Subject: retail availiblility rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Duo Maxwell
United States
Antioch
Tennessee
flag msg tools
So I read a post on this board (forgot where it was) that says theres like 2000 copies going out to retail, and Issac Childress supposedly said IF this does sell out there will be ANOTHER reprint most likely through KS (now this is what a poster claims Issac Childress said, and not Issac himself saying it). However wouldn't that contradict his newsletter that states Retail is launching near the end of this mo nth and they made MORE then enough prints that selling out wont be an issue this time, thus EVERYONE soul have no problem getting it?

Also if there is "more than enough" they why are online retailers "out o stock" if theres gonna be "more than enough" shouldnt they keep taking pre orders til launch? "Out of Stock" signifies theres a limited number of stock coming in thus "out of stock" and unable to find it for pre order at ANY retailer suggest that theres "limited quantity" which is a direct contradiction to "more than enough copies". Right?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Hatfield
United States
Mt. Vernon
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
HoHo's are better than Twinkies.

Definitely.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Duo Maxwell
United States
Antioch
Tennessee
flag msg tools
congratulations, youve succeeded in adding nothing of relevance, to the topic at hand.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Magnus Magnissimus Maximus
Norway
Tønsberg
Vestfold
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I think that number is from the first Kickstarter where the game was way under-distributed.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Duo Maxwell
United States
Antioch
Tennessee
flag msg tools
magnissimus wrote:
I think that number is from the first Kickstarter where the game was way under-distributed.

good point

https://boardgamegeek.com/thread/1702910/retail-availability...

after looking at it again I just noticed that from Jan 2017 -_-

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
marc lecours
Canada
ottawa
ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Each individual retailer has pre-ordered a certain number of games. When these have all been allocated to customer pre-orders then the retailer has to state that that item is "out of stock".

So why doesn't the retailer just order more? I guess they are either being cautious by not ordering more copies or they have tried to order more copies and have not succeeded.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Germany
flag msg tools
rubberchicken wrote:
So why doesn't the retailer just order more?

One retailer in another thread said that preorder amounts were guaranteed up until the end of the KS and everything after that could be subject to allocation. After so much frustration / bad PR from the first printing allocation I can imagine they want to avoid that again.

In other words: Most retailers should get more copies than were preordered, they just can't be sure how many, so they're not taking preorders.

On the other hand, with its award sweeps and #1 status, there's no way GH doesn't see a third (and forth, and fifth...) printing at this point.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Duo Maxwell
United States
Antioch
Tennessee
flag msg tools
piman wrote:
rubberchicken wrote:

there's no way GH doesn't see a third (and forth, and fifth...) printing at this point.

But according to them a 3rd 4th and 5th printing shouldnt be necessary.

I mean we're talking a bout board games here not video games. that is board games dont exactly sell millions of copies. I be surprised if there was even 100,000 people in the entire world on the list for wanting this game. Thus there really should be no reason to go through 10 (or even 5) printings before everyone who wants one gets one..

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Duo Maxwell
United States
Antioch
Tennessee
flag msg tools
rubberchicken wrote:
Each individual retailer has pre-ordered a certain number of games. When these have all been allocated to customer pre-orders then the retailer has to state that that item is "out of stock".

So why doesn't the retailer just order more? I guess they are either being cautious by not ordering more copies or they have tried to order more copies and have not succeeded.

Youre right "why dont the just order more" an if like you said they tried and failed then that just contradicts the whole "more than enough copies" and "EVERYONE will get one" statements. Because if theres more than enough then why are retailers attempts to order more failing? Easy because theres NOT enough.... unless you know another logical explanation?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Germany
flag msg tools
duomaxwell007 wrote:
piman wrote:
rubberchicken wrote:

there's no way GH doesn't see a third (and forth, and fifth...) printing at this point.

Yes, I should say "if it sells out, there's no way etc...".

10k is a "big" print run for a hobbyist game. Scythe, which was by most measures a massive success, was (iirc) ~30k. The number I've heard for Gloomhaven's second printing is 70k with ~half for retail. This is the first $100+ game to crack BGG's top 10, and the first unusually large box. So I don't think anyone has a really clear view what the long-term retail reaction / state is going to be.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jay Johnson
United States
Cedar Falls
Iowa
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Could be that retailers only committed to a certain number of presales, and don't want to (or can't) put themselves on the line any further, given all the delays.

I suppose there is the chance that there could end up being limited availability. But when the game creator (who is also involved in the distribution process) states that there will be plenty of copies, I tend to believe him. Of course, while I truly enjoy the game, I don't consider it (or any game or entertainment) something absolutely essential to life. And I certainly wouldn't pay some of the jacked up prices that are out there.

I have a feeling that there ARE plenty of copies of the game, but that distribution has been a real bottleneck (especially once it got pushed into overlapping the holiday season, where the distribution framework is already swamped with the normal increased holiday commerce)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Duo Maxwell
United States
Antioch
Tennessee
flag msg tools
piman wrote:
duomaxwell007 wrote:
piman wrote:
rubberchicken wrote:

Yes, I should say "if it sells out, there's no way etc...".

10k is a "big" print run for a hobbyist game. Scythe, which was by most measures a massive success, was (iirc) ~30k. The number I've heard for Gloomhaven's second printing is 70k with ~half for retail. This is the first $100+ game to crack BGG's top 10, and the first unusually large box. So I don't think anyone has a really clear view what the long-term retail reaction / state is going to be.

So according to you, Scythe was a Massive success. had 30k copies, and Scythe is readily available to buy even now at ANY store. Gloomhaven has 70k with 35k going to retail, Scythe has less in retail and its easy to find yet it a "massive success" so based on that is it not safe to say then hat Gloomhaven too should be easy to find, readily available and everyone who wants it will get it without having to wait til next year or buying it off the Market or Amazon for twice what its worth?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Germany
flag msg tools
duomaxwell007 wrote:
So according to you, Scythe was a Massive success. had 30k copies, and Scythe is readily available to buy even now at ANY store. Gloomhaven has 70k with 35k going to retail, Scythe has less in retail and its easy to find yet it a "massive success" so based on that is it not safe to say then hat Gloomhaven too should be easy to find, readily available and everyone who wants it will get it without having to wait til next year or buying it off the Market or Amazon for twice what its worth?

What does "safe" mean? What are you trying to actually figure out here?

My point is that we don't know if Gloomhaven is going to do "Twilight Struggle" numbers (in which case 70k will last a couple years) or "Ticket to Ride" numbers (in which case it'll last 6m). Or if the market is now saturated.

The retail print run is the largest there's been for a game of this size and this cost. But there's also never been a game of this size and this cost hitting so many #1 spots before, and from a sophomore designer with no publisher.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jay Johnson
United States
Cedar Falls
Iowa
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
duomaxwell007 wrote:

first printing of Gloomhaven was underproduced (i.e. the quantity produced far underestimated the demand that arose due to its massive popularity)

The second printing of Gloomhaven (which produced a far larger amount) has not even been officially released to retail yet, so comparison to Scythe (which HAS officially been released to retail and has been for quite some time) is not an apt comparison at this point in time.

The availability of Gloomhaven a few months after the actual retail release will be equivalent to what the availability of Scythe is now. (prices will still be higher for GH, since the MSRP for GH is $140, while the MSRP for Scythe I believe is somewhere around $80)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Duo Maxwell
United States
Antioch
Tennessee
flag msg tools
All I know is that theres a retailer (whos out of stock) selling Gloomhaven for dirt cheap and I wanna be able to get it at that price lol
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rob McArthur
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
duomaxwell007 wrote:

Also if there is "more than enough" they why are online retailers "out o stock" if theres gonna be "more than enough" shouldnt they keep taking pre orders til launch? "Out of Stock" signifies theres a limited number of stock coming in thus "out of stock" and unable to find it for pre order at ANY retailer suggest that theres "limited quantity" which is a direct contradiction to "more than enough copies". Right?

Retailers are ‘out of stock’ because they don’t have any to sell. The pre-orders closed ages ago in order to finalize numbers for the print run. So you’re too late to pre-order, and too soon to get non-pre-order retail copies.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
that Matt
United States
Ann Arbor
Michigan
flag msg tools
I'm a quitter. I come from a long line of quitters. It's amazing I'm here at all.
badge
I can feel bits of my brain falling away like wet cake.
mbmbmb
duomaxwell007 wrote:
All I know is that theres a retailer (whos out of stock) selling Gloomhaven for dirt cheap and I wanna be able to get it at that price lol

lol indeed.

Wait for the game to be fully in stock and it's most likely that it will settle down to a typical discount online.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Duo Maxwell
United States
Antioch
Tennessee
flag msg tools
I dont think 80 is typicak

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Freelance Police
United States
Palo Alto
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
piman wrote:
But there's also never been a game of this size and this cost hitting so many #1 spots before, and from a sophomore designer with no publisher.

Yeah, that. Jamie has several game's worth of retail experience before his big game, while, afaik, Isaac has had none. As I understand it, a retail pre-order is made something like 90 days in advance of the game's release. This time window, of course, is *after* the print run of the game. Which means the publisher still has to guess how many copies to print. Jamie said he's asked distributors (and retailers?) how many copies they want, but I can't see how retailers can give an estimate that guarantees (more or less) that a high-demand game will be in stock. unless the publisher has enough cash flow from other sources (eg. other Stonemaier games and products) to cover the the cost of the print run before retailers place their pre-order. Most retailers have several lines of games, so the cash flow from their previously released games covers the print runs of their next ones. Isaac is currently not in this position -- which is why he used KS in the first place.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
that Matt
United States
Ann Arbor
Michigan
flag msg tools
I'm a quitter. I come from a long line of quitters. It's amazing I'm here at all.
badge
mbmbmb
duomaxwell007 wrote:

It was at the original MSRP, which was a couple dozen dollars lower than it is now.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jay Johnson
United States
Cedar Falls
Iowa
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
tumorous wrote:
duomaxwell007 wrote:

It was at the original MSRP, which was a couple dozen dollars lower than it is now.

my mention of $80 was what I had seen listed in a few places as the MSRP for Scythe (though it appears to be available in numerous places for less than that). I wasn't saying that GH would or should be available for that.

Not sure if that is what DuoMaxwell was referring to or not

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
that Matt
United States
Ann Arbor
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
JayJ79 wrote:
tumorous wrote:
duomaxwell007 wrote:

my mention of $80 was what I had seen listed in a few places as the MSRP for Scythe (though it appears to be available in numerous places for less than that). I wasn't saying that GH would or should be available for that.

Not sure if that is what DuoMaxwell was referring to or not

Ah, I see. Yes, MSRP for Scythe is $80. Preorder price at the major online game stores for the first run of Gloomhaven was right around $80. I assumed that was what he was referring to ("theres a retailer (whos out of stock) selling Gloomhaven for dirt cheap").

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aldo Ghiozzi
United States
Brentwood
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmb
This is not true. Distributors preordered what they wanted back in May and all those copies are at distributors now and shipping to stores to have a JANUARY 19TH sale date.

Our company, Impressions, handles the wholesale side for Cephalofair and set this up. In addition to the copies at distributors now, we have 8000 in our warehouse to restock distribution...but those are all bought by distributors already and will go out soon.

Cephalofair has already started (back in December) to print 40,000 more that will come to us in waves and only be sold to distributors/retailers...no KS. Figure those waves will not being available though for months.

Hope this helps.

Best,
Aldo Ghiozzi
Owner
Impressions

duomaxwell007 wrote:
So I read a post on this board (forgot where it was) that says theres like 2000 copies going out to retail, and Issac Childress supposedly said IF this does sell out there will be ANOTHER reprint most likely through KS (now this is what a poster claims Issac Childress said, and not Issac himself saying it). However wouldn't that contradict his newsletter that states Retail is launching near the end of this mo nth and they made MORE then enough prints that selling out wont be an issue this time, thus EVERYONE soul have no problem getting it?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Houle
United States
San Diego
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for the info! I figured it would have to happen in waves but havent heard anything on this ( I posted the same topic thread a bit ago). So this wave is pretty much sold out people because even Amazon hasn't restocked after doing so once already and they sold out in a few days. That 8,000 remaining in their warehouse he said are sold already which I'm sure is preorders.
So this fever pitch of being sold out but still in demand with no available copies won't die until Wave 2, probably in May/June best guess.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Emilien M
France
Paris
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Wingnut wrote:
JANUARY 19TH sale date.

Our company, Impressions, handles the wholesale side for Cephalofair and set this up.

Sure does help! thanks.

It's also reassuring that even if we don't get it now, there'll be restocks throughout the year (a big chunk of the total production so quite a lot).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.