Willem Verheij
msg tools
mbmb
While I love this game, I hate everything about the packaging pretty much aside from the box art.

Without taking the insert out it's never even possible to store the game or any expansion in it's actual box after you punch out everything and assemble the large miniature in any pack.
And it's always a huge mess unless you invest in small storage boxes or such to put the miniatures and tokens in.

I did buy those things, but never had a game where that was pretty much a requirement because the developer did such a terrible job on the packaging.
Here it does not feel like making things a bit easier for myself but more like I am fixing their mistakes.

And then there's also the blisters for the small expansions that require a knife to open and where you can't even see the miniature before you destroyed the packaging.

Again I do love this game, but this packaging has more things wrong with it than the holiday special.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Devon Crane
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
How much more would you pay for a nice insert and blame thieves for the blister packs?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pasi Ojala
Finland
Tampere
flag msg tools
Get the Imperial Assault Campaign module for Vassal from http://www.vassalengine.org/wiki/Module:Star_Wars:_Imperial_Assault
badge
The next Total Solar Eclipse holiday in 2024 in USA? See you there!
mbmbmbmbmb
You have not seen X-Wing then? whistle

Take the insert out, refold it, and insert back into the box. The end result is 2 nice partitions in the box. This applies to the core box and big-box expansions.

I don't use the core box though. The RtH box takes all the core tiles, a plano box with tokens and dice, two double-deckboxes for cards, etc. Other two plano boxes take painted figures, tiles from other expansions in the Jabba's Realm, a binder with pocketed sheet protectors hold the card decks and normal sheet protectors hold the rulesheet.

Total cost maybe 25 euros.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cracky McCracken
United States
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Throwing out the insert is mandatory with FFG games.

I get trays at Michaels for about 3$ each and tray everything up. (Use trays that have rounded compartments)

All the insert is there to do is get the game into your hands undamaged, after that, you're on your own.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Frank Eisenhauer
India
New Delhi
Delhi
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
You haven't been in the board gaming hobby for long, have you? I remember standardised plastic inserts that didn't even fit the bits that came in the individual games (Queen Games did this for example).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
E Kerr
Ireland
Ulster
flag msg tools
mbmb
a1bert wrote:
a binder with pocketed sheet protectors hold the card decks and normal sheet protectors hold the rulesheet.

What size sheet protectors did you get? The skirmish mission sheets won't fit in the A4 ones I have, they are just slightly too large.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pasi Ojala
Finland
Tampere
flag msg tools
Get the Imperial Assault Campaign module for Vassal from http://www.vassalengine.org/wiki/Module:Star_Wars:_Imperial_Assault
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Kerrzo wrote:
What size sheet protectors did you get? The skirmish mission sheets won't fit in the A4 ones I have, they are just slightly too large.

I reclaimed some from work, but I could try to find out. The outer side is only half closed, and the sheets just fit without room to spare.

The ones holding cards is UltraPro silver 3x3 pockets which I have received from some CCG card purchases from eBay.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Magnus Rydin
Sweden
Helsingborg
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Cracky wrote:
I get trays at Michaels for about 3$ each and tray everything up. (Use trays that have rounded compartments)

Can you show a picture of these trays? Don't think I've heard of them before.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jesse Rasmussen
United States
Bend
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I would love to see a picture of both storage solutions! In fact, I would love seeing any storage solutions people have found to see what works.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Derry Salewski
United States
Augusta
Maine
flag msg tools
badge
I'm only happy when it rains...
mbmbmbmbmb
It's designed to protect your game during shipping. That's it.

How broken was your game when it arrived?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Willem Verheij
msg tools
mbmb
The game was fine when I bought it from a store.

Same goes for every other board game I own however. I don't have a huge collection, Imperial Assault is still my only FFG game.
Space is limited and I've only been really getting into it since Tabletop.

While the standard storage option provided is not always ideal by other developers either, they at least offer something passable. It's at least something.

Of course it can't all be perfect like Lords of Waterdeep, especially not with miniatures but I am just saying that something is better than nothing.

And I do have other games with miniatures and many components.

The other games I have are:
-Fortune and Glory + treasure hunters and the card packs.
-A touch of Evil + everything available for it.
-Lords of Waterdeep
-Stone Age
-Dungeons and Dragons. (old game)
-Cyclades + Hades
-Atlantis
-Labyrinth.

Fortune and Glory features many components and storage is there for everything but the punch out tokens which is easily fixed with simple plastic bags.
I have one for the most used tokens and one for those that are only used when playing against an evil organisation.
If I wish I could find a better way of storing the game, but for me this works well enough. The developer did their job with it.

For a Touch of Evil I did get a plastic box with many compartments to store all the tokens because it has a lot of them, especially finding the right minion tokens for each villain can be troublesome.
But still, thats just the tokens. The boxes work fine for storing everything else.
And initially I did resort to a few plastic bags which worked, but wasnt ideal.

In the end though, the less money I have to spend on storage solutions, the more I can spend on new board games.
I prefer not to have to worry about it at all, and to me it is part of game design to provide proper storage for it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brad Gravett
United States
Savannah
Georgia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Lords of Waterdeep may be the zenith of production and presentation. Not only are all the components beautiful and thematic, but the box holds them all superbly (without the expansion). It's a pleasure to set up and re-box.

Anyway, yeah, IA is annoying. I agree with your points, but allow me to try to assuage your frustration.

Often packaging is made with production, shipping and retail in mind just as much as the consumer. The insert makes sure that the game can be stored and moved halfway around the world en masse without damaging the component internals too much - not to make the game easy for the consumer to store. The blisters are tough to open to deter theft and lossage.

It's like how a bag of potato chips is half or more air. It's easy to be pessimistic and cynical and think that the producer is trying to fool people with larger packages, but the simpler and more banal reason is because it protects the chips from being broken and crunched while in shipping.

The extreme number and variety of components in IA make organizing it a challenge for anyone, including FFG. It's not anyone's fault, it's just the nature of the dungeon crawlers.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pasi Ojala
Finland
Tampere
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Kerrzo wrote:

Probably these: http://www.esselte.com/en-nu/products/filing---archiving/poc...

They are still a tight fit, so I can no longer store all of the sheets in a single one. One holds the ally missions, another the agenda missions, and a third one the grey side missions.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thaddeus MacTaggart
Netherlands
Almere Buiten
Flevoland
flag msg tools
badge
Blood Rage fan - Raven Clan - FOR THE GLORY!
mbmbmbmbmb
a1bert wrote:
Kerrzo wrote:

They are still a tight fit, so I can no longer store all of the sheets in a single one. One holds the ally missions, another the agenda missions, and a third one the grey side missions.

Yes it's annoying. Those sheets are a North American letter format that is not in use in the ROW. If you search for 216mm x 279mm sheet protectors or something similar you should be able to find something useful.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Martyn French
United Kingdom
Coalville
Leics
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The postman has delivered a pack of foamcore board today, as I was similarly appalled by the inadequate box insert in IA and will make up some box inserts myself (probably the one from Vidager found in the Files section here on BGG). The IA insert is practically identical to LOTR:LCG in design despite being a completely different game. FFG make some beautiful games with great components but clearly skimp on the interior box design (better that way than the other way around though).

I don't have many FFG games, but the worst insert I have is with World of Warcraft. You don't get a single plastic bag for all the hundreds of tokens after you punch them out! shake (Unless you count the plastic wrap that went around the token boards?)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
E Kerr
Ireland
Ulster
flag msg tools
mbmb
a1bert wrote:
Kerrzo wrote:

Great, thanks Pasi!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thomas with Subtrendy
msg tools
mbmbmb
First, as many have said, you have to remove that insert. It's more for shipping, than anything.

What I've done is this- all small units go into a plastic storage container (sew box type of things). I have three right now, one for each faction.

Large units and ones that wouldn't fit into the sewing box (Gaarkhan and Jet troopers) go into a large foam lines case.

Tokens have their own, smaller tackle box.

The core set box houses all of my expansion tiles. Each expansion gets a big gallon bag, and a smaller bag for the tiles that are 2x2 and smaller to go into. This makes it pretty easy to sort through tiles before a mission.

The Heart of the Empire Box houses my Core tiles. Again, same situation with a big bag full of the large tiles, and a small bag inside that one that houses the smaller tiles.

Jabba's Realm box houses my current campaign assets- mission cards, rewards, hero sheets, hero upgrades (what they have earned and what they haven't yet) items, Round dial, etc.

The smallest box (The Bespin Gambit) is for all other components currently not in use for the campaign. Stuff like non-used hero sheets, other campaign missions, non-chosen side missions, skirmish cards, etc. That way, I generally don't have to even open this box outside of setting up a campaign.

It took a while (and I spent a lot of time with far inferior storage methods) but I really like what I have now. Can usually get a table fully set up in 5-10 minutes.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Willem Verheij
msg tools
mbmb
I went with those same kind of storage containers, I have four currently. Mine probably have larger compartments, three have eight compartments and one has a few more and some larger ones too.

One for each faction and one for tokens.
I have those exact same expansions too for it, still keeping all the tiles in their own box for now. Might solve that later but for now it works, the large miniatures are in plastic bags in the main box.
Those of the expansions don't even fit in their own box assembled.

Got spoiled again the other day though, my mythic battles phanteon kickstarter arrived. My pledge came with 159 high quality miniatures.
All fitting snug in plastic inserts, not a single defect. Only saw about 5 figures total that either stood at a slight angle or had a slightly bent weapon.
After popping out all the tokens and dashboards, I could fit all of it back in their own boxes. Even managed to store the extra board that came in a plain cardboard packaging (with bubblewrap on the inside) inside of the core box.
And that is without removing all the french cards and books from the boxes which should clear up some space as well.

It does make the boxes notably bigger than the imperial assault boxes though, especially for the big box expansions.
On the other hand they do feature more larger miniatures and large boards that take up quite some space when folded.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.