Great Western Trail» Forums » Rules

Subject: I dont understand this game rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
verrey matthieu
msg tools
mb
robot

I jst bought this game , because i love the video and the mechanism...but when i read the rules ...i just dont understand the half of it!! You need to search in the entire book for each actions ! How many action do you take in a house ? does the 2 action count in your movement count ?? must i sell cow in my turn ? only in Kansas city ?? First time i play , i get in solo...and sell my cow each turn...and after the game i read once and i saw you can only sell in KC.....so am i the only one to have the same problem or was it a new rulebook in wich the action summary are clear ??

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michele Nicastro
Netherlands
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
the rulebook is pretty good imho, so i would say either you are not used to learn these kind of games, the rulebook is in a language you are not super fluent in or written rules are just not the optimal way to learn for you. Each one of these options is perfectly fine! fortunately there are other ways to learn games, especially the popular ones!

I would suggest you to watch the Heavy Cardboard video about this game, they teach the game in ~25 minutes (and then they play it, so you can get a good idea of how it works): https://youtu.be/k7jSgtFfErg

Another option of really excellent video is the one from JonGetsGames where he plays the game introducing the rules while doing it: https://youtu.be/vwMGtL4rKCs

good luck with learning this game, it is great!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Cox
United Kingdom
Bicester
flag msg tools
BOO!
badge
I do really love fun!
mbmbmbmbmb
Usul68 wrote:
robot

I jst bought this game , because i love the video and the mechanism...but when i read the rules ...i just dont understand the half of it!! You need to search in the entire book for each actions ! How many action do you take in a house ? does the 2 action count in your movement count ?? must i sell cow in my turn ? only in Kansas city ?? First time i play , i get in solo...and sell my cow each turn...and after the game i read once and i saw you can only sell in KC.....so am i the only one to have the same problem or was it a new rulebook in wich the action summary are clear ??

Have you checked on youtube as there are lots of playthroughs that will help you learn the rules. For example:

Watching a few helped me understand all of the rules but teaching it was hard to do.

I will try to answer some of your queries:

When you land on a building, if it is neutral or your own, you can do all of the actions on there. If there are two options separated by a slash then you must choose one or the other. If it is another player's building then you can only do a single auxiliary action.

Movement and actions are separate. You can move your entire movement and then do all building actions.

You only "sell" cows at Kansas city. Buildings just discard cows for money. This helps you cycle through your deck and get rid of duplicates but like all actions these are optional.

I hope that helps!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Georg Wolgast
Sweden
Lund
Skåne
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
This game has my favourite rule book of any game I've ever read, and I'm the default rules teacher for my gaming group. That said, I have read a lot of rulebooks and like medium-heavy game and may therefore be used to certain things. Still, I'm curious to hear what you had problems with? I agree with the above posters, those videos seem great for learning the game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brijesh Kartha
India
Pune
Maharashtra
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I think the rulebook is good, but you need to play one game and then go through it again to get it perfect. In our group after playing the first game we realized we had made mistakes, especially around filling the market. Having gone through the game once we were able to iron out the various aspects and next time onwards it was a breeze to play.

I would suggest 3 players in the first game as it seems to hit most points require while at the same time being a fast and relaxed game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Annemarie Post
Netherlands
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I didn’t understand it either without the game in front of me. So my first advice would be to put the game in front of you when you’re reading the rules.

When explaining the game to new players, I always first want them to understand the Kansas City action (pages 7-9 in the rulebook), so that you know what you’re all doing it for. Then try to understand how a turn works (pages 6, 7 and 10 in the rulebook, skip the Kansas city part this time). Then try and understand the actions (pages 10-14).

Good luck!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christopher Hayashida
United States
Los Angeles
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Usul68 wrote:
robot

The basics are:

* Move your cowboy 1, 2, or 3 spaces
* Take the actions on the tile you land on, in any order
* Refill your hand to 4

They're listed as A, B, and C on the top of the player board.

When you get to Kansas City, you sell your cattle and deliver it to one of the stations. As you remove more disks from your player board, you uncover more abilities that let you do more things on your turn.

I downloaded the PDF rulebook when I was thinking about buying this game. It was really hard for me to understand. After I read the rulebook, I watched the Jon Gets Games Full Playthrough video that Richard mentioned. Watching this video after reading the rules once helped me understand the game well enough to teach it to my group.

Anyway, I hope this gets you started.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
♬♪♪ ♫ ♩ ♫♫♪ ♩♬♪ ♫
Australia
MURRUMBEENA
Victoria
flag msg tools
badge
All reality is a game. Physics at its most fundamental, the very fabric of our universe, results directly from the interaction of certain fairly simple rules, and chance... (Iain Banks)
mbmbmbmbmb
I have 54 plays of GWT, and I give the rulebook 3/5 stars. Everything is there, but not in a sensible order, and the page layout makes some details hard to find.

Watch the videos linked previously, or find an experienced teacher. GWT is an absolutely fantastic game, truly worth the effort.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
verrey matthieu
msg tools
mb
robot...hum first i got the game in french whos my mother tongue!! Second thing...first time i read the book ..i totally dont understand half of actions or the time you should do it ; how many time can i move ? 3 write ...some videos tell me 3...some 4...but what is a move ? go to a case and making actions ? or just go to a certain number of case ??3/ after go in a case/building i must read the entire book just for knowing how to resolve a simple building actions...not Play summary no player aid card..nothing !!...was writen 40 minute /player...it take me 3 hours to make a game ...and just see i got all wrong !!!angrygulp

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jan
Austria
Vienna
flag msg tools
mbmb
How many spaces you can move depends on player count, so naturally in some videos number of spaces moved differ. It's not only in the rulebook, there is even a tile that you put on your player mat to indicate how many spaces you can move in any given set up. So that should be quite clearly indicated by rules and components.

I had a hard time with the rulebook, too. I don't like the layout and some rules that interconect aren't well explained. However, there are a lot of examples and if you take your time to read them the rules are quite easy to understand most of the time.

If you teach the game to new players I would start with every player in KC. Start with you going through the motions in KC and then make them go through every step in KC on their own when it's their turn. Then just keep on playing. The game will be a little shorter that way but it's really important to make them understand what they are meant to do on the way to KC.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthias Mahr
Austria
flag msg tools
Life Ain't No Zombiefarm
mbmbmbmbmb
I echo, that it is absolute critical to set up the game, if you want to learn it by the rule book. Just reading a pdf, or even the printed rules without having the playing material in front of you, is just not enough to understand.

Make yourself familiar with the components and studying them durring reading the rules. First focus should be on the top row of the player boards, where the main turn phases A, B, and C ale laid out. A differs with player count, that's why you cover the space with a special tile, if you play a 3 or 4 player game. But important is, that A is your movement (you must always move at least one space), B are your actions (depending on your location you must do 1-5 in KC (3rd row of the B-space), you can either do one or several of the available location actions on one of your own or a neutral building (or else take a single auxiliary action (first row of the B-space), if you prefer), finally you can only take a i]single[/i] auxiliary action on any other space (buildings of other colour, hazard tiles or tepees). Last part of your turn is always C: drawing up to hand limit, in case you discarded a card. You always have to do your turn in this sequence.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
verrey matthieu
msg tools
mb
Ah yeap at least a good spirit answer =) ...that a good idea , got a big question some rules are really unclear for me , how do the railway work exactly..i sell a 12 valour cows ok...and a 15 the next one...18 at the third....and new 12 at 4th...what should i do ? must i go back to the nearest "12" city ?? and why having a 39 box railways ?? how can you got the 39 case ?and how can you build a 7/building ?? some thing like that ...you know

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gerritjan Roubos
Netherlands
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Or this one in French?
https://www.boardgamegeek.com/video/130386/great-western-tra...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jay M
United States
Greenville
South Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
You should probably ask one or two questions at a time. The scatter-shot of questions reveals you are fundamentally failing to understand the rulebook, so anyone answering doesn't really know where to start.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthias Mahr
Austria
flag msg tools
Life Ain't No Zombiefarm
mbmbmbmbmb
You advance the railway basically for two (or three) different purposes. Number one is, to make your deliveries cheaper. For that reason alone, there is no benefit to advance it beyond the 18 space. You can always deliver further down the rail based on the certificate value of your heard, even if your train is still in KC, but you will have to pay money to the bank, based on the amount of red crosses in front of you. Think off, you have expanded your railway up to a point, but have to pay somebody else (not another player!) to deliver further up the rail. And yes, except Kansas City and San Francisco, you can deliver to each city only once, but all players can deliver to them once. So, if you can't reach SF with a value of 18, you are often forced to take a lower delivery then what you could have reached. (But you will still get all the money from the delivery, minus fees for red crosses of course.)

Second main reason to advance your railway is making points by building railway stations. There are some juicy spots with excellent points to bucks exchange rates down the line. It's not likely to happen in the first game, but with experience you will find ways to get that far. Main thing you need for it are a lot of purple guys, because there are action spaces on neutral buildings C & G (and private building 5a) which can let you move the train up to 6 spaces, once you have maxed them out.

Third reason, merging in with the second, would be to get the station master tiles. They are very useful, although they come with the price of removing a worker from your display and sit in the stations with the worst point to buck ratio. (You have to build the station to put a master, but then again, you also gain another ability by removing a disc from your player board!)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.