancelled and immediately discarded. This is supported by the second example given in the Canceling an Action section on rulebook page 5.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim K
United States
Palatine
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
jascps wrote:
To me, the governing text on the Fog of War card is the last sentence: "Cancel the card." Thus, when a Uranus card is played for its text effect (as opposed to its Firefight value), and a FoW card is played in reply, the Uranus card is cancelled and immediately discarded. This is supported by the second example given in the Canceling an Action section on rulebook page 5.

Thanks for your feedback, Jim. I still don't think the situation is clear. When is the Uranus card text effect "played"? When the card is brought into play, or at the instant the effect is to occur? I think the former is very questionable. The example you cite doesn't clarify the issue because it doesn't address this central question.

One-time actions are clearly canceled by Fog of War resulting in discard of the card. Uranus cards can be described to be recurring actions. Discard of a Uranus card normally requires the Germans implement the red text at the bottom of the card.

I'd like to hear other's perspective. Even if what I'm talking about is not the designer's intent one could use my approach for play balance if some think the Germans have a meaningful advantage.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.