Hide
1 Posts

Noblemen» Forums » General

Subject: Design problem rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Pedro Fori
msg tools
I like the game's look and high production value. The double sided rules help cards tell you that this is not a simple game, but that is still OK.

But inside the round counter, the design and naming is misleading. They are called decades, indicating you will have 10 rounds (well less because the queen moves around.) But the 2 Masquarades and 1 Scoring tile makes it actually 7 rounds, because on those tiles there is no actual play, just scoring. Now if you add the queen's random movement shortening the decades, you actually can have 5-6 playing rounds instead of, well a decade means 10. So you are planning for 10 and play actual almost half, most of it by design, not because the queen moved a lot.

What they should have done:

1. Don't call it a decade but years (or whatever), so it isn't misleading. 7 years per replenishment.

or

2. Make it an actual 10 rounds and have the Masks and the Tent icons in between the tiles (and playing rounds) taking place. That way the game is longer but players have more time/rounds to enact their plans.

Again, at first look and count you would think you will have 3x10 rounds and you actually play (3x7)-(queen shortening the game)= max. 21 rounds.

The speeding up the game is specially obvious at the end around the "No Queen's Movement" tile, before that a Masquarade, after that a Scoring tent both of them without play.

I guess players could just opt for an actual playing round taking place in all of those 3 icons' places....

During the game I always felt I don't have enough time to play out my strategy. I know, this affects every other players, but still.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.