Subject: Dutch style Auctioning rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Alfred Das
Netherlands
Noord-Brabant
flag msg tools
mb
I use a Dutch auction instead of the regular English auctioning method as described in the rules where a bid starts low and is incremented by a set amount until a single winning bidder is left.
A typical Dutch auction starts high and decreases the value using a clock until someone stops the clock winning the lot at the indicated amount.
See: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dutch_auction

An auction-clock or a bell could be used in Monopoly of course, but we decided to go English in case of a tie to minimize "I was first" discussions. This of course also allows the price to go above the default Property value.

For Monopoly Here & Now World Edition, it goes like this:

A player becomes the auctioneer when landing on an unsold property and deciding against buying it. He/she calls "Auction" and the starting price, which is the default Property value. The Visitor fee is used as the reserve.
If nobody says "I/Aye" the auctioneer keeps decreasing the price by M20, each time calling out a lower amount until one or more bidders accept the price. If two or more bidders are tied, the auctioneer now starts increasing the price by M20 until a single winning bidder is left.
No more bids are accepted when the auctioneer calls "sold". A minimal amount of time should be observed between calls or the first "Aye" and "Sold", at the auctioneer's discretion.
If the property isn't sold at the reserve price, it remains on the board and play continues.

NOTE: In a 4-player game, the buying is usually more frantic and bids tend to go up rather than down.

A Dutch Auction clock as used in the game Merchants of Amsterdam

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.