Eric Pietrocupo
Canada
Montreal
Quebec
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
This games looks like "Arkham/Eldritch horror" adventure game in a western world.

I am wondering what is the complexity level of this game. Is it playable by non-gamers?

My farther would probably be a great fan of this game, but if it's too complex, he won't be able to play by himself. Sure the French translation could help him.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jacob Williams
United States
Carmel
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
It's a sandbox style game like Xia Legends of a Drift System. It's probably as complex as that.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kira Peavley
msg tools
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Medium-weight. There is a helpful player guide, too!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Burke (The Chubby Meeple)
United States
Noblesville
Indiana
flag msg tools
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
It’s a fairly light-to-medium weight game. You take three actions on your turn from several options. You can move, fight other players (with a straight “high card” wins fight system), and take location actions at various places on the board. I’d recommend taking a look at our how to play video to see what you think. It’s not difficult to learn, but the number of choices you have on your turn can make it feel complex.

https://boardgamegeek.com/video/162281/western-legends/weste...

Ask any questions you may have. Happy to answer anything.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Hervé Lemaître
France
flag msg tools
designer
Hi Eric,

I'm the game designer of the Western Legends and not a "core" gamer, so i think my game is like my game level.
As Mark Said, nothing is complicated in game, but there is many different actions possible.
If you speak french, i will be pleased to answer your questions with more precision in the french thread section i just create.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Pietrocupo
Canada
Montreal
Quebec
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I speak english pretty well. It's just if my father is interested, or if I decide to buy it as a gift for him, he is more likely to understand and teach the rules by himself if it's in French. Also the people he plays with will mostly be french speaking people.

Quote:
It’s not difficult to learn, but the number of choices you have on your turn can make it feel complex

That is the consequence of having an open worlds style game, you need more rules for each option. But it's a good thing, I like having many options, that is what makes the game thematic.

Another thing I was wondering, due to the nature of the mechanics, it could probably be playable solo. Not that it would be challenging, but you could simply wander around the board and try to make the most points. If you are wanted, I imagine there will be nobody to run after you.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Noblesville
Indiana
flag msg tools
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
larienna wrote:
Another thing I was wondering, due to the nature of the mechanics, it could probably be playable solo. Not that it would be challenging, but you could simply wander around the board and try to make the most points. If you are wanted, I imagine there will be nobody to run after you.

Player interaction is incredibly central to the game. Removing that interaction for a solo mode would hollow the experience of the game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan Leonard
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
After watching the how-to-play video, Western Legends looks to be the most accessible open-world/sandbox adventure game I have ever seen, especially when compared to Xia and Merchants & Marauders, which I feel are the best examples currently of sandbox games. Due to the western theme, this is a game I may even introduce to my own father, who is a big fan of old western TV shows, books, and movies.

I think with some bonus/expansion content and a really deep deck of event cards it should have plenty of variety and replay value without added much to the complexity.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Noblesville
Indiana
flag msg tools
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
Lyanheart wrote:
After watching the how-to-play video, Western Legends looks to be the most accessible open-world/sandbox adventure game I have ever seen, especially when compared to Xia and Merchants & Marauders, which I feel are the best examples currently of sandbox games. Due to the western theme, this is a game I may even introduce to my own father, who is a big fan of old western TV shows, books, and movies.

I think with some bonus/expansion content and a really deep deck of event cards it should have plenty of variety and replay value without added much to the complexity.

Thanks for the kind words, Ryan. Looking forward to seeing you over on the campaign page after launch.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.