Dragonfire» Forums » Rules

Subject: Rules Question rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Chris Castillo
United States
California
flag msg tools
Can you play cards if you don't deal damage to do the effects of the card?

For example, say I face an encounter and it's current track is arcane damage.

I only have martial class cards in my hand and one of which is tower shield. It's effect is encounters facing you deal -1 damage.

Can I play this even though it doesn't damage the encounter so I can use it's effects (encounter does -1 damage to me) and also get the bonus of using the double sword icon on it as well?

I thought about this last night while playing but opted not to because it wasn't in the rules but now that I think about it, I think you can play the card because I can't find in the rules anything about it.

The rules say during your turn "Play cards from your hand one at a time" so why not?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Patrik Severinsson
Sweden
Sundbyberg
Sundbyberg
flag msg tools
...microbrewed beer.
badge
...more hops, better die rolls.
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes, you can play cards even if they won't have any effect in the Deal damage phase.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin
United States
Missouri
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes absolutely, put anything in the damage pool u want. If the damage icons don’t apply when assigning damage oh well, use that text. U can also discard at will to get down to 3 cards so u can draw 2 cards during the replenish phase!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Castillo
United States
California
flag msg tools
Thanks! I figured I played it wrong but always want to be sure I know the rules 100% (or as best I can).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andy Garvens
United States
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
OW!
badge
Suuuuuuuperrrrr!
mbmbmbmbmb
To elaborate. You can play cards from your hand and other party members can play assist cards from their hands. As you play the cards you apply any text on them.
Once all the cards are played the active player takes and assigns the card damage in whatever order they choose. The only rule is that you cannot divide up damage from one card between 2 encounters unless stated otherwise.

So yeah, you can play cards just for their text and not their damage, but also consider that the damage isn't assigned or ordered until the active player does so.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin
United States
Missouri
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Which means as long as it isn’t your turn , you can play your own assist cards on your own encounters. Many first time players don’t understand this.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
B C Z
United States
Reston
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
kcurtis wrote:
Which means as long as it isn’t your turn , you can play your own assist cards on your own encounters. Many first time players don’t understand this.

You can play your own assists during another player's turn.

The Active Player gets to assign the damage.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter Hofland
Netherlands
flag msg tools
mb
Not immediate obvious when I started playing but text effects can be to any encounter while damage can be to any other encounter. So they can be on two different encounters that are engaged with two different characters. In a sense you can ‘spit’ text effects from damage.

This assumes no location encounters in play.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin
United States
Missouri
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
byronczimmer wrote:

Correct, and they can assign this damage to encounters in front of you. Therefore you can in essence play your assist cards on your own encounters when it's not your turn. Very cool.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
B C Z
United States
Reston
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
kcurtis wrote:
byronczimmer wrote:

Correct, and they can assign this damage to encounters in front of you. Therefore you can in essence play your assist cards on your own encounters when it's not your turn. Very cool.

You can play them.
You do not get to dictate their use.

It's a minor quibble in a cooperative game, but it's an important distinction.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.