Recommend
 
 Thumb up
 Hide
9 Posts

Shadows of Brimstone: Swamps of Death» Forums » Rules

Subject: Combining cards rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Tom Manning
United States
North Carolina
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi,
Have ancients....awaiting Swamps...would it be a better gaming experience to combine various components contained in both games..or would that be a bit of an overkill and not add anything at all.?thanks.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rob Chase
United States
Akron
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
You should definitely combine things!

However, don't combine the Loot and Scavenge decks - these are shuffled with each use and combining can make for unpleasant swings in fortune. (The cards in the two core sets are the same, so just choose one set.)
Also, unless you like lots of boring passages in your adventures, I recommend only adding one set's worth of passage cards to the mine deck.

Everything else can be combined.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom Manning
United States
North Carolina
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Rob,
Thanks....will follow your advice...
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Carsten BN
msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
From the official faq

When Combining Two Core Sets, What Do I Mix Together and What Do I Leave Out?
The intent is that virtually all of the components from multiple different Core Sets can simply be combined together.
The only three elements that we recommend you NOT mix together are the Loot deck, Scavenge deck, and the Exploration Tokens.
These CAN be mixed together if you like, to give you a double-sized deck/stack of each, but all that really does is give you a lot more potential for swings of luck (for better or worse) when drawing from those decks/stacks.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christofer Andersson
Sweden
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Monky7 wrote:

Also, unless you like lots of boring passages in your adventures, I recommend only adding one set's worth of passage cards to the mine deck.


I would recommend against this suggestion. The game is to easy most of the time and the balance between passages and other map tile cards is an important factor to make the game harder.
However, I do not mix all the mine cards together. Instead, I use 1 set of passages, 4 random map cards, and 8 random specific map cards. By doing this you won’t be unlucky and draw 12 passages in a row but you still get to experience al the map tiles you own.
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom Manning
United States
North Carolina
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Interesting responses.....thanks all...and keep em coming,please!
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rob Keetlaer
Netherlands
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Koftan wrote:
(...) I do not mix all the mine cards together. Instead, I use 1 set of passages, 4 random map cards, and 8 random specific map cards. By doing this you won’t be unlucky and draw 12 passages in a row but you still get to experience al the map tiles you own.

And if you prepare your whole Mine Map deck like this, the ratio of passages/standard rooms/expansion specific rooms remains the same.
You can then simply put the discards back under the deck (reversed!), so that you only have to prepare the deck again (in the same way) when you get the first "open" card.
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christofer Andersson
Sweden
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
RobKeet wrote:
Koftan wrote:
(...) I do not mix all the mine cards together. Instead, I use 1 set of passages, 4 random map cards, and 8 random specific map cards. By doing this you won’t be unlucky and draw 12 passages in a row but you still get to experience al the map tiles you own.

And if you prepare your whole Mine Map deck like this, the ratio of passages/standard rooms/expansion specific rooms remains the same.
You can then simply put the discards back under the deck (reversed!), so that you only have to prepare the deck again (in the same way) when you get the first "open" card.


Smart this is something new I will start doing.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom Manning
United States
North Carolina
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Since I have no intention of selling the game in the future,what I intend to do is go thru the map cards and the map tiles themselves,marking each with a subtle corresponding number..Will also keep them secured in separate piles of 5 each..I’m hoping this will cut down on the frustration of having to sift through a ton of tiles to match the pulled card.Of course,closed end caps will be kept separately as well.I feel this should have been done by the publisher...however,
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.