philip selesky
United States
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hello BGG,

Salvos is a 2-4 player cooperative game set in the aftermath of you crashing onto an alien planet.

Players will need to manage their personal health, while working together to keep group morale high.

As you gather resources to survive you realize that the very ground you stand on is alive, and wants you dead.

With over 260 possible character combinations, a randomized world, and player control over events, no 2 games are every the same.

Playtime is approximately 90 minutes.

I've been working on this game for over a year and half with my first blind play tests beginning last October. After making some more revisions and tightening up the rules I wanted to present it here.

The rules can be found here: https://docs.google.com/document/d/1pMYkzb3gDC7uZSFqYN_vTFE3...

The PNP files can be found here: https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/0B8BzzsvvurAiY0dYT19L...

If you have any questions, comments or thoughts feel free to share!

In the pnp files is a google form questionnaire. I'd really appreciate it if you could fill that out after so I can continue to improve Salvos.

-Thanks
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Arias
United States
Sanford
FLORIDA
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Quick pass thru the rules...

- nit on Wreckage ... normally I prefer tokens on the map, take & discard to gain the resource. That way empty map = no more resources to get. But since Salvos is a tile-layer, maybe that would be clunkier.

- "eat Organic Matter and gain an Affliction" heh heh this made me think of eating grass or raw meat.

- like the Morale mechanic ... incentive to work together and the Leader "power" is thematically cool. But wow that's tough you can never get above a funk once you decline there?

- why is there a day/night cycle on main board? Is that the default difficulty? Seems like you could just always have a card.

- could Personal Path just be footprints? Only other game I've seen with a concept like this was Rise if the Kage.

Edit: removed a stupid question and went thru the PnP PDFs.

- I like the story possibilities that could emerge from the backgrounds. Even in the Game of Life you can explain the careers, kids, etc. and I see opportunity of interesting emerging narratives happening here as well. They're very asymmetric so will have to see how they play out. A drug addict putting an injured survivor out of his misery but then going clean ...

- The events are cool, remind me of horror games like Touch of Evil, which also usually have a dread/fear mechanic that the environment and critters are attacking you with.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
philip selesky
United States
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
1. The idea of a physical piece on the map representing available resources and wreckage is waaaaaay more appealing then what I've been doing. It just felt tedious to have to put down a new tile and then look and place all of the corresponding tokens on to a tile.

2. Essentially, that's exactly what it is. Except that it would be alien raw grass or alien raw meat. Though, in this game it would be a strange combination of the 2.

3. Almost never. There are a few things that can boost morale back up above a morale bar. The Drug Addict deciding to go clean will do it. The group morale is also under attack by the planet, so when morale drops think of it as the planet working its way into the recesses of your mind. You can feel it, everywhere, always... The other reason for doing this is "quarterbacking". If your play group has that situation, then you could vote for that player to be the leader. (Then you can blame him for when you've all lost) Having this conversation actually reminded me of a change I needed to make...

4. The main board has the default difficulty. I'll probably remove that.

5.The idea of the personal path was a combination of footprints and memory. These are the areas you are familiar with. I do like your idea of changing it to "footprints"

6.It was actually your suggestion in the WIP thread about potentially unbalanced abilities that made me revisit some of the backgrounds that were only bad to give them either a good trait or a good objective to work towards.

7. The events were the biggest issue for me. Trying to have a random event happen, but not too random like you spontaneously break your leg. So only a few month ago I had the idea about the tokens on the rondel (I use that term way to loosely here). It is almost like a reverse of the event system in Robinson Crusoe, in that you have to actively work on staying safe and avoiding severe events from befalling you.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
philip selesky
United States
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
For those of you who have Tabletop Simulator (and have a lot of patience) I have created a digital version of Salvos that is available on steam: https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=14158...

All of the shuffling and player actions still need to be done manually. But it's a lot less resource demanding then the PNP.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Arias
United States
Sanford
FLORIDA
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I got the TTS mod and solo'd a 3 player game (but only Setup and 2 Rounds since bunch of questions).

Setup

Did NOT read entirety of rules first. Went top to bottom for Setup.

Nit ... turn off Player Hands in TTS. When zoomed in real close it messes with card flips/moves. Also turn off Snap in TTS for Tokens and Wreckage components as it messes with placing them properly.

Nit ... TTS version need more contrast between start/offline tokens on Main Board and the board itself. For some reason didn't catch the white on white. There are a lot of tracking tokens that aren't called out as components in Setup (e.g. cover Tile icons, mark Bonuses on Char Sheet, etc.). I think these were mentioned in a PnP file but not in formal setup here.

Nit ... in TTS version fill out the Components' Name/Description fields so easier to find. I couldn't figure out Food Tokens were green from the Rules until I went thru the PnP Component file.

Character Card = "A Survivor"? Maybe call these Survivor Cards?
Is "A Survivor" side the facedown side? Do you randomly or select these? I accidentally had all 3 as "A Survivor". I vaguely remember comments on this from the WIP thread but couldn't remember.

Where does the Background Card go? To Hand? To Char Card? I think it goes in upper-left ?

Deal 2 Wreckage ...
- I assume these are from Starting Wreckage deck, which is shuffled before-hand?
- Are these kept in hand or "slotted" faceup on Char Card? (I played latter)
- Discarding facedown is a bit confusing since there's no Board/Mat space for the discard pile, and you could get the Draw pile vs. discard pile mixed up. Sounds like these are "put back in box facedown" (i.e. removed from play / "destroyed") vs. truly discarded?
- If Card has a slot for "Power", unusable until you put a Mineral Resource Token in the slot?

When during Setup do you shuffle the Event Deck?

"Crash Site Inventory" needs to be clarified in Setup as "on the Main Board". In description of Main Board this is clear, but that was AFTER Setup so missed that.

Confused on Terrain setup.
- first 6 Tiles placed around Crash Site Tile ... what are those drawn from? TTS has a bunch of stacks, are all those to be shuffled facedown together? I just pulled 6 facedown from the top of various stacks without shuffling them first..
- Are they placed facedown or faceup? I placed facedown, but then the rules for Travel and Explore Actions didn't make sense so I changed faceup.
- "Rules of terrain edges" - don't see this defined anywhere. Is this referring to the Yellow border rule ?
- "bottom of the deck" - "the deck" isn't defined anywhere. Did you mean shuffle everything except Crash Site and Shuttle, draw 6 and place around Crash Site, then draw 10 and shuffle Shuttle into them, put on bottom and stack rest of Tiles on top of that? That's how I played it.
- These should also be placed into a TTS Bag for easier shuffling.

Is the "event chart" the same as the "event rondel" on the Main Board?

For Player Pieces, clarify which ones are which? I played as
- Event Token = round Go piece since that's what Main Board uses.
- HP Token = the other round one. But in components file on PnP says BOTH round ones are for Events and go on the Event space on Main Board, so thinking this is something else?
- There's also supposed to be an AP Token for Char Sheet but wasn't sure if that was in TTS?
- Personal Path Tokens = the rectangles
- "Pawn / Char Token" for Map = the joystick Pawns
- Elsewhere in rules there's also apparently some kind of Bonus Token for upper-right of Char Sheet ?

Clarify in setup that Players may place both Event Tokens on the same or different space of the Event Rondel (this is clarified in Event resolution way down at bottom but should be in Setup).

I assume Players place their Pawns on the Crash Site Tile to start?

Does "choose a Food bonus" mean "take 1 Food Token" or "move the Food Bonus Token on Char Sheet to one of the temp powers" ? Since start of 1st Round you have to Eat, but you won't have any Food Tokens.

Nit ... "has 4 personal path tokens" change to "take 4 Personal Path Tokens (rest to side as a supply or something)" because of the Explorers power.

Eat vs. Starve ... where are these described?
- I think "Eat" means at start of Round, everyone needs to discard 1 Food / Organic (which gets them a temp Power on Char Sheet?).
- This is also the only way to regenerate AP?
- If don't "Eat" at start of round, then "Starve" which I assume is a Penalty, but where is that covered and where does Char Sheet describe it? From Survivalist special sounds like Draw Affliction.

In Round Order what is "until the groups AP is depleted" ? I thought each Player takes 1 Action, pays AP cost, might have leftover AP. If ever AP=0, can't take Actions (until replenish via Leader power, or Eat Food Bonus ?).

"Resolve Event" = "draw an Event Card and then follow the '--Events--' rules section" ?

When does the Planet attack you? (looking at rules for colored Move costs on Tiles).

For an Event triggered by a Tile and not by Event Die, do you resolve top half or bottom half of card? Does it still depend on where your Event Tokens placed (how I played it) ?

Scorching Heat Event Card - was drawn by the last Player's Turn triggered by a Tile effect; does not say Permanent or Persistent, so only takes effect for rest of Round then discarded after last Player's Turn? Does the movement the last Player took to enter this Tile trigger the -1HP ?

Explore Action - draw Tile faceup yes?

Personal Path Tokens - do you put one on Crash Site Tile at start, or only if you backtrack to it from one of the other surrounding Tiles?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
philip selesky
United States
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
crazybyzantine wrote:
I got the TTS mod and solo'd a 3 player game (but only Setup and 2 Rounds since bunch of questions).

Wow. I hadn't even noticed all those issues before. I really appreciate you taking the time to attempt to play and for the feedback. I have to work all day today, but I will look into these tonight and get back to you.

I am curious why the board is white, it's red on my end...surprise

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Arias
United States
Sanford
FLORIDA
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
carsonflintlock wrote:

Wow. I hadn't even noticed all those issues before.

NP....Welcome to blind playtesting!

FWIW, even pro published games have those kinds of issues. For some examples, check out the rulebooks of Lost Valley and Alien Uprising and my cheatsheet attempts in their Files.

I think Watch It Played also started some threads/videos on good vs. bad rulebook writing, and there are TONS of forum posts on the subject. Personally, I treat rulebooks as Legal Contracts and as Computer Algorithms ... those put me in the right state of mind for precise definitions, wordsmithing and game flow articulation (esp. if game has a bunch of "conditional" rules or "event-driven" things you must remember during a Turn).

carsonflintlock wrote:

I am curious why the board is white, it's red on my end...surprise

Could be an image issue or other TTS issue ... google the TTS forums?
I've only done one TTS before (but local only, not as mod on Steam ... could use a cheatsheet for that).

One TTS quirk I noticed because it happened to me ... your Char Sheets are done as "Mats" (can't remember the TTS name for it). The TTS physics engine sometimes makes large "Mats" "blow in the breeze" and it has sometimes tipped over components. I never figured out why, it was an easy fix to change all my "mats" to a custom deck and problem solved.

My comment on a TTS bag for shuffling a deck/pile/stack of chipboard Tiles was learning how to do that while playtesting Project Darkstar: Betrayal in Space (which is very fun if you like "Alien" type beer & pretzels).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Connaughton
msg tools
mbmbmbmb
This sounds really interesting! Looks like I won't be able to get a 2+ player game going for this for a while, but I can do a rules edit if you want / need. Let me know if you would like me to do that.
Thanks!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
philip selesky
United States
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
jakoseto wrote:
This sounds really interesting! Looks like I won't be able to get a 2+ player game going for this for a while, but I can do a rules edit if you want / need. Let me know if you would like me to do that.
Thanks!

Thanks. I appreciate the offer, though I wouldn't want to burden you with it. I'm chipping away at it myself and bringing all of the various verbiage into order. If you would like to take a stab at it feel free

I have updated the TTS files. I have implemented several fixes you suggested crazybyzantine. I'm working on getting a TTS version of the rules put together, as I have had to adjust how some aspects of the game are implemented.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Connaughton
msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Hello If you want to message me when you are done chipping away at the rules, I can give them a read/edit then.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
philip selesky
United States
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I have updated all of the events so that they are correctly labeled to distinguish who they effect. I've also adjusted some of the wording to explain what they do.

For example "scorching heat"
Old

New

I've also added a "quick reference" version of the rules to TTS that is specifically designed for the TTS version. It addresses many of the issues that you pointed out crazybyzantine, and is designed to help with set up. The regular rules would cover everything else. Hopefully this helps, but I will keep working on it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Arias
United States
Sanford
FLORIDA
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
New rules looking MUCH better and thanks for a TTS version that will help. I'll give this another try soon.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
philip selesky
United States
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
crazybyzantine wrote:
New rules looking MUCH better and thanks for a TTS version that will help. I'll give this another try soon.

Thank you for the fresh eyes and feed back. I really appreciate it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Arias
United States
Sanford
FLORIDA
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I really like the Personal Path mechanic, now that it's easier for me to grok the benefits of it. I haven't seen a mechanic like that before in hex-based explore-survive type games, and that should create some agonizing decisions mid-game when figuring out where to go next since it removes your farthest token.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonah Berlin

New York
msg tools
badge
Yes, we are friends.
mbmbmbmbmb

TTS unfortunately has a lot of issues with LUTs not looking anywhere near the same from table to table. I play with a couple Windoze users (I use a Linux pc for my gaming and Steam games have played mostly flawlessly from the client, I'm not into the newest best gfx/FPS type games so it doesn't bother me that they don't care about Linux).

I can find no rhyme or reason why colors will suddenly stop looking the right way for certain people in TTS. There are so many minor forms of color blindness that many people don't even know they are color blind in those hues or colors. Sometimes simply forcing a model to reload will correct glitches, sometimes you have to perform a color blindness test for the poor person using dice in real time.

-farflung tts moderator
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
philip selesky
United States
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Jonah G wrote:

I can find no rhyme or reason why colors will suddenly stop looking the right way for certain people in TTS.

I think it was squarely on me this time. I still had the table asset set to upload locallywhistle. I think it's better now.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
philip selesky
United States
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I've just updated the TTS files with the new character cards.

All negative resource skills have been removed. There is now only 1 HP Bar at the 50% mark. And there is a new line on the Bonus Action chart which allows players to take rest actions back-to-back.

The Doctor's ability has also been updated to reflect the changes in HP Bars. Now they can choose to let another player heal 2 HP or cross an HP Bar.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
philip selesky
United States
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I have uploaded the newest versions of files to the PNP (here: https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B8BzzsvvurAiY0dYT19LLXpORW... ) and TTS.

The HP Bar has been moved up from the 50% mark to the 66% mark.

The System of Life Support has been adjusted. Now, when charged to level 2, Life Support will convert 2 Organic Material into 3 Food. (previously it would convert 2 Organic Material into 2 Food)

All terrain tiles that rolled "random" damage have been replaced with either physical or mental damage. When rolling for the Creature, you still roll Random dice for each unexplored location adjacent to the tile you are on.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben Munson
Australia
Brisbane
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi Phil!

Took some time to play through your game on TTS. I played a two player game with the Hunter and the Biologist. My day/night card was the easy 2 night/2 day with 3 nighttime creature dice and 5 daytime creature dice. I lost because of morale and was killed by a red 'creature sensitivity' card. Now, to the meaty stuff.

I love the event wheel/rondel! It’s a nice way of adding a bit of randomness without flooding characters with unfortunate circumstances each round. Did you get the idea from another game? Also, the ‘personal path’ is a great idea to speed up exploration and the ‘horrific scream’ event excited me a little too!

Below are some notable player choices I made while playing:

• I never took the ‘change event wheel’ or ‘-1 monster die’ player bonus actions
• I only used the ‘+1 combat’ player bonus action once (the rules say +2 and the card says +1, by the way…wasn’t sure which to take)
• I never increased weapons on the system track
• I never used my ‘background’ abilities. Admittedly one I had to die in order to use (Resilient), but the other (Relentless) I didn’t touch because HP seemed too valuable to lose.
• I took the ‘leader ability’ and HP player bonus action whenever I needed to use up spare AP
• I only used the ‘+2 combat’ food ability once, and that round I didn’t encounter any combat

Now onto some parts I found a bit unclear.
1. Creature sensitivity - Do you draw each time you gather? Do you discard that card straight away? I was playing with one creature sensitivity card face up then drawing a new one whenever I gathered and discarded the old one. Is this correct? What happens if all creature sensitivity cards are drawn?
2. The combat mechanic took me a while to get my head around and took a few reads to fully comprehend. It might be able to be streamlined somehow, maybe by replacing the combat tokens with the ‘player abilities/creature sensitivity’ dies somehow?

Now, some suggestions. Take these with a grain of salt as this is the first time I’ve playtested something and given feedback.

1. Have you thought about adding a timer/urgency to the game? I found myself playing it safe by spending a whole round just healing without any repercussions (the only downfall would be if you didn’t have food stockpiled, of course). The lack of urgency could slow the gameplay down a little in a larger game, given there’s no Eldritch Horror ‘omen track’ or Pandemic ‘Epidemics’ pushing the game along. (note that this comment is in relation to my interpretation of the ‘new creature sensitivity each time you gather’ rules. The creature sensitivity deck could easily be used as a timing mechanism by discarding one each round if that is how it was intended to be played!)

2. Afflictions are big depleters. Have you thought about ways to bring the hit down a little if you find yourself without food? What about a ‘push your luck’ mechanic where a set of two or three HP/morale afflictions inflict a higher penalty? (e.g. lose 3 HP for 2 red afflictions, but 0 HP for just one). This mechanic would probably replace the 0HP cards in there as your buffer.

3. Same goes for the ability dice, those -2’s are killers! Have thought about bringing them down to -1, or replacing them with 1 more physical/mental stack?

4. Early game was a little slow. Having a ‘communal footprints’ stack based on the number of players might cut down some early game exploration time and encourage a bit of interaction/discussion between players. This, or bring down the number of terrain tiles in the initial bag.

5. I would call the ‘Life Support’ systems or the ‘Life Support’ shuttle item something else. I found the Life Support before my shuttle and then was second guessing whether I needed that item to upgrade my Life Support systems at the crash site before taking the actions.

Now some questions for my own curiosity.

1. What is your reasoning behind the ‘needs to have two vacant edges’ when placing a tile thing?
2. Does the Leader card ever change players?
3. Did you intentionally have flavour text at a minimum, or is this being added later/the future art will do the talking?
4. Is the combat player bonus action +1 or +2? (mentioned above)

Finally, some nitpicky items to remove confusion if someone else wanted to try this on TTS.

Quick Reference Guide
• First set up step – 1. Place this card in the area marked Day/Night Cycle on the Main Board and place a reference token on the left-most space.
• personal path action – add you do not increase the cost to travel on your personal path at night (it’s in the rule book, but adding it to the QRG would be beneficial)
• explore action – you could add ignore the printed movement cost on a tile when using the explore action for clarification.
• Food health bar action – reword this to spend 1 AP to pass through the HP bar or spend 1 AP to bring health above the HP bar (or something similar.)

Rulebook
• Combat – the rules states ‘1. Gather dice corresponding to each of the terrain tiles surrounding your current tile’. Does this include the tile you’re on? Might benefit by mentioning the total number of dice you will be rolling (I was rolling 7 just FYI which may have contributed to my losing the game. I did only battle 5 times though.)

Hopefully my comments above can help you refine it even further

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
philip selesky
United States
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Osailor wrote:

I love the event wheel/rondel! It’s a nice way of adding a bit of randomness without flooding characters with unfortunate circumstances each round. Did you get the idea from another game? Also, the ‘personal path’ is a great idea to speed up exploration and the ‘horrific scream’ event excited me a little too!

Thanks! I haven't seen the event rondel in another game before. The original method for generating events was far to clumsy and gave players no influence on what could happen to themselves. Everyone seems to enjoy the personal paths. When I first introduced them in the game there were 37 terrain tiles! So they were greatly appreciated, but that was way too many tiles.

Osailor wrote:

Below are some notable player choices I made while playing:

• I never took the ‘change event wheel’ or ‘-1 monster die’ player bonus actions
• I only used the ‘+1 combat’ player bonus action once (the rules say +2 and the card says +1, by the way…wasn’t sure which to take)
• I never increased weapons on the system track
• I never used my ‘background’ abilities. Admittedly one I had to die in order to use (Resilient), but the other (Relentless) I didn’t touch because HP seemed too valuable to lose.
• I took the ‘leader ability’ and HP player bonus action whenever I needed to use up spare AP
• I only used the ‘+2 combat’ food ability once, and that round I didn’t encounter any combat

Many of the Ship Systems are situational useful depending on what survivors you are playing with.

Osailor wrote:

1. Creature sensitivity - Do you draw each time you gather? Do you discard that card straight away? I was playing with one creature sensitivity card face up then drawing a new one whenever I gathered and discarded the old one. Is this correct? What happens if all creature sensitivity cards are drawn?

Every time you gather resources, but after you roll to see if you're attacked, you draw a new Creature Sensitivity card. So you were playing correctly. If you run out of all the cards the final card drawn become the Creatures permanent state. (I should really add that to the rules!)

Osailor wrote:

2. The combat mechanic took me a while to get my head around and took a few reads to fully comprehend. It might be able to be streamlined somehow, maybe by replacing the combat tokens with the ‘player abilities/creature sensitivity’ dies somehow?

This is one area that I constantly look at because I feel it's too clunky, but as the designer I feel everything is clunky. So I'm glad I'm not alone. I am working on streamlining it significantly by adding the combat values of the dice to the tiles themselves. Then you would roll 2 dice: one for sensitivity and the other for which combat values will be activated. In this version you would wager combat points before roll to see it you're attacked. This would drop the number of dice down from 30 to 2, but many other in game mechanisms would have to be altered to reflect the changes.

Osailor wrote:

1. Have you thought about adding a timer/urgency to the game? I found myself playing it safe by spending a whole round just healing without any repercussions (the only downfall would be if you didn’t have food stockpiled, of course). The lack of urgency could slow the gameplay down a little in a larger game, given there’s no Eldritch Horror ‘omen track’ or Pandemic ‘Epidemics’ pushing the game along. (note that this comment is in relation to my interpretation of the ‘new creature sensitivity each time you gather’ rules. The creature sensitivity deck could easily be used as a timing mechanism by discarding one each round if that is how it was intended to be played!)

Initially I had intended for the scarcity of food and diminishing health to be the urgency mechanism of the game. But I see how healing fully would eliminate that feeling. I like your suggestion about discarding a card from the Creature Sensitivity deck each round (I had also thought of trimming the number of cards in the deck down, but I think your idea works better).

Osailor wrote:

2. Afflictions are big depleters. Have you thought about ways to bring the hit down a little if you find yourself without food? What about a ‘push your luck’ mechanic where a set of two or three HP/morale afflictions inflict a higher penalty? (e.g. lose 3 HP for 2 red afflictions, but 0 HP for just one). This mechanic would probably replace the 0HP cards in there as your buffer.

I really like this idea! I'm now working on replacing the current system with this idea. In the version I'm testing there are only Mental and Physical cards in the Affliction deck. You draw 1 card for eating Organic Material and 2 for starving. You suffer no penalty for having 1 of a card type, but you do not discard it. You suffer -1 HP if you have 2 Physical cards and -1 Morale if you have 2 Mental cards. If you have 3 Physical or 3 Mental (from eating Organic Material in one round and then starving in another round) then you suffer -2 in the respective area.

Osailor wrote:

3. Same goes for the ability dice, those -2’s are killers! Have thought about bringing them down to -1, or replacing them with 1 more physical/mental stack?

All the -2's are killer. I had recently been working on adjusted dice values. My initial thought had been to remove some of the 1 values and replace them with 0's on the Physical and Mental dice, but I would like to take a deeper look now.

Osailor wrote:

4. Early game was a little slow. Having a ‘communal footprints’ stack based on the number of players might cut down some early game exploration time and encourage a bit of interaction/discussion between players. This, or bring down the number of terrain tiles in the initial bag.

Do you think it would feel quicker if there was more urgency (like using your idea about discarding Creature Sensitivity cards each round)?

What's frightening is that this game used to have even more terrain tiles.

Osailor wrote:

5. I would call the ‘Life Support’ systems or the ‘Life Support’ shuttle item something else. I found the Life Support before my shuttle and then was second guessing whether I needed that item to upgrade my Life Support systems at the crash site before taking the actions.

2 things having the same name is not a good idea. I'll change that ASAP. Thanks for pointing that out.

Osailor wrote:

1. What is your reasoning behind the ‘needs to have two vacant edges’ when placing a tile thing?

The shoreline tile cannot have tiles explored on it's 2 yellow edges. I didn't want a shoreline to be placed where it would have a tile touching one of those edges.

Osailor wrote:

2. Does the Leader card ever change players?

Only if the Leader dies. A new Leader is voted for from the Survivors who did not die this round.

Osailor wrote:

3. Did you intentionally have flavour text at a minimum, or is this being added later/the future art will do the talking?

I intentionally kept it to a minimum to save on ink and card space. It would be added it later. I don't see there being too much art on cards in the future (apart from wreckage cards and terrain)

Osailor wrote:

4. Is the combat player bonus action +1 or +2? (mentioned above)

I need to check the rules for consistency, but there are 2 different combat bonuses. One is a +2 that you can choose when eating Food, the other is a +1 you can gain for spending 1 AP.

Osailor wrote:

• Combat – the rules states ‘1. Gather dice corresponding to each of the terrain tiles surrounding your current tile’. Does this include the tile you’re on? Might benefit by mentioning the total number of dice you will be rolling (I was rolling 7 just FYI which may have contributed to my losing the game. I did only battle 5 times though.)

You should only roll 6; one for each tile adjacent to your current position.

How does this sound for rewording it: “Gather 6 dice, one for each tile adjacent to where you are now”?

Thank you so much for taking the time to play and for giving me some great feedback!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
philip selesky
United States
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I've uploaded new terrain tiles for Salvos. However, these are part of a larger change to the game. As a result the rules, character cards, and some other actions have need to be updated as well, but have not yet been updated on TTS. These should be done within the next 2 days. If you are attempting to play and it doesn't seem to make any sense I apologize.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
philip selesky
United States
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
All of the new files for TTS have been uploaded!

Combat has been streamlined significantly. All Combat values are now listed on the tiles themselves and 30 dice have been reduced down to 2.

All abilities and events that used the old dice have been converted to using a single d6 with values 1-6. The d6 with A-E is used only for combat.

There is a new step for every round: discarding an Aggression Card (formerly Creature Sensitivity). This takes place after the event phase and before player turns.

Character cards have been updated to reflect the new d6 system. The inventory penalty of losing your character ability has been replaced with +1 to all of your Aggression rolls.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
philip selesky
United States
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The TTS and PNP files have both been updated with new character cards.

You no longer have to equip and unequip items. You now have 3 wreckage card slots on you player board, and you can hold any combination of cards there. However, you my only use 1 of each card type at a time (ie. you cannot use 2 Plasma Rifles at the same time, but you can hold 2).

There is also a cosmetic change: the AP track has been moved to the left side of the board. This was done to reduce the likely hood of accidentally lowering HP instead of AP (and vise versa).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
philip selesky
United States
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Character cards have again been updated.

The old chart that let players choose a bonus when they ate food has been replaced with a chart that unlocks new bonuses as players eat food.

When you eat food, you place the token onto the track (1 for the first time, 2 for the 2nd and so on). When you want to use the bonus unlocked by that tier of food, simply slide the food token onto the bonus to show you have taken it. The combat bonus is taken only during combat, the AP bonus is taken immediately after assigning AP from eating, and the other bonuses are used as free actions.

The top tier food bonus is the ability for your character to make a Morale roll as a free action (allowing for any character, not just the Leader, to increase Morale).

Whenever you eat food, all prior tiers are refreshed, allowing you to take those bonuses again.

The same penalties and bonuses apply for eating Organic material or starving, except that if you have unused bonuses from eating food, these are automatically exhausted without using them.

The Wreckage cards no longer include the "Hull Pieces" cards, and now starting wreckage does not include the "Powered Exoskeleton". This card is included with the "Dead Body" cards that are shuffled into the Wreckage deck.

The Background titled "Sociopath" has been renamed "Callous". Mechanically it functions the same way; preventing you from obtaining any of the penalties or the bonus of the Morale Track.

All of these files have been updated in the PNP files (here: https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B8BzzsvvurAiY0dYT19LLXpORW... ) and Tabletop Simulator files (search for Salvos in the Tabletop Simulator section of the Steam workshop).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.