Recommend
 
 Thumb up
 Hide
16 Posts

Coup» Forums » Rules

Subject: can I block an action if I am not involved in the action rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Flavio Noboru
msg tools
For example, player A says he is assassinating player B with the assassin, can a player C block with the condessa?
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pasi Ojala
Finland
Tampere
flag msg tools
Get the Imperial Assault Campaign module for Vassal from http://www.vassalengine.org/wiki/Module:Star_Wars:_Imperial_Assault
badge
The next Total Solar Eclipse holiday in 2024 in USA? See you there!
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
No. Other players can prevent assassination only by disputing the Assassin claim, but then their head is on the block.

Foreign Aid is something any player can block (by claiming Duke).
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Harris Tsagas
Greece
Preveza
flag msg tools
designer
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Exactly. As you can see at Coup's bgg main page
here "Contessa: Block an assassination attempt against yourself.".
And as
Pasi Ojala
Finland
Tampere
flag msg tools
Get the Imperial Assault Campaign module for Vassal from http://www.vassalengine.org/wiki/Module:Star_Wars:_Imperial_Assault
badge
The next Total Solar Eclipse holiday in 2024 in USA? See you there!
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
said, you can take your risk as player "c" by disputing the Assassin. But if the other player is really the Assassin you lose one card. If not, the player who claimed to have the Assassin loses one card.
So, you can take the risk and dispute as player "c", but definetely not block.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Flavio Noboru
msg tools
Thanks, I have some more doubts, I have the portuguese version, and it came without the rules booklet, so I am reading here at BGG:

a- If I use the ambassador, do I discard the two cards face up or face down?

b - when I use the assassin and someone dispute the assassin and I don´t have the assassin do I lose the 3 coins?

c - For example I have the duke, I use the duke to take the 3 coins, and someone dispute the duke, I show the card, can I stay with the duke, or I must exchange the card?
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Karan R
India
Mumbai
flag msg tools
It's Karan, not Karen!
badge
*Nyan*
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
1. Down
2. Yes
3. Exchange
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Harris Tsagas
Greece
Preveza
flag msg tools
designer
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
fnhara wrote:


a- If I use the ambassador, do I discard the two cards face up or face down?



Basically, you don' discard the cards building a discard pile but you put them faced down at the bottom of the deck.

fnhara wrote:

b - when I use the assassin and someone dispute the assassin and I don´t have the assassin do I lose the 3 coins?

bradyjns wrote:
Rikki wrote:
So re the question of the assassin getting their money back:
a) if the assassin is successfully challenged (as the player never had the assassin) the action never took place. The whole action is unwound and the money is returned.
b) If the assassin is not challenged but is instead blocked by the victim's Contessa, The sequence as above is - the action took place (including the fee being paid). The victim then launched a counter-action which had the successful effect of saving their influence.
That was a question that repeatedly came up in playtesting so I specifically included the example in the rules to clarify it.

fnhara wrote:

c - For example I have the duke, I use the duke to take the 3 coins, and someone dispute the duke, I show the card, can I stay with the duke, or I must exchange the card?

You return the Duke in the deck and then you shuffle it, but you can not keep him. However it is possible to receive him again and
marcusround wrote:


Note, you must shuffle the deck after doing this.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marcus Round
Australia
flag msg tools
harrisluigi wrote:
Basically, you don' discard the cards building a discard pile but you put them Facebook down at the bottom of the deck.


Note, you must shuffle the deck after doing this.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Harris Tsagas
Greece
Preveza
flag msg tools
designer
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
marcusround wrote:
harrisluigi wrote:
Basically, you don' discard the cards building a discard pile but you put them Facebook down at the bottom of the deck.


Note, you must shuffle the deck after doing this.

Exactly! I missed that!
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brady Jones
United States
Vancouver
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
harrisluigi wrote:
fnhara wrote:
b - when I use the assassin and someone dispute the assassin and I don´t have the assassin do I lose the 3 coins?
Yes, you lose the coin as the Row is that you claim the Assassin, you pay for his action and then disputing procedure happens.

False. From the rules:
Quote:
If an action is successfully challenged the entire action fails, and any coins paid as the cost of the action are returned to the player.
From the action flowchart (pdf file here on bgg), and corroborated by the game's designer multiple times within these forums, the intention seems to be that the payment is made after any challenge is resolved (but before any counter-action is declared). Hence the payment is not refunded when the Contessa is claimed -- which is certainly the scenario you're thinking of?
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Harris Tsagas
Greece
Preveza
flag msg tools
designer
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
You are wrong.
I have the game with the officisl rules and it says
"When the assassination fails, the 3 coin are not returned to the player."
I believe official rules are much stronger than bgg pdf files.
I could upload a photo from the rules but they are in Greek language
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brady Jones
United States
Vancouver
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Bruh? The quote I included above was taken directly from page 5 of the English rules sitting right in front of me, from the edition of Coup that is pictured in the current thumbnail here on bgg.

I can understand if you've played a lot of Coup and you think I'm bluffing.
Asked and answered here: Boom
Also, straight from the designer: Kaboom (with highlights added below)
Rikki wrote:
So re the question of the assassin getting their money back:
a) if the assassin is successfully challenged (as the player never had the assassin) the action never took place. The whole action is unwound and the money is returned.
b) If the assassin is not challenged but is instead blocked by the victim's Contessa, The sequence as above is - the action took place (including the fee being paid). The victim then launched a counter-action which had the successful effect of saving their influence.
That was a question that repeatedly came up in playtesting so I specifically included the example in the rules to clarify it.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Harris Tsagas
Greece
Preveza
flag msg tools
designer
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
bradyjns wrote:

I can understand if you've played a lot of Coup and you think I'm bluffing.



This situation in Greek rules is pretty clear. Furthermore the same happens in Coup's official app. I will upload the picture from my rules.

 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Harris Tsagas
Greece
Preveza
flag msg tools
designer
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb

 

I will help with the translation...
"Chris claims he have Baby Face Slim(Assassin), he pays three coins to the Bank and challenges Xenia. Nobody disputes with the Assassin, but Xenia claims she has Sweet Vilma(Contessa) who blocks the Assassin. Nobody disputes with her, so the assassination fails . The 3 coins that Chris paid to the back are not returned to him, so now he has only 2 coins."

However I have my doubts in case anything has changed from one version to another, which is pretty possible.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Hall
United States
Ohio
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
harrisluigi wrote:

 

I will help with the translation...
"Chris claims he have Baby Face Slim(Assassin), he pays three coins to the Bank and challenges Xenia. Nobody disputes with the Assassin, but Xenia claims she has Sweet Vilma(Contessa) who blocks the Assassin. Nobody disputes with her, so the assassination fails . The 3 coins that Chris paid to the back are not returned to him, so now he has only 2 coins."

However I have my doubts in case anything has changed from one version to another, which is pretty possible.


That covers the assassin being blocked by the contessa. That's not the same as the assassin being successfully challenged if the player doesn't actually have the assassin.
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Neil Logan
Scotland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Think of it this way; if the assassin is challenged and the player claiming to use him does not have the assassin, their move was illegal. They cannot do anything relating to that action. The 3 coins are returned as there was no assassin to pay to kill someone, and the player claiming to have the assassin loses an influence as they got caught lying.

However, if the assassin was blocked (not challenged), he still attempted to assassinate someone, so still needs to get paid. Therefore the 3 coins are not returned.
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Harris Tsagas
Greece
Preveza
flag msg tools
designer
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Ok. You conviced me. I edit my initial post quoting Rikki's comment. I think this is the final answer.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.