Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Dave Berry
Scotland
Edinburgh
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
In 1844, when a company builds a tunnel, does the tunnel have to extend track that connects to one of that company's station markers, or can the company build a tunnel in an unconnected tunnel hex? I had assumed that the tunnel must extend track in the same way as tiles, but I don't see an explicit statement either way in the rules.

To confuse matters further, Helmut's FAQ for the first edition says:

"Q: When I put the FO mountain tiles on, can I build a tunnel under it if connected via the FO without necessarily being connected to the tunnel entrance?
A: YES"

This suggests that the company must be able to trace a route through the target hex but not necessarily to the tunnel itself. The Lookout rules don't mention this.

Can anyone confirm what is the intended rule for the current edition?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Wasserman
United States
Arlington
Virginia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The printed English rule book says "If the director of a company possesses a tunnel construction right, then in addition the company can (according to the normal building rules) build a tunnel on a marked tunnel hex." I think the bolded portion incorporates the requirement that a "tile[] laid must be an extension of track connected to a station market of the company." (It may also be worth recalling that in the original version, a tunnel was represented on a transparent tile, rather than a piece of cardboard.)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave Berry
Scotland
Edinburgh
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
mfwesq wrote:
The printed English rule book says "If the director of a company possesses a tunnel construction right, then in addition the company can (according to the normal building rules) build a tunnel on a marked tunnel hex." I think the bolded portion incorporates the requirement that a "tile[] laid must be an extension of track connected to a station market of the company." (It may also be worth recalling that in the original version, a tunnel was represented on a transparent tile, rather than a piece of cardboard.)

That makes sense. Thanks for pointing out the relevant text.

This leaves unanswered the question about the FAQ on Helmut Ohley's web site. The answer given there would be an exception to the normal building rules. Perhaps someone at Lookout could answer whether this exception is intended to apply to the new edition?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave Berry
Scotland
Edinburgh
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Helmut mailed me to explain the rule, which is indeed as stated on his FAQ. The rule is that a company must be able to trace a route of any length from one of its station markers to a track segment in the hex concerned. This may be via the newly laid tunnel itself, or via the FO tile.

The rule is consistent with the rule for upgrading tiles. In the case of placing a new tile, the company has to reach some of the track on the new tile, not necessarily the new track. The rule for tunnels is basically the same, just with two separate game pieces in the same hex.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.