Istanbul: Mocha & Baksheesh» Forums » General

Subject: Is this expansion an improvement for 2 player? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Bryan Milligan
United States
Illinois
flag msg tools
My wife and I have played the base game a half dozen times. Early on we acquire a couple of rubies from tiles such as the Wainwright but afterwards build up a lot of cash and then just make repeated visits to the Gemstone dealer to take the win. Does this expansion make cash harder to come by or offer strategies to counter the Gemstone dealer rush?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jérôme
Netherlands
Eindhoven
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
In my opinion the first expansion completes the game, simply by adding coffee to the mix. We play it 2p only and and our appreciation has grown significantly since Mocca.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Victor Aldridge
United States
Terre Haute
Indiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I haven't seen a single situation where I didn't appreciate having added the expansion.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Atnier Rodriguez
United States
Monroe
Connecticut
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
We love this game and it is even better wih the first expansion. The second one, with the letters and seals pushes the game a bit to close to the brink of needed complexity, so only try it after playing with Mocha and Baksheesh a bunch of times.

Get Mocha and Baksheesh, that’s my recommendation.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ken Sinn
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmb
Agree with everyone else here in that this expansion adding a 5th resource (and expanding the board size) changes/adds to the meta, as you now have additional sources/paths to gems.

The subsequent expansion we also love, but we're also heavier gamers -- playing with both expansions gives us a thinkier game, since the board becomes 5x5 and gets far more complicated to make "paths/cycles".

Mokka first, then Letters/Seals if you still love the game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.