Chris in Kansai
Japan
Otsu
Shiga
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I just had a great time playing this scenario solo using a single sphere Lore deck plus three Song of Kings to be able to get resources onto Grimbeorn.

The deck cards come from a single core set, plus The Hunt for Gollum and Conflict at the Carrock, of course. It's an easy build as there are 47 Lore cards available plus 3 Gandalfs for 50, then choose 3 to remove and replace with the Song of Kings cards.

The heroes were Glorfindel, Beravor and Denethor.

Denethor was used for scrying throughout, and the strategy was to not worry about threat and just stay on stage 1B until all my allies with attack strength were in play and Grimbeorn had joined the team too.

I'd exhausted my player deck and was at threat 48 when I finally advanced to the Carrock and the 4 trolls engaged me. Gandalf decreased my threat to 43, two Forest Snares took care of Morris and Stuart, and I made sure to kill Louis first so as to only suffer his +6 threat penalty once after he and Rupert attacked.

Gandalf reappeared to reduce threat once more, and the remaining rounds were plenty to quest through the Carrock and for Grimbeorn and friends to make troll paté.

thumbsup
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Owen
United States
Lorton
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
You make it sound easy! It took us four or five tries (two-player) before we beat this scenario.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris in Kansai
Japan
Otsu
Shiga
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I've heard this scenario is much harder multiplayer.

I also tried it with a single sphere spirit deck and failed miserably - there's no card draw or healing, and 2 heroes got sacked and roasted.

Leadership next, I think.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Hitchens
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Chrysm wrote:
I've heard this scenario is much harder multiplayer.

I also tried it with a single sphere spirit deck and failed miserably - there's no card draw or healing, and 2 heroes got sacked and roasted.

Leadership next, I think.

I love this story, but I have to point out a flaw in the playing. Forest Snare is an attachment and thus can only be played during the Planning phase. Therefore, all 4 trolls would have attacked, and your threat would have gone up by 12, forcing you to threat out

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.