Lola S
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
So I play lots of mid-weight and heavy games but I just haven't got around to Castles of Burgundy for some reason. Maybe it's the icons putting me off. Come to think of it several icon heavy games are languishing in my collection. I also received this card game in a math trade.

I have seen people call this a lighter version of the main course that is unsatisfying if you have played the full game.

Would experience playing this game help myself and my regular group learn Castles of Burgundy? How much do you think it would help?

I am sure I will get around to CoB sometime with or without this as a warm up but I am just curious if the trade item will come in useful this way.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ori Avtalion
Israel
flag msg tools
This game won't help your experience learning Castles of Burgundy any easier. The concepts that are common between the games aren't that hard to learn.

And if you go into learning CoB expecting things will be like the dice game, you'll have a tougher time. The dice, for example, work very differently.

Get a good teacher to teach you the game if you're that worried about it It's a great game and you should at least try it.

EDIT: This answer was comparing the board game with the DICE game, not the CARD game. Sorry.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Honey
Australia
Lismore
NSW
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
lolas wrote:
So I play lots of mid-weight and heavy games but I just haven't got around to Castles of Burgundy for some reason. Maybe it's the icons putting me off. Come to think of it several icon heavy games are languishing in my collection. I also received this card game in a math trade.

I have seen people call this a lighter version of the main course that is unsatisfying if you have played the full game.

Would experience playing this game help myself and my regular group learn Castles of Burgundy? How much do you think it would help?

I am sure I will get around to CoB sometime with or without this as a warm up but I am just curious if the trade item will come in useful this way.

In my experience the card game is less intuitive and less understandable than the real CoB. It is meant to be a compact version, but takes up nearly the same table space too.

I also don't think anyone would pick up the card game, play it and think, "wow, this is a great game" without the experience of CoB behind them. The success and appreciation of the card game is in my opinion a direct result of the real Castles of Burgundy. If this were "Provinces of Tuscany, the Card Game", i doubt it would be nearly as successful or well received.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ori Avtalion
Israel
flag msg tools
Oh dang, I missed the game this was posted under. I was answering for the DICE game

The card game is closer to the board game, but I still think it will be confusing, and I agree with Chris that the board game will be easier to learn.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lola S
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for the input so far.

Since I already own both games and there is no hurry to get either of them played I am not really worried about which is the better game. I am just curious in this thread about any commonalities in the learning process.

I do plan to try this experiment so I will be able to give some feedback myself.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
L D
msg tools
mb
napsyd wrote:

In my experience the card game is less intuitive and less understandable than the real CoB. It is meant to be a compact version, but takes up nearly the same table space too.

I also don't think anyone would pick up the card game, play it and think, "wow, this is a great game" without the experience of CoB behind them. The success and appreciation of the card game is in my opinion a direct result of the real Castles of Burgundy. If this were "Provinces of Tuscany, the Card Game", i doubt it would be nearly as successful or well received.
The last paragraph is me. I've never played CoB proper and I picked up the card game because I saw a solo playthrough of it and it seemed interesting (and I need to diversify my collection). Also, it being cheap was a nice bonus, and I love cards. I'm a solo gamer for the most part, so official solo rules are important to me, which the other CoB's don't have.

I played the game back-to-back about five or six times, getting better each time but ultimately still losing to the AI. I find it to be a very fun experience, and that's without knowing much about the original game.

I'm probably an outlier, though. I also got my intro to Pandemic via pandemic: The Cure and feel no rush to play Pandemic proper because I love the dice version so much. Solo (and soloable co-ops), Cards, Dice, and reasonable table footprints are instant "Oooh" markers for me. I had read this would take up a lot of space, and it's true--but thankfully I can manage to fit it on my table just fine.

I looked at the dice version first but saw it was roll-and-write, which I'm not terribly fond of, and there were no official solo rules for it. I'm sure there are solo variants but the roll-and-write put me off from that version.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ori Avtalion
Israel
flag msg tools
dragonlife wrote:
I looked at the dice version first but saw it was roll-and-write, which I'm not terribly fond of, and there were no official solo rules for it.

There are official solo rules right in the box...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
L D
msg tools
mb
SaltyHorse wrote:
dragonlife wrote:
I looked at the dice version first but saw it was roll-and-write, which I'm not terribly fond of, and there were no official solo rules for it.

There are official solo rules right in the box...
Oh, you're absolutely right. I must have thought about the base game twice. I definitely checked the dice version's page. Brainfart on my part.

Anyway, my point still stands: roll 'n write is what made me decide against it, but maybe I'll give it a shot one day (but I'll probably go for a different game. Again, to diversify my collection). I feel like I'd want to laminate the player sheets to be efficient.

There's a psychological barrier with me and seeing a game that has player sheets you write on and then throw away. I'm already sweating at the thought...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.